Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

No trouble
By KREIN

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

on the fly 4 x 4, nice ride. reliable as hell.

i would like this truck with the old r22 motor. not available with 4 cyl. bring back the R22. best engine ever made.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Good looks. Reliability. Off-road package and rear-diff locks. Off-road capability. The tire size compared to the body size give it a nice aggressive stance

It's a moot point now since 04 was the last of the truly compact Toyotas and the Taco has been changed, but the seat comfort would be the biggest gripe.

Perfect size for me
By Ron Shaw

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used in 06. I wanted this smaller size, not the larger size the Tacoma has become. Mine is a fairly basic truck, standard cab with air and stereo. Nothing else. It has turned out to be just what I expected. A simple truck that is very capable, with the Toyota reliability I have come to expect. I have loaded it down with 1500 pounds of bamboo flooring, and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual was not taxed at all. This truck gives you the feeling that it will do whatever you ask it to do.

Good basic utility vehicle.

Better seats. My lower back starts to complain a bit after about half an hour. Not severe, but could be improved.

Very well built truck!
By martinjmpr

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Manually shifted transfer case (hard to find nowadays!). Good stereo with both CD and cassette (I still have a lot of tapes!). AC works fantastically well in hot weather. Overall quality is excellent. Hey, it's a Toyota! 'Nuff Said!

What is the deal with the clock? It's hidden behind the steering wheel! Back seats should be facing inward, you can't put anyone over the age of 8 in the back of the x-cab! The 2/3 - 1/3 front "bench" seats are a joke and make it difficult to put seatcovers on. Should stick with buckets.

Incredible
By Gregg

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this truck for just over 2 years now and have loved every minute. The Tacoma is an all around fun truck to drive. I've been on sand at lake powell, mountains all over, mud and snow, and the thing just keeps going. I love how this truck performs. It has never disappointed me.

I love the size; I'm able to get into other places full size trucks can't. Locking diff., great stereo, wonderful looks. I get compliments all the time.

Move the clock so someone can actually see it! Electric rear slider. Seats could be a little more comfy. Needs more power when towing. Of course, it's just a V6.