1994 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Reliable, but ugly and falling apart
By Lentukwilla on 01/22/07 16:27 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I needed a 'beater' for a year, and it filled that role well. The paint was in terrible shape, with the clearcoat cracking or 'lifting' to give it a very oxidized look. The car never let me down, there were no real problems despite over 160K miles. It did have a lot of small noises, rattles, squeaks, and other annoyances. As soon as I stopped working from home I got rid of it...I couldn't let others ride in this thing!

No more Ford Knockoffs
By PickyFanatic on 11/07/06 21:19 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to replace my beater Integra. I knew that this was a Ford, but I felt good about the Mazda 4 cylinder. The auto transmission had been replaced before I bought it @130K, since then I'm on MY 3rd transmission; NEW, not rebuilt units. I spent over $3K on the 2nd transmission. I only paid $2300 for the car! Also the motor is burning oil, the a/c doesn't work,yellowed headlights. I had numerous electrical problems. It is currently sitting in my driveway for the last 5 months. It will not stay running, so I'm trying to sell it. I'll end up giving it away and I'll NEVER get my money back that I've put into it. It was a waste of money and a waste of my time. I now drive an Accord daily.

Great First Car
By lococrzy on 01/12/06 18:58 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Wow I love my car; it’s my first car. It is great and very reliable. I have never had any serious problems with it. I drive it every where in So Cal. The tranny needs improvement and in my case the green paint job is bad because the clear coat is peeling off of the car, but other that those two thing the car is great. It is the perfect car for a teen in my opinion. It is safe and reliable and maintenance isn't expensive either. My parents bought my car for $1500 with only 114,000 miles on it. This car has been wonderful in comparison to my friend's 1996 Taurus that broke down with severe engine trouble and got fixed and just recently broke down with electrical and tranny problems. I’m glad I have it.

Mazda 626 LX- nice car poor transmission
By GJG on 11/12/04 20:36 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought when it was one year old as a chick car present for my wife in Cameo White with tan cloth interior. She loved it. Always a pleasure to drive, comfortable to drive. The only major maitenance problem was the transmission, replaced 3x under original and extended warranty. Not great on gas and the transmission shifts rough by design. After nine years we just gave it to our daughter and it still looks brand new. I have of course done all the required manitenance like timing belt, water pump ect....

I love my Car
By Royalcrown222 on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost 2 years now, and no real maintainance except brakes,exhaust. Fun to drive, really good reliability never lets me down starts perfectly at -30C. Auto trans leaves some of the power untouched wish i had the manual. Lots of space and extremely comfy.

Still "zoom-zoom"in'
By sega626 on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in '97, and have been in love with it since. Have not had many maintenance issues with it, mostly the usual, except dist and starter. Over 133K miles and still runs strong, and still gets 30 mpg avg.

We Miss Our Mazda
By kalu1 on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Very Dependable. Was totaled at 120,000. Car was hit at 45mph on drivers door. Walked away no injuries. Repairs to cv joints, axel and other minor areas during 5 year ownership.

Very Reliable
By mikez1971 on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with just under 60,000 miles. It now has over 170,000 miles and is running great. Gas mileage is still at 25-27 mpg on regular gas. Only had to repair normal wear item (brakes, tires, struts, etc.) It has never left me stranded anywhere, at anytime. I love the car and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable, inexpensive car.

94 Mazda 626 is unreliable
By dsimmons on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

If you want a car you are constantly repairing then this is the car for you. Th e biggest problem is the transmission that is computure controlled and can have mechanical or electrical problems. Avoid at all costs. I don't believe that Edmunds would allow this to rated at 8.7 on this site. It should be a 3 at the highest.

Good Car
By metsdada on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Had it 2 years now. Motor mount replaced. Noisy tires.... was not rotating... now OK. Love the car. Dependable. Auto trans does not give lots of power on downshifting - actually sluggish. But, that is the only item I can complain about.