Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Time to get rid of this thing
By Sludge

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 01 Highlander for about 2 years. Overall it is an ok SUV, although my wife loves it. We bought it used with 45000 miles and it now has 113000 miles. We have had to replace the tires, brakes, and oxygen sensor ($200!). The heater broke and was stuck on hot for several months, the dealer told us it would cost about $1000 to replace the heater panel. After a long search I found where many others have had the same problem and fixed it. Turns out to be broken solder connections, I resoldered them and it now works for FREE! The rear axle is leaking fluid and was told by the dealer it was the axle seals...$350. Time to get rid of this thing!

Heated mirrors

they redesigned it for 2008...too late for any suggestions

BEST CAR EVER!!
By DD

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car two weeks ago and i just love it. I'm 18 years old and I've wanted this car since I was about 12 when it came out. I love it. I take the car out every chance that I have. I bought it because I need to haul my things to and from school so it made sense to buy something that could hold all my stuff. I have the leather package because the light colored cloth seats are unbearable to dirt. I can agree with some of the other reviews that say the wind noise is unbearable, but I still love my Highlander, and the cup holders are in a weird place. The MPG reader doesn't seem to change from 16.5 miles per gallon. Maybe I need to reset it.

Leather seats, digital climate control, indicator that your parking brake is still up when in drive, the rear seat leg room and the trunk space.

Wind noise and, change where the cup holders are placed.

2001 Toyota Highlander
By Don

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After all the bad experiences with a Chevy, an Olds, and 2 Fords, I risked buying this the first year they were offered. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Drives well, good with my bad back, and reliable. No repairs, only scheduled maintenance. Drawbacks: burns lots of oil (2 qts on a 250 mile hwy trip), and the front seat support broke on one side. (I skipped the $800 to replace it by putting a box of paper underneath to prop it up.)

My first SUV - like being able to put things in and out without bending. Like the layout of instrumentation, dials, switches. Amazing bonus: an angled support for your LEFT foot.

Make rear wiper replacement user - friendly. Aerodynamics of having rear windows open is scary: sounds like helicopter landing on top.

Love this Car!
By Christy

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used and honestly have had no problems with it. It now has 130,000 miles on it and all we have had to do is the standard maintenance. I love the roominess (I have two small children and lots of stuff to haul!) and the way it rides is outstanding. The turning radius is spectacular for an SUV, even better than my hubby's sedan. I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible.

Smoothness of ride. Reliability. Turning radius. Cargo room.

None that I can think of!

A Great SUV
By JG

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Highlander the first year it was made and from my experience this is the best SUV ever built. The Highlander is designed to be a very comfortable ride as well as a great hauling vehicle. Very reliable car. I have had no problems. Excellent fit and finish. I was rear-ended by someone 2 months after purchase and hardly felt the impact - no injuries. If you are looking for a safe and fun SUV to drive for your family, the Highlander is it. I love this car.

Lots of power, smooth transmission, agility, turning radius, comfortable ride. Spacious interior with plenty of elbow room. The back is designed to easily hold IKEA's large furniture boxes and move your college kids into residence halls.

The Highlander is perfect the way it is. However, I don't know how the new 2008 models will be. I'm disappointed they are changing the design. I hope they don't ruin a great SUV.