Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

My Toyota experience
By luan nuriu

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my big SUV for a little over 3 years. I only have positive things to say about it. My job as a dealership service manager (with Mercedes-Benz) I have the opportunity to drive the ML on a daily basis and see the repair frequency of Mercedes- Benz & other makes and models as the dealership takes trades in all the time. I can tell you that Toyota's quality is 2nd to none! My Toyota SUV is a joy to own and drive, I recommend it to any one in need of a full size SUV.

My favorite features are the great ride and the DVD player (it keeps the kids quite)

I would suggest the front of the vehicle is due for a face lift, I am happy with everything else. (someday I hope to see a hybrid engine available in all models at a reasonable price)

Good Quality Truck, so so Mileage
By AD

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased in 5/02. Build quality has been superb. In three years here is what has been replaced (except for maintenance items): Oil Pressure Gauge, Security Transmitters, and Brake Rotors--all by Warranty. Front Ball joints replaced under recall. Truck has been very solid. Good travel truck for a family. Interior has a tendancy to scratch and show scuffs. MPG is not as good as I like (~ 15) but considering the size and weight it is inline. Original tires were poor (Dunlop) replaced with Michelin cross terrain and are much improved! Blind spot is quite large and recommend small mirror additions to address. Would purchase again if gas prices had not jumped so much. Great vehicle!

Good front vision/elevation, smooth motor and tranny, and roomy.

Soften the ride, improve MPG, add blind spot mirrors as standard. Also, adjust trim work in cabin to show LESS scuffs and scratches.

disappointment
By txag

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

While I love the size and comfort compared to other SUVs, I have had a number of non-drive train problems, none of which the dealership would fix under warranty, despite the truck being less than 3 years old. Antenna no longer retracts, several pieces of interior molding have had to be replaced, including the driver's side door handle, motor on liftgate window burnt up after only a couple of years, and the air conditioner is a piece of junk. Not only does the AC control decide whether you're getting hot or cold air depending on the temperature you choose (and it varies with outside temp), but the strength of the air output changes if you change the temperature, or if you accelerate.

comfortable ride for an SUV. nice size so easier to park than other full size SUVs. ALl the ceiling storage compartments

use a basic but efficient AC system. Improve electronics. Fold-flat 3rd row seat instead of removable.

Get One...
By Nopars

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

If you want a big SUV - this is it. Looked at all the others (any you know who they are)- none compared to this car. Excellent quality thoughout with better passenger room than any of the domestics. I don't know about towing as we only towed trailor with AUV or lawnmower. You won't be disappointed. We would buy it again!!

Style, rear seat leg room, ride (much more comfortable than other SUVs), low maintaince, resell value

every vehicle could get better gas mileage - this one averages 15mpg of regular.

Love it!
By molly phy

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle. Has never been in the shop for any reason. We drive on several vacations/year and always have plenty of room for our two kids and suitcases. Very reliable and much better gas mileage than the Expedition I used to own.

Very roomy. Drives like a car.

Hard to see behind you when backing up. Only complaint I have.