Used 2004 Audi A8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

L quattro 4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic - (91 reviews )

Heartache/headache
By heyjude5

2004 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car is so comfortable we call it the sofa. It has,however, been a maintenance nightmare. It is constantly in the shop and dealers in northern California uniformly provide lousy but expensive service. When the heater failed while in Minnesota on a winter trip, the dealer groaned when he saw it was a 2004. Nothing but headaches, he told me. Tons of electrical problems to start with, then the list gets mechanical.

A lot of car for the money, great value
By monzavifar

2004 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

About 3 months ago I bought a 2004 A8L with 70K miles (black on beige) for $16K. I gave my BMW 530i in trade. At the beginning I missed the sportiness of the Bimmer but after a while I got used to it. Considering the fact that the car is a lot bigger and heavier than the Bimmer it is understandable that it doesn’t sprint. My A8L has lots of gadgets that my Bimmer did not have. A few days ago I put 19 inch OEM wheels + new summer tires on it, man, it rocks now. I used to be a Bimmer fanatic and was looking for a 750Li for a while but after driving this car I am reconsidering. So far knock on wood have not had any mechanical issues with it. It is a lot of car for the money and very much fun to

Favorite Features

Luxury, comfort, Bose Stereo System. Air suspensions, all wheel drive, The Look!!

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth and advanced phone system. Better fuel economy. Not many indip. mechanics around to work on it, since the dealer service is very very expensive.

Expensive Unreliability
By Lynne LeGallais

2004 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We expected Audi quality and attn to customer service when we purchased this vehicle. Our experience has been terrible. Mechanical car repairs since 80,000KM have exceeded $7,500. Examples of necessary repairs are, replacing starter cost $992.16, dysfunctional remote which has had batteries replaced 5 times. Four upper control link bushings cost $1130.53, breather valve atop manifold cost $240.81. Decarbonization of air intake system cost $216.57. And the car stopped functioning on HWY 81 last night requiring towing, stranding us in Wilkes Barre, Penn and now requiring replacement of the mass air flow sensor cost unknown. It apparently was also misfiring on some cylinders.

Favorite Features

Room in back seat for passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Expensive repairs for this supposed quality of car should not be necessary. Our letter to Audi did not even receive the courtesy of a reply!!!!!

Love Hate Relationship
By PFraser

2004 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Most of the reliability issues owners have experienced are electronic problems. Interestingly, I have had major mechanical issues - transmission, suspension, cooling system and more. All these problems started right around 51K miles, just out of warranty! So far I have spent over $6,000 in repairs. About $4,500 of that is parts, because you won't find aftermarket parts for this car. If you are reading this review you are probably considering purchasing a used 2004. My best advice would be to get the best extended warranty you can. Get a warranty that has "stated exclusions" only, so you know exactly what will not be covered. With all that said, I really do love driving the car!

Favorite Features

Top notch interior finishes, comfort, style, luxury features, all wheel drive. I really love this car when it's not in the shop!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, which I've read is greatly improved in recent years.

Great car but...
By King Daddi

2004 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I traded a 2001 BMW 740iL for the A8L. The car seems great but less than 3 weeks after I bought it, it was in the shop for a system failure and the entire dashboard display has to be replaced plus several other items. Check the service history. I was told by the tech that the '04s are "just temperamental". If you can, hold out for a 2006/07 Get a CPO and still under Audi warranty or you will be in big trouble. Gas mileage seem very poor.

Favorite Features

Sleek design, smooth quiet ride, double pane glass reduces noise, sport mode and AWD. Bose system is a symphany in your car. The subwoofer is very deep and rich sounding.

Suggested Improvements

MMI for radio is terrible, nav maps, electrical issues, gas cap holder & plastic door. Rear headrest should drop down and many of the features on my old 740iL do not show up on the A8 until 06/07. Blue tooth/iPod would have been nice. More steering wheel controls.