Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best truck...EVER!Bou
By sierratoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

Off road capability, cruise at highway speed, reliability, durability.

5 speed auto tranny.

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

I like the xtra cab area for a trunk and the truck is fun for off road. The 4wd is great in the snow and the truck itself is very reliable. I also like all the interior features. I feel like I am in a car driving it.

Somehow make this truck better on gas. It is so poor that I may have to sell it. The ride could be a little smoother. Besides that, this is a very good truck and very reliable. I wish it was a 6.

Love This Truck!
By J Love

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

It's just a comfortable truck to drive. It's not too big, but I sit higher than the cars around me.

Better gas mileage and suicide doors for the Xtra cab (like the Tundra of that vintage) would have been really nice.

Owner/operator
By l1nda

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

the interior wore well

Toyota needs to listen to their consumers stand behind their vehicles and

Love it
By Tank

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Tacoma, i think I have talked about 3 people into buying my truck. The thing is built well, barely have to do any maintenance on it. I got my truck with 23 miles on it, now it has about 117,000 miles. My baby has not let me down yet, it drives well in the snow, rain and basically loves going off roading from time to time. I would suggest my Tacoma to anyone.

TRD package, 4 wheel drive, full spare, solid build, great engine, low maintenance, easy to use and has plenty of options.

more comfortable seats, should come with a trailer attachment in all models, better interior lighting.