Used 2003 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Joef's Subaru
By joef

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle has great acceleration, corners well and handles well in snow and ice. The visabilty is fantastic. The interior is well defined. Every control is within reach.

day running lights, CD player and center compartment

forester 2003
By zoie

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fouth Subaru, I like the Forester, it handles well, and overall is a great car. My milage is 26-27 mpg.

First year down, many more to go
By moon43man

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched the mini suv's and bought a 2003 Forester. I was worried about the lack of space, but after a year of use, I no longer have that concern. It really proved itself after hauling my son and all of his stuff 800 miles away to college. With a roof cargo carrier from Sears and the Forester's rear compartment loaded up, I got 28 mpg @ 75 mph. It was a comfortable ride and actually has more leg room than the Safari mini van. The Forester is not as large as my previous vehicles, but then I didn't get 28 mpg with them. I guess there are trade offs with everything, but for a all round, do just about anything vehicle, I am very satisfied with my choice.

Handling, location of all controls, seat comfort, gas mileage

Make the window in the rear hatch open separately from the hatch, Let the rears seat backs recline alittle bit.

Never thought we'd..............
By K&M

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought we'd own a Subaru. In fact, Subaru wasn't even on our radar screen until we checked safety ratings. I went from a Durango to the Forester and I can honestly say that my wife and I love this car, er, SUV, er crossover, er, whatver they want to call it! Anyone looking I'd say go to the Subaru dealer and just buy one! It's a great car year 'round, but especially in rain or in winter. Can fit plenty of things inside. Our Forester just plain works. We're now thinking of eventually replacing my wife's car with a Subaru. We're glad we discovered how good they are.

Availability of a 5spd, ride, reliability, climate control system (like heat fast in the winter and arctic air in the summer), overall soundness of the build, AWD, great MPG, fun to drive.

A little more of a comfy seat would help for long trips, more sound deadening material that works at higher speeds, and a higher end stereo as an option regardless of trim level.

Much better than expected
By gdgg

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Got the 2.5X after looking all small SUV's and test driving the CRV and Escape. The Forester had the best ride/handling/road manners. Downsized from a extended minivan (family of 4) haven't missed it, not even on our long summer trips. Put a Thule box on carry gear for trips and camping. Overall, the car surprizes us with how fun it is to drive and how refined it is for a small car. My wife would rather drive the Forester than her Lexus ES300! Turbo would be great fun, but has even worse fuel economy.

AWD system, power, looks, seating position/comfort (9 in height difference between drivers), performance, standard features, safety features.

Interior trim quality(plastic scratches easily), Interior carpet quality(shows wear with minimal use), fuel economy could be better for a small car.