Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Most Helpful|
4 Runner
By George

2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable car from an engine and systems standpoint. Wish the mileage efficiency was higher. Suspension is a bit hard; it bounces quite a bit on small bumps on the road.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage efficiency - suspension a bit hard.

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
By GMan5380

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been, by far, the sweetest vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing has gone wrong in over 200k miles. Not even any rattles or squeaks. It drives like the day I drove it home from the dealer. It does have a few design problems, but otherwise it is a great vehicle. Anti-slip device can be hazardous when pulling into traffic from a snow-covered side street. I have been stranded in the middle of a main road with no power for 2-3 seconds after leaving a snow-covered side street. When this device engages, it drastically reduces power to the drive wheels. Works great when you are at speed, but when trying to quickly slip into traffic, it can be a problem. This device cannot be shut off.

Favorite Features

Brakes: After 215k miles just had front brakes pads and rotors replaced for the first time. Rear brakes are still OK. I opted for the towing package, maybe oversize brakes come with that option. Tire wear is great. Replacement Michelins lasted 120k with two rotations.

Suggested Improvements

Anti-skid device needs an 'off' switch. Driverís Seat Adjustment Lever needs to be re-configured. Some shoes with fabric heel loops can become snagged on the seat lever. This happened to me while in cruise control at 70mph. A truly scary awakening when I attempted to apply the brakes.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

2001 4RUNNER FRAME CORROSION
By maine4runner

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Been a good vehicle to date, but the latest issue is major. Frame corrosion by muffler which will not pass inspection without getting fixed. This is at 112K miles and 11 years. Beside the chrome bumpers which I just replaced, the rest of the car is perfect. Toyota response is a case #, and will not tell me how many cases have been reported. The local dealer has had a few come in with the same issue. Searching the internet, I find many people with similiar issues. Anybody having similiar experiance.

Favorite Features

The rest of the vehicle has been very reliable.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By sambot

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove this thing from Waterloo, IA all the way to PHX, AZ without stopping (besides to get gas). Never overheated, and I was hauling a 8 foot aluminum trailer. Engine is not powerful by any means, but it is reliable. Seats are comfy and interior design is simple with room for mods. I honestly believe this SUV was the best ever made.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

front suspension components.