Used 2007 Lexus GX 470 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2007 Lexus GX 470

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Solid, powerful and reliable
By active_dad

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We owned a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 6 years before this, which was a solid and powerful SUV, but this GX is several rungs up the quality ladder. Ample, smooth power, VERY comfortable and quiet even at freeway speeds. Rock solid in the snow and rain and very reliable. 3rd row seats are handy, and easy to fold up or down. Anyone who says it's difficult is mechanically inept. Literally takes < 1 min. Not the best mileage at 14-15 mi. combined avg per gallon, but it is a fairly large SUV with a V8, so actually not too bad. Handles great for its size, and the driving modes and right height adjustments really help for specific driving and road types.

Favorite Features

Smooth & powerful V8, comfortable interior, reliable, extremely quiet, can go anywhere and over anything, and can also tow very well. Controls are simple and intuitive. Heated seats, 2nd row A/C, and reclining 2nd row seats are cool. If you're looking for an all-weather road trip vehicle that can tow and hold its own off-road, I can't imagine a much better SUV than this for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure why our 2007 has a cassette player? Navigation is a pain, but smart phones are better anyway. Bring back this body style, the new Lexus SUVs are UGLY!

Beast
By link1235

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This thing is a beast when comes to snow. The miltary should pick this vehicle up. When it snows I feel like I can go any where. I wish it was a little bigger, of course i have the same complaint on most foreign automobiles. Third row seating is poor but it is a easy fix to take them out. i havent figured out this cassette thing is on the sound system. feel like I can go

Favorite Features

Off road and snow capabilitys.

Look back
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I previously wrote of my frustrations with this SUV re: its quirks and lack of modern features. However, I live in the Midwest and we were hit with a torrential winter in 2010. I had no idea how awesomely this vehicle would perform in the snow and ice. It's unshakable. I felt very confident driving in ice and snow that left other trucks and SUVs in the snow bank. Unbelievably good traction.

Favorite Features

Unstoppable in inclement weather. Yes, drive carefully but this vehicle can take whatever outside weather aversion you throw at it.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to pick only one, I would allow use of the navigation/radio/information system while driving. It's asinine that you can use only selected features and it prevents display of track and artist names.

Very Versatile SUV
By L J

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in an RX for an SUV with more room, comfort and performance. So far, this truck has not disappointed. Great looking without being flashy, lots of room for large items, very comfortable on long trips and can get up and go if you hit the gas on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Stylish (not flashy), comfortable and very dependable. Very safe during inclement weather or tough terrain. SUV is at home parked in front of The Four Seasons or at a off road camping area.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is very frustrating. Truck must be at a complete standstill to change settings. Better gas mileage would also be nice.

If I knew then & Look Before You Leap
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Service, build quality, and drive could not be more impressive but this is the first car I have not connected with. It just seems to have no soul if you know what I mean. It's personality is vanilla - unless u frequently drive off road. I loathe the navigation system. You can't do anything with it while u drive (including read song and artist names of music u are playing). No rear heat controls nor rear heated seats. 3rd row is a joke. My 5'1" wife cannot put the rear seats up or down... Terribly difficult. Not enough cabin storage for this size vehicle. Spend time with this car before you own it. This is a real SUV - Not a fun car to own just to carpool around town in.

Favorite Features

Super quiet and smooth ride. Go anywhere vehicle. Really, I think you could just go up any mountain or snow bank without thinking twice. Wicked abilities. Of course, the carpet and leather are white so just don't get out in the dirt b/c it does stain.

Suggested Improvements

Start over with navigation. I really, really hate it. Assume people aren't morons and can read or push buttons and drive. Rear seat heaters and heat controls for climate. Blow up the third row and go for a fold flat style. The jump seats never got easy like I expected. Every time I curse them.