2006 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
DON'T buy a Volvo
By teddym on 04/03/12 06:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My XC-90 is horrible, front to back. Friends don’t let friends buy volvo’s. Treatment from the volvo dealerships in Houston is horrible, unless you are super rich, they will certainly hook you up, otherwise, bring your checkbook. You pay out the nose to own a volvo. My xc-90? 3 sets of wheel bearings burned out, the rear end went out, the fuel pump has already been replaced, the CURRENT check engine light issue will cost me $1,000, just put $1,500 into it to get the steering column to work again, the Houston dealership seriously jacked me over. you HAVE to take it to the dealership. They know they've got you by the throat. OBTW, my windshield leaks. Headlights fogged from inside. $500 each

Would never ever recommend or purchase again!
By lassiterlisa on 08/03/11 14:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 a year ago, had 77K miles on it, but was in excellent condition and we thought very safe for our family. We didn't know it had a transmission that COULD NOT be repaired ONLY REPLACED. The Volvo dealership informed us that this particular transmission was not repairable. Unfortunately our warranty company wouldn't ok the replacement so we had to transfer the car to a transmission repair facility to try and rebuild it. They were able to get all the parts needed but 1 and Volvo wouldn't sell the 1 part that would fix our car. SO we had to purchase a USED transmission for $5,700.00 (new would have been $7,500).

In love with my Volvo
By Volvoluvr on 08/25/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased my Volvo used in 2007 and it had 36,000 miles on it. We had recently had our second child and loved the safety features and quality of this car. (Not to mention it is beautiful) It came with a few flaws, poor fuel consumption and rear doors that don't open wide enough in the back to get kids/groceries misc in and out. Third row is a joke really, no room for normal sized adults. Ok for children but hard to get them in and out. Overall this vehicle made me happy for 3 years and we never had any repairs other than scheduled maintenance. Just traded it in on a minivan due to our THIRD child arriving, but still missing my Volvo. I'll have another one again someday.

V8 loaded & love it!
By Ski on 07/07/10 16:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

110k mi & still drives fantastic! Smooth, powerful, tight handling & fun to drive. Happy with whole drivetrain. Only problem so far was the "infotainment software bug," which was fixed with quick update @ dealer. DON'T get turbo model with "garbage" GM transmission. The V8's avg 1mpg gas penalty is worth every drop! '05+ Yamaha V8 model has better Aisan Warner 6-speed & nice AWD system. Did i mention the significant testicular fortitude?

Very Happy with my XC90
By Holly on 01/31/10 15:44 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in Nov of 2008 and have had it for almost a year and a half. I have not had one problem with this car. I am very pleased with the performance. The gas mileage could be better but i knew that going in. The interior does not have enough space for all my stuff but I manage. I really love driving this car and feel very safe in it.

Solid as a rock
By Brady on 11/08/08 18:45 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We've had the XC90 since Dec. 05 and have only performed scheduled maintenance. Comfort, safety, and reliability have been excellent.

So far, so good
By amy on 09/07/07 12:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my '06 for 16 months now but before that had an 05. Just test drove an ML 350 from Mercedes and I must say I prefer my Volvo. Granted the ML had a few features that were nice but overall, my Volvo had much more comfortable seats and more features for the price, i.e. dvd system, memory driver's seat, etc. I also have much more cargo area in my Volvo and because it's a bigger car I have more legroom and just feel safer. Close the doors on the Mercedes and do the same with the Volvo and you'll know the difference. My only gripe so far with the Volvo is the cheaply made stereo speaker units in the front corners. Should be better for a 50K+ vehicle.

Excellent car
By Wally on 07/30/07 00:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

An excellent car, firm ride. You have the feeling of being in a safe car. Goes through snow with ease. Very good handling. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe car. Gas mileage is a bit off and the gas tank is relatively small for a car of this size.

Not reliable at all!
By Lorraine on 07/28/07 13:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love the ride but it has died in the middle of a busy intersection twice. It had to be towed back to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump and we are waiting to see what they think it is this time. The driver's side beam has had to be replaced twice. The DVD system works intermittently. I thought Volvos were supposed to be dependable and safe. I have a 3 year old and I am going to have to get something else unfortunately.

XC90 T6 AWD vs. XC90 V8 AWD
By DENNIS on 03/15/07 07:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2003 XC90 T6 new. Traded it in for a XC90 V8 in 2006. Totally different vehicle. Engine powerful and quiet. No comparison with the T6. T6 noisy, rough running and a gas hog. V8 smooth as silk and much better MPG. Also, the T6 was a five passenger, the V8 a 7. The V8 rides much smoother because of the self leveling rear. All in all a world class vehicle with a top IIHS safety rating. You can spend a lot more money on an SUV and I don't think you can buy a much better vehicle. Dollar for dollar an excellent investment.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.