Used 2005 Subaru Forester XS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

05 Forester 2.5 XS - great in snow if...
By James

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2005 Forester replaced my old 1991 4WD Mazda MPV. My first winter with the car was a big disappointment as the car didn't handle well in the snow. Hang those wretched Yokohama tires! I replaced them with a set of Michelin HydroRangers, and this car's winter performance is greatly improved! The car has great visibility and entry/exit access for the front seat. Newer models have different option schemes, so I'm a bit in a quandary on selecting a Forester for my wife. I like the power, heated cloth seats. It doesn't look like that's possible on the newer models.

Heated wipers & mirrors, versatility of the Heating & A/C system, visibility front & rear.

Too bad the 6-disc CD/radio unit does not have an input jack for an Ipod. Considering the year the car was made, there wasn't the big craze for the Ipods either.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
By 99excell

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new 22 months ago and have approximately 43,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle, which is more than I can say for the new domestic models I have bought over the last thirty years. I average about 27.5 MPG and my annual maintenance costs run about $300. I service it regularly with Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and have all other maintenance performed by the dealer. I take comfort in the knowledge that it is one of the safest and most reliable vehicles out there and fully expect to replace it, someday, with another one.

Safety and reliability.

Increase warranty mileage.

Want to love it, but can't.
By scoobiephobe

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car, the look, the capabilities. We are very disappointed with the early head gasket leak. This weakness, as I later found out, is a common problem to this engine model. Keep in mind this car only has 9,000 miles on it. The transmission is also a weak spot. It seems to hunt constantly and will hesitate to engage. We will not be keeping this car past warranty. There are websites devoted to the problems we've had, I wished we had done a little more research before we bought. Most reviews for this car were excellent. We have had good dealer treatment so far regarding our concerns. We really like the car, too bad we can't keep it the 10 years we wanted to.

Cold weather package on XS model. All wheel drive. Automatic headlights.

Tinted glass option. Less sensitive key fob. Better drivetrain reliability and function. Better fuel mileage.

The Subaru experience
By Forrester XS 2.5

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was/is the car of my dreams. The price was right, and it drives like my dreams. No trouble in over a year, has all the bells and whistles and they all work with out a problem. I could wish for better in city mileage, but would not give this car up. I would buy it again.

Love the seat warmers, the cruise control, the ease of control, the interior cargo space is great, and the cargo liner is wonderful.

None

Satisfied Multiple Forester Owner
By Norman Griffin

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Subaru Forester is one of the best Vehicles that I have ever owned. We bought our first Forester in Sept 1997 a new 98 model. In October we went to Maine to visit friends, We had a very comfortable trip from PA. It snowed 8" and the Forester was a pleasure to drive in snow. I drive 65 miles each way to work and since 1997 our Forester got me there every day. That Forester now has 195,000 miles on it and when we decided we needed new car for my 130 mile commute there was no thinking about it - off we went to our Subaru dealer and drove home with a new 2.5XS. The original Forester is the L version and now it takes my wife on her daily commute of 5 miles. It feels good in the snow she says.

50:50 AWD always with manual transmission. In snow there is no waiting for the front wheels to slip before the back wheels come into play.

I wish the 2005 Forester had the feature that the 1998 has where you remove the key from the ignition and in overhead interior light comes on and goes out after you shut the door. That is extreamly nice on the cold inclement nights when you need to gather your belongings before you open the door.