2013 Fusion 1.6L Ecoboost MPG
By ozarkfusion on
2013 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I just purchased a 2013 fusion 1.6L ecoboost that is rated at 36mpg on hwy. At best I can get 32. Took a trip to SC and back to MO and averaged 32. I've had 5 new vehicles (none of them ford) in the past 10 years and all of them got what they said they would. How are others out there doing with their MPG-specifically the 1.6L ecoboost engine?
Favorite Features
Great looking although Kia also looks good. Tires are round. Quiet interior.
Suggested Improvements
Ignition key in bad place. knee will no doubt break it off if hitting a bump. Bottle holders in door panels are problem. take them out. they get in the way of other stuff you put in there. Drive train a little loud but probably on par for vehicle of this size. Going to have an issue with Ford over MPG. First new ford I've owned. Also last.
By jdw4
on 01/24/13 07:40 AM (PST)

I am in the same boat with you. I purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion with the 1.6L Ecoboost Automatic and have never seen more that 30MPG going down hill. I have tried setting the cruise control on several different speeds. I would think with a 36MPG highway rating I could achieve your 32MPG rating on a daily basis with out trying. I am very disappointed with the rating and wonder how Ford comes up with the figures. To make matters worse, when the car was returned to the dealer to get the program change for the fire issue, I was given a Chevy Impala with . 3.6 L V^ that achieved 32MPG with no problems. Is anyone else having the same issue???

By jdw4
on 01/24/13 07:47 AM (PST)

One more thing...I was told the engine had a break-in period by the dealer. How long did you have to drive your Fusion (ozarkfusion) before you achieved the 32MPG. I now have 3500 miles on the car and still not seeing the mileage expected and advertised.

By sentinelone
on 03/17/13 00:28 AM (PDT)

As a rule I find that "real world" MPG is usually around 4-6+ MPG less than what the given EPA estimates are for most vehicles, even when driven non-enthusiastically. Your Fusion 1.6 auto is EPA rated at "23 City, 36 Highway, and 28 Average". You say you are getting an average of 32 MPG in mixed but mostly highway driving, so that sounds about what a person will get with this vehicle out here in the "real world", not in some artificially perfected manufacturer?s or government testing environment; see what I mean? So now that you know the truth about what EPA estimates really are, I hope you realize that this is not necessarily a "Ford" issue, and it applies across the board due to the misunderstanding of what those EPA figures actually represent, which is based on quite a bit of fantasy, make-believe, and over-optimistically wishful thinking.

By zap5250
on 04/03/13 16:17 PM (PDT)

I was back and fourth between 2013 Fusion (1.6L Turbo) and 2013 Malibu (2.5L). I was in it for the mpg and vehicle price. I end up with the Malibu LT as the price was almost $3500 less than Fusion although I really liked the Fusion. My Malibu is rated 22/34 and I have gotten 37 highway (at 70 mph) and even 33 on the highway with high wind blowing right at me. It seems slightly better than rating with just 3K miles. It would bother me, at $4 gal. in Chicago, to not get what it is rated.

By u0061914
on 02/01/13 11:02 AM (PST)

I have a 2013 Fusion which I purchased in November. I have 5500 or so miles on the car now and the best I get is about 26mpg. While driving to work, which is 80% highway driving, I am getting about 24. That is a far cry from 36. Yes, it is winter in MN and given the blended fuels and cold temps, I would expect a decrease of a couple of MPGs, but this is absolutely not acceptible. I have been to the dealer once with no luck. They told me " it will need a couple of thousand to break in" Well now at 5500, absolutely no improvement. I'm going to ask the dealer to bring in a regional engineer.

By cruzefan1
on 02/05/13 13:00 PM (PST)

If you're getting 32 MPG and it's rated at 36 MPG that's probably about right if you're going on an interstate at 70 MPH. You have to remember the 36 MPG highway rating is if you're going 55 MPH

By donalp
on 07/11/13 11:40 AM (PDT)

I have no idea what some climates some people on here must live in, I live in missouri and I just bought the 1.6l Ecoboost. Only have 1500 miles and after about the first day of owning I started getting really good mileage. I was on a flat highway yesterday going 60 with cruise control on getting above the posted mpg for the car. I was averaging 39.9 from what the computer said on the car. That has been the best. On a average day I get 34-36 on Hwy with cruise control. about 32 without cruise control on. And I get about 21-22 in town.