2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2006 Forester X
By subtex on 01/22/07 08:09 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee for the Forester. It was getting a little tired and I wanted something that would get better fuel economy and still have some off road capability. I wasn't disappointed in these 2 respects. The highway mileage is outstanding (31.6 on a recent trip) and the Forester is astonishing off road in deep sand and even climbing sand hills that we have out here in west Texas. It does however have a couple of annoying problems with the drivetrain management as mentioned in other Forester reviews. Those are the engine revving very high on cold starts and the drivetrain jerk at low speeds. Also the engine has a distinct lack of low end power in my opinion.

MY 06 SUBARU
By roger evans on 09/06/06 07:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car has exceptional quality and handling; the only problem is I am a big man and getting in and out is a little problem at times. If you could make an auto seat that would drop back when getting out and return you to where you were comfortable when getting back in would be exceptional design. Otherwise my Subaru is an great auto.

Great Little Car
By retrogrouch on 06/02/06 11:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a white 2006 2.5X with a 5-speed manual transmission, including a rear differential cover, a Class II hitch, and mudflaps. The miles per gallon isn't quite what I'd like to have, but otherwise it's a great little car. For trips with my small family (spouse and small child), I put a Yakima RocketBox on the factory rack, and then we have plenty of room. The power is sufficient, and it's surprisingly quiet on the road. The handling is very good, and the 5-speed is fun. I first thought that the hill-holder feature was only clever, but it's actually useful. I like the clearance a whole bunch, and it's cool to sit up in traffic too. Economical, roomy, dependable, comfortable, and quick. What more do most people need?

2006 Forester
By K Barnes on 05/25/06 19:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a car for snow trips that got better mileage than my gas guzzling Jeep Wrangler. I average 22-24 in town and once got 31 mpg going 65 on the flats of Utah. It is a stick. Does great in snow. It is also roomy because of its boxy shape. The rear seat footroom is minimal however. The headrests are too far forward. The black dotted material on the door will chafe your elbows if you rest them there. I find the car quiet which others say is noisy. Car has tight turning radius. Did not buy it for its looks. Is functional not fashionable. High ground clearance prevents a lot of bottoming out. Needs a telescoping steering wheel. Have to reach too far to reach wheel with seat back.

Small SUV with Spunk
By ERM on 02/24/06 12:26 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good power on steep hills while rather smooth ride for an SUV. Great value for the cost.

Don't get a 2006 5-speed manual
By wlv on 12/30/05 00:23 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 5-speed in Oct '05. Problems after 2 weeks. After "cold starting" vehicle and putting in gear, when clutch is pressed in, RPMs shoot up to 3000+. When clutch is released, RPMs go to around 1500. Press clutch in again, RPMs shoot back up. Can put car in 1st gear, and without pressing accelerator, car accelerates to about 20mph with RPMs climbing to 3000+. One time I kept clutch depressed to observe RPMs. RPMs went through a series of about 6 large damped oscillations over a period of 30- 45 seconds. Malfunction is very repeatable. Took car to 2 dealerships. Neither able to diagnose and repair. Safety concern ... so I am contacting the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Fuel Problems
By Richard on 12/07/05 20:11 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new ‘06 Forester with the 5-speed manual transmission in Sept ’05. After 3800 miles, it has three annoying, potentially dangerous characteristics. The engine races uncontrollably during cold starts after the clutch is released, it bucks when throttle is lightly depressed, and engine speed cycles when slowing to a stop with clutch depressed. The cold start problem is dangerous, as the car will accelerate briskly and unexpectedly to 20 MPH. I haven’t run into anything yet, but I caution other drivers about this condition. The dealer is cooperative but unable to fix the problem. Subaru says all ‘06 Forester 5-speeds do this. They are working on a fix, but nothing yet.

OK but still room for improvement
By bobo on 10/04/05 16:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester replaced a 2003 Honda CR-V. The Forester has acceleration equal to the Honda, but I expected the Forester to be better since it has more horsepower and less weight. The Forester has much better handling on mountain roads (where I mostly drive). The Honda had disc brakes on all wheels, but Subaru saved a few bucks by providing drum brakes at the rear. The Honda had much more interior room and miscellaneous storage spaces. The Forester has some annoying buzzes and rattles in the dash area on rough roads. Even at 75,000 miles, the Honda had none. The controls on the Forester lack the silky smoothness of the Honda. The Honda (EX model) had a better sound system.

A Super AWD
By Greg S on 08/28/05 09:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am very happy with the 06 Forester X, 5 speed. It has great acceleration, handling and fuel economy. The visibility is great and it is easy to park. Adjustments for the seat height and steering wheel are great to accommodate smaller drivers. Plenty of room in the trunk for our large dog and the rubber cargo mat is highly recommended. Incredible amount of standard equipment and very good pricing. Nicely improved from '05.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.