2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
05 Forester 2.5 XS - great in snow if...
By James on 02/26/09 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2005 Forester replaced my old 1991 4WD Mazda MPV. My first winter with the car was a big disappointment as the car didn't handle well in the snow. Hang those wretched Yokohama tires! I replaced them with a set of Michelin HydroRangers, and this car's winter performance is greatly improved! The car has great visibility and entry/exit access for the front seat. Newer models have different option schemes, so I'm a bit in a quandary on selecting a Forester for my wife. I like the power, heated cloth seats. It doesn't look like that's possible on the newer models.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
By 99excell on 08/18/06 11:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new 22 months ago and have approximately 43,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle, which is more than I can say for the new domestic models I have bought over the last thirty years. I average about 27.5 MPG and my annual maintenance costs run about $300. I service it regularly with Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and have all other maintenance performed by the dealer. I take comfort in the knowledge that it is one of the safest and most reliable vehicles out there and fully expect to replace it, someday, with another one.

Want to love it, but can't.
By scoobiephobe on 02/03/06 19:32 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car, the look, the capabilities. We are very disappointed with the early head gasket leak. This weakness, as I later found out, is a common problem to this engine model. Keep in mind this car only has 9,000 miles on it. The transmission is also a weak spot. It seems to hunt constantly and will hesitate to engage. We will not be keeping this car past warranty. There are websites devoted to the problems we've had, I wished we had done a little more research before we bought. Most reviews for this car were excellent. We have had good dealer treatment so far regarding our concerns. We really like the car, too bad we can't keep it the 10 years we wanted to.

The Subaru experience
By Forrester XS 2.5 on 03/29/05 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was/is the car of my dreams. The price was right, and it drives like my dreams. No trouble in over a year, has all the bells and whistles and they all work with out a problem. I could wish for better in city mileage, but would not give this car up. I would buy it again.

Satisfied Multiple Forester Owner
By Norman Griffin on 03/19/05 19:20 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Subaru Forester is one of the best Vehicles that I have ever owned. We bought our first Forester in Sept 1997 a new 98 model. In October we went to Maine to visit friends, We had a very comfortable trip from PA. It snowed 8" and the Forester was a pleasure to drive in snow. I drive 65 miles each way to work and since 1997 our Forester got me there every day. That Forester now has 195,000 miles on it and when we decided we needed new car for my 130 mile commute there was no thinking about it - off we went to our Subaru dealer and drove home with a new 2.5XS. The original Forester is the L version and now it takes my wife on her daily commute of 5 miles. It feels good in the snow she says.

2005 Forester Ultimate Crossover
By rbidasio on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subaru Forester was cross-over before cross-over was cool! The '05 Forester XS fits our needs perfectly. A sturdy blend of wagon, car, and SUV makes this offering a super value. Excellent safety and gas mileage also make this an attractive buy. The Forester wipes the competition in handling. It can out-corner and out-slalom anything else in its class. The ride is unbelieveably smooth and quiet. Honda CR/V and Toyota Rav4 were noisey and handled terribly. The Forester won our business due to its low center of gravity and total lack of body roll. Seating position is optimum and the most quality and comfortable seats I have ever felt, and heated too.