Used 2010 Volvo XC60 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

Great car...at first....
By Claire

2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

First, the good: This car was great at first. I got it in 2010, and I got an awesome deal on it. It was so safe, great ride...kinda heavy like a truck, but I didn't mind. It's GREAT in the snow, I drove in horrible conditions when literally no one else was on the road because it was so awful out there, and I was 100% fine (granted I grew up driving in blizzards, so I know what I'm doing). I've never felt safer in any other car. The acceleration is good, the stereo is wonderful and has lots of ways to adjust it. If you are a bass person....the bass is very very good.
Now, the bad: I swear Volvo programs/designs these cars to be fantastic until the warranty is over. I started having so many problems when mine was done. The batteries kept dying, I had to get three new batteries in three years, two in an 8 month period. The electronics started acting weird, and there was a mysterious leak in the windshield that I couldn't find, and the dealerships claimed they couldn't find it either, even tho every time it rained I had water dripping down my windshield. Notice that dealerships was plural? Yeah...I went to a ton of different Volvo dealerships for maintenance due to moving around a lot....and I had problems at ALL of them. Constantly trying to rip me off, charge me for unnecessary things...they even went as far as telling me that I needed a new timing belt....when the car has a timing chain. There is no timing belt.
Another thing that made me think that the car was programmed to break after the warranty was over was that every time the "regular maintenance" notification showed up, I noticed that if I didn't take it into the dealership fast enough, things would mysteriously start breaking. Electronics, etc. That notification is on a timer per certain amount of miles driven. It will show up no matter whats going on with the car. It made no sense, and it never happened until the warranty was over. And I've heard the same complaint from multiple other Volvo owners.
And the gas milage is terrible. I get 17 miles per gallon. Ugh. I've heard they have improved that on the new ones tho.
I now have about $8,000 worth of things to fix on the damn thing, including the rear differential, and so needless to say I'm looking for a new car. I will miss the Volvo...she's been thru a lot with me. But I can't swing how expensive her repairs have been, regardless of how safe she is and how well she drives in the snow. Volvo will try to rip you off.

Disappointed owner
By L. Norris

2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2010 Volvo XC60 and was looking forward to many years with this car. I took it for regular maintenance at a Volvo dealer and took very good care of it. it was fine while under warranty for 4 years/ 50, 000. The past year I have have had to spend over $6000 for repairs - rear differential broke, drive belt, power steering broke, brakes, electrics - it is as if the Volvo engineers designed it so that every major system would break as soon as the car was out of warranty. I am disgusted! It only has 60,000 miles on it and has been lovingly cared for and it has turned into an unreliable lemon! I will never buy a Volvo again. I do not recommend this car, unless you have a lot of spare time and money to waste.

Don't buy this Chinese-Owned Vehicle.
By Kris

2010 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm writing this to encourage you to find other options than Volvo. [non-permissible content removed] I feel it necessary to write a review that people will read-in the 2015 section. I owned a 2010 T6 AWD AND paid for the Polestar Upgrade (+30 HP). Fact is, I really liked the seats in the car and driving it was fun, except when it broke! At 55K miles, I paid for a new wheel hub ($650), at 60K miles, a rear stab link broke off ($450), then the doozie-at 65K miles the Rear Differential AND Active On Demand Coupler went bad (over $6500) ! NO THANK YOU!!! I promptly traded my vehicle in for an American Made Chevrolet Traverse and never looked back! Volvo claims to be a Premium Brand-Not Yet, My Friends, Not Yet ! Honestly, you will LOVE this vehicle until it's time to get it fixed.

What I lose:
Comfy Seats, Acceleration, Smaller Car Handling, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Indicators
What I gain:
Keep more of my $$$, On Star is way underrated for safety/security, Way more Cargo/Passenger Space, American Pride, More USB Ports, Better Chevy Customer Service
What is Similar:
Exact Same Safety Ratings

2010 at 80K
By cannice

2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Within 2 months, I've had significant repairs that should not happen for my vehicle.1.Both front axles were replaced. 2.A month later, determined that my windshield adhesive deteriorated causing a leak. This leak wreaked havoc to my airbag/sunroof sensors, sunroof motor and required full floor interior replacement. I've incurred significant costs due to issues that should not have happened. Extended warranty does not cover glass issues. I expected higher quality from Volvo..very disappointed.

Maintenance can be expensive
By jbatl56

2010 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2010 XC60 has been a good vehicle since I bought it used 2 yrs ago. It is very comfortable and with the T6 it's quick off the line. But now at 73,000 miles I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the beginning of the end. Brake vacuum pump needs replacing ($700), sunroof leaks during a hard rain ($500), tires cup regardless of brand apparently, leather is wearing worse than my mom's 1989 Cadillac, the lift gate pistons needed replacement (caught under warranty), brakes wear quickly ($400) and I need a new motor mount ($500). I think that's a bit much for a Volvo with what many consider low mileage. But then again, it's really not Swedish anymore, is it?

Very comfortable seats and ride.

more interior ambient lighting especially door handles and center console.