Used 2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Really great car!
By mazdaman24

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car a few months ago after my former Mazda Protege was totaled. I bought it because it was a great value, fully loaded V6 for $13k and only 27,000 miles. The interior isn't as rich as the new model but it is certainly respectable and intuitive. There is storage aplenty and it's just the right size. The exterior styling is great, and the ride is firm but not punishing with the 18 inch wheels. The only downside is a slightly notchy transmission at low speeds, but at highway speeds this is the best car i've driven. The Ford-sourced V6 is potent, and I get between 24 and 29 MPG, excellent for a V6.

Favorite Features

The seats are the most comfortable i've ever had hands down, no aches after all day drives, the Bose stereo, exterior styling and interior functionality. It's also smaller than other midsize sedans which makes it sportier, and of course the handling.

Suggested Improvements

A little better low speed transmission tuning. Gloss on the interior makes it look less rich, and there are small quality issues such as intermittent rattles.

Great Car
By DeSorbo24

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought the car about three months ago with 55k on it. I drive over 300 mi three times a week on the highway. I opted for the 6 cyl with the 5 spd manual. Best decision ever the car is awesome to drive, great gas mileage out of a 6 cyl. Only thing wrong was a cam shaft bolt that was improperly installed from the manufacturer and Mazda replaced no problem no big deal at all. Car is fast, smooth, handling is crisp and tight just like a sports car. And the exterior with the Mazdaspeed rims couldn't ask for better car

Favorite Features

Xenon lights, Bose audio, 18" wheels, 5spd tranny, and interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

The engine is kind of loud on the interior but nothing major... maybe a few more perks on the interior like one touch moon roof, and get rid of that seat belt reminder

Fun to drive, but not fun to fix
By aperion05

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I got my Mazda 6 brand new a little over 2 years ago. I love this car. It's fast, handles great, comfortable, looks great, and I love the Bose stereo. Mazda has, however, really let me down. This car has been in the shop for warranty repairs six times! I've had problems with the fuel pump, transmission, A/C and even the key fob. I'm so torn. I love the car, and have unfortunately gotten to try others as rentals, but it is a huge hassle to keep getting repairs. When the warranty expires I don't know if I'll be able to afford such big repairs. I've even met other people that had the same car and had the same problems. Overall, don't buy this year, and beware of other years.

Favorite Features

performance, look, stereo

Suggested Improvements

build it so that it doesn't break down constantly!

Horrible Car!
By Horrible Car!

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

First off, I love to drive this car, its a lot of fun. But, I hate to own this car. It is the worst car I have ever owned. It only has 33,000 miles and I've had to have two sensors replaced, a transmission replaced, have the wiring and lightbulb under the cup holder adjusted because the lightbulb burnt a hold in the cup holder. Its just been one thing after another with this car. I was on the fence between an Accord and this car. I wish I would have gone with the Accord, because I would have a reliable car with good resale rather than a car about to fall apart. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again, and I will tell everyone I know to be wary, they are awful!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality! This car is incredibly unreliable, so Mazda should work on that.

Facing Same Problems As Many Others.
By Faultless

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Mazda6s Grand touring in Dec. of 07 used but still under factory 36k bumper to bumper with 33k miles on it. I've now had the car for 5 weeks and it's already back at the dealer with a blown engine. "Low oil conditions." Check your oil check it often these cars use it burn it I don't know they make oil disappear. The dealer tried to tell me the last person to do my oil change was to blame and I quickly responded with "well that would be you."

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, leather, heated seats, six speed "tiptronic transmission", great handling just a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

It does lack a bit on the performance side but what can you expect from a 4500lbs car with a v6 and apparently the car eats engines for breakfast.