Used 2006 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Best Kept Secret Out There
By yamura

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 6s in early '07. Probably sat on the dealer's lot a long time because of the manual trans. However, maybe because of that I got a very good deal, too. Aside from a headliner that pulled away from the rear window and breakage of the lumbar support about 400 miles prior to expiration of the warranty, and somewhat early replacement of the battery, the car has been trouble free. It is a hoot to drive, strong runner with a good mid-range, and surprisingly good gas mileage avg about 22 in town and 27 on hwy.

Fun to drive, surprisingly good on gas, reliable. Still on the original tires & brakes @ 52K mi.

(1) The headlight pattern using OEM bulbs no better than Average. (2) 5th gear could use longer legs for more relaxed cruising (3) Turning circle is slightly worse than that of the Queen Mary. (4) The whale-tail spoiler is a little too boy racer-poseurish for my taste.

So far so good
By yamura

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car new, but at a discount probably because it's a stick and had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 6 months. In over 40 years of driving I would rate it as one of my favorite cars, combining fun to drive, decent economy (City avg 22+ mpg, Hwy 26-27 mpg), looks and reliability. The V6 has a distinct midrange, but will pull smoothly from 1500 in top gear. Ergonomically it's superb with controls laid out well and the pedals arranged for easy heel & toeing.

Fun to drive, comfortable, fuel economy good for a car potentially as quick as this is, styling, reliability.

Better headlights, slightly longer legs in 5th, tighter turning circle.

2006 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan
By Colby

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like the car I have only 1,500 miles on it so far it's a nice car and the interior is very neat. Lots of places too put your items. And great gas mileage, although I was surprised that it has such a big gas tank.

gas mileage, look, handle, interior features

real rims, tint on windows from factory, and that's about it

Mazda 6 Transmission Problems
By Dale Smith

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've purchased 4 Mazda's, but never again. I bought my latest, a 6, in Nov 2006. I have a long commute and have put on 63K miles in 3 years. When the car was just about at 30K miles my tranny went out. The dealership replaced it under warranty. About a month ago the tranny started acting up again and to my surprise the dealership told me that it needed to be replaced - Again. This tranny only had about 30K miles on it also. The service manager told me that I wasn't maintaining it correctly or driving it too hard. I informed him that I never had to get the tranny maintained since it never got 30K miles on it and in my 35 years of driving I never had to replace one. Stay away from this car.

I love the drive and comfort.

Really great car!
By mazdaman24

2006 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car a few months ago after my former Mazda Protege was totaled. I bought it because it was a great value, fully loaded V6 for $13k and only 27,000 miles. The interior isn't as rich as the new model but it is certainly respectable and intuitive. There is storage aplenty and it's just the right size. The exterior styling is great, and the ride is firm but not punishing with the 18 inch wheels. The only downside is a slightly notchy transmission at low speeds, but at highway speeds this is the best car i've driven. The Ford-sourced V6 is potent, and I get between 24 and 29 MPG, excellent for a V6.

The seats are the most comfortable i've ever had hands down, no aches after all day drives, the Bose stereo, exterior styling and interior functionality. It's also smaller than other midsize sedans which makes it sportier, and of course the handling.

A little better low speed transmission tuning. Gloss on the interior makes it look less rich, and there are small quality issues such as intermittent rattles.