2004 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Problems with my 2004 Forester
By Aaron on 10/04/05 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2004 Forester and had to have in the shop 3 times for them to figure out I had a bad fuel injector head. It was fixed and works fine now. This morning I had to take it in again because the car overheats when the A/C is on. I did my research on Subarus and none of the data indicated that I would have the type of problems I'm having. I think I'm going to trade my car in for a Honda. My Subaru has become unreliable for my family.

Love this car!
By happyferret on 09/01/05 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our first Subaru three years ago and loved it. When we needed a second car we knew we didn't need the size of another Outback so we checked out the Forester. It's great to drive and fantastic in the snow. My aunt bought a Forester in 2000 and an additional one a few months ago. Our family is committed to the 'bu.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By M. Park on 08/24/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Family is just two + a dog, but it's got room for more. We traded in 2000 Honda Passport V6, and got Forester 17 months ago, and we still love it. It's a bit boxy, but ride is far more comfortable than Passport, drives better in snow and ice, it takes far less gas and on top of all that it's safer. It does all the things SUV does, only better, and it beats a sedan in luggage and grocery hauling too. It's an excellent vehicle. Practical, practical!

Not as good as they use to be.
By lemonade on 08/04/05 02:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car thinking it would be as reliable and trouble free as my '95 Legacy. I was wrong! Numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks developed in the dash, console, and front passenger door. The auto transmissionwas rough and jerky shifting. The front end would grind and rattle when pulling into a parking space. Two dealers were unable to fix even a single problem. The dealer also always overfilled the engine by half a quart of oil during oil changes. Lousy service, warranty, and car. NEVER WILL BUY ONE AGAIN!

XT--lots of fun and value
By Chuck on 07/29/05 18:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I previously owned an 02 WRX wagon but needed something a little larger and more practical due to a growing family. I still get a silly grin on my face every time I stomp on it. It's not as fast as the WRX or as nimble but much more practical. It has a silky smooth transmission and an interior that is easy on the eyes. There is not as much lag with the turbo compared to the WRX, I went with the automatic; even with the A/C blasting it goes when you you hit it. Handling is average, it's a little wobbly at high speeds but overall handles well when pushed. The 5 star crash test is a nice perk, the safest small SUV on the market gives me piece of mind.

Safe and Fun To Drive
By Asa Packer on 07/15/05 18:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2004 2.5X has been a good, but not great car. Great fun to drive, economical and very safe, but the engine sips coolant and there's a light, intermittent engine knock. Subaru dealers can't or won't diagnose either problem. Time will tell how long our Subaru lasts.

Avoid Sand and Gravel
By Unhappy Customer on 06/06/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Don't drive this car on roads with sand or on gravel roads. The back door running board gets etched from the sprayed sand/gravel. The mud flaps do not help. Less than 20k and I have to repaint. Poor Design. My first and last Subaru. I'll go back to Honda.

Like it more as time goes on
By HJW on 04/18/05 18:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A practical car that made sense to buy, but wait! It's been a blast to drive, even more so on logging roads and when roads get curvy. Not a single problem so far.

Perfect for our Needs
By Mowine4me on 04/03/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a car that could haul stuff for our home improvement projects, got great mileage, was reliable and under $20,000. Final purchase price was $19,800 new, and the car has been everything we wanted. The engine could use a little more power when merging onto a highway, but otherwise we love the car and highly recommend it.

Nice sleeper
By xt-sleeper on 02/25/05 12:32 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Forester XT is an overall very competent good all season car. I have put over 25k on mine in little over a year. Love the power, but brakes and suspension is only adequate for the power the car has. Warped rotors already and no, I don't always get on the throttle. My wife drives most of the time. Poor gas mileage and I have tried to get manufacturer's claim for gas rating. Abrupt tranny shift from 1st and 2nd gears, jerky although not all the time. Overall I love this car.