2014 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Last Honda I will ever buy
By Sung Lee on 03/28/15 20:47 PM (PDT)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Stay away from this year's MDX From 00 Civic si, S2000, TSX, Prelude, and finally this MDX. One of the worst reliability that I have ever faced for a new car. Okay so my car has about 56k miles and now warranty is over. During its journey,it had couple of problems:Seesaw noise on engine bay, Squeeky steering wheel, two recalls (seatbelt and driveshaft), rear seatbelt rattle and now lane departure warning, front collision warning and transmission warning.... I knew that the old Honda/Acura had crappy transmission but didn't know it carried onto new models. Usually first year model is buggy but I think this has to be most annoying new car that I have ever bought (I owned about 15 cars so far)

Really wanted it to be good. But it's not
By Ted Leo on 03/25/15 03:27 AM (PDT)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Got the 2014 version brand new after being a previous Acura owner. Actual engine and driving part is excellent. Powerful engine and good handling but it is loud and the rest is lacking. Computer service lights never stop. The only time I ever actually enjoy the console is the week after I take it for service and get hit for $300 bucks. The other 90% of the time the tire pressure and service lights are constantly on. It reminds me of my printer that never works because it's constantly trying to make you buy new toner instead of just working. Last week and the service tech implied the reason for all the service needed is because the car is almost 2 yrs old. C'mon, it barely has 1200 miles.

TOO MANY DEFECTS IN 1ST YEAR
By rmc71 on 01/21/15 02:13 AM (PST)

2014 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

14k miles on AWD Tech pkg. Have had in shop a total of 26 days. Brake warning comes on with no traffic in front (Acura says to just turn it off !!). Has occurred when at stoplight, door chime doesn't work, steering column had to be replaced. Now waiting for new electrical module to see if it will solve issues. Navigation system not user friendly when trying to set up. Way too many defects for a $50k car. This car has fallen into lemon territory and will be hard-pressed to get another one.

2014 Acura MDX
By skypilotair21 on 01/15/15 10:11 AM (PST)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicleis very nice and sharp, although you would think that Acura could have install fog lights as a standard equipment. The vehicle has everything you need and it's very comptible.

Don't Buy until driver's Window Noise Fixed
By djr0302 on 01/05/15 10:58 AM (PST)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After a few months an irritating wind noise developed in the driver's window, right next to my ear. Gets loud at >50mph. I took it in, dealer says it is a known problem for which Acura hasn't put a fix out for. They didn't want to try putting in rubber tape, etc and start messing with the window fit perhaps making things worse. Recommended I wait and see if Acura puts out a fix. Are you kidding me.. $55K for a loud noise in your ear. Not a sign of quality to compete with rivals. Stay away.

Not a luxury SUV anymore!
By suitespot on 12/15/14 13:03 PM (PST)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Leased my third MDX in late March. Fit/finish not like it was when Canadian made. LED screen control of HVAC began to flicker off/on, phonebook would not load, rattle at left rear wheel. But, real issue was vibration and noise caused by Cylinder Management System. Dealer tried to resolve without success. Called Acura Tech only to be told that they could not help with any of the issues. In the meantime the engine vibration and noise worsened. So emailed Acura. After unpleasant exchange of emails got a call with promise to call back but would make "no promises" re: resolving my concerns. No call back in a week. Obviously Acura did not want me as a customer. Bought a new Lexus RX.

Excellent SUV
By liaisonnco on 11/15/14 11:47 AM (PST)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2014 Acura MDX for over 4 months and have not experienced any of the issues (i.e. Cylinder Management System (VCM noise) mentioned in previous reviews. I truly enjoy driving this vehicle. It's a comfortable, quite riding and maneuverable vehicle. I believe the price matches the quality of this vehicle. Hopefully the quality and reliability will match my expectations in the future, but for now I'm fully satisfied with this MDX.

Love my MDX but would hesitate to buy again
By johnra on 08/23/14 09:24 AM (PDT)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great family car with plenty of room, power, fuel efficiency, safety features, and style. For these reasons I am very happy with my purchase. However, there are enough quirks that I would hesitate to buy an MDX again. There is an odd noise the car makes when shifting from 3 to 6 cylinders; the lumbar adjustments on the front driver seat are too limited; sound quality from the radio is pathetic; and I have heard awful things about the in car nav (thankfully I did not waste my money on this). All cars have quirks but these are too many for a car in this price range. I get the sense Acura rushed this out the door - a lesson learned for me in buying the first year of a new model.

no spare tire!
By johnkim575 on 07/12/14 04:26 AM (PDT)

2014 Acura MDX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Be warned that there is no spare tire on some models. I found out the hard way that Acura has put in a tire inflator/gel rather than a spare tire. What should have been a 15 minute tire change turned out into a 5 hours ordeal where Acura wanted me to have the car towed to a dealership because the puncture on my tire was larger than "nail" size. What would have happened if I was on a road trip with no acura dealership near by because Acura road side service will only tow to an Acura dealership? If you don't tow to a dealership YOU pay to have it towed. A car that nearly costs 50K should have a spare tire/donut.

Beware of noise (VCM or modulator?)
By lbjr51 on 07/02/14 20:44 PM (PDT)

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is comfortable to drive other than the fact that one must put up with an irritating noise that Acura refuses to fix (5 in all categories otherwise). Some have described the noise as being similar to "a cell phone in vibrate mode going off on a hard surface." My understanding is the noise is identified as being from the Variable Cylinder Management System (VCM) switching from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders. Unfortunately, the noise gets louder over time. Acura contends it is the all wheel drive unit modulator activating. It apparently is also noted on other Honda models like the RDX, Pilot and Odyssey. At the minimum, Acura's dealers should be required to disclose this issue.

1 2 3 4 5 next »