Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 311 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great first car! 2002 Nissan Maxima
By Breana Marciel

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Cars have been around for over a hundred years and there are so many models and brands to choose from. A great first car and one that will never let you down, I recommend the 2002 Nissan Maxima, if you are looking for good gas mileage, comfortability, reliability, and a exceptional performance. Nissan focuses on “enriching people’s lives” being environmental, safe, reliable, performance, and life on board. The company’s life term goal is to reduce Co2 which is what I like! When I earned my driver’s license when I was seventeen, I was surprised with a 2002 Nissan Maxima on my driveway from my parents. They told me they have heard positive feedback from other owners with the same car and came to a decision to buy one for me. I have been loving this car ever since. The Maxima was given to me from another couple here in Colorado, they have taken phenomenal care of it and now it is in the hands of me. As far as gas mileage goes in this car, they recommended to me to use the highest-octane gas while fueling my car. It may be more expensive than regular, but you can feel the difference while driving instead of hearing the valve rattle. Also, a plus is that you do not have to take continuous trips to the gas station a full tank for me lasts a little less than 2 weeks commuting to school and work, with a tank capacity of 18.5 gallons. Everyone can agree when buying a car, if it is just for you or your whole family, you want to make sure it is a comfortable car since you may commute to work, school, activities, or traveling. With the 2002 Nissan Maxima what I like is, it provides a back seat big enough for adults, deep cushions, electronic adjustable seats, all seats accommodate most body types well, cargo net for storage on the sides of the doors, A/C as cold as ice when you start the car, cruise control great for traveling, power steering, front reading lights, and very spacious throughout the car. It does only provide a CD player and a tape player which is a little of a downfall for me because I like to listen to music on my phone I worked around that and got a tape with an aux cord which worked out well! but I also wished to have heated seats since I’m always cold and is always great for mornings and nights. These comfort features are very helpful and convenient for me I really liked having all these features since I do a lot of driving to the mountains, to work, and to school. When it comes to looking for a reliable car, you want what is best. That’s what my parents made sure of doing, so they know I am safe and in a reliable car. The Maxima was built with a large windshield and a wide rear window for great visibility all the way around which lowers the chance of getting in an accident. It is very helpful and convenient that this car has large gauges so they are easy to read for me and even for elders. With the finest illumination at night as well. Most newer cars now, have so many buttons and switches they had to include making it hard to see and most people including me wouldn’t know half the buttons or what to press. I also haven’t had any problems with my car since I got it in 2015, I just maintain regular maintenance to the vehicle such as oil changes, transmission tests, car washes, checking brakes, etc. It is also great knowing and sharing with others that this car has been seen in every type of weather and never left me stranded. When buying a car one always looks for performance which does not disappoint in this car. What I liked while driving around in my car was quick acceleration, great brakes not too little tension or not too much, and phenomenal handling. With a great performance in a car I am able to rely on it to my daily commute to work and school. What I found out when I first drove the car that I didn’t like too much was the turning radius is annoyingly broad which results in making tight parking situations a bit challenging, I would do a lot of three point turns. That was just the only disadvantage of the car. But, if I want to update my car’s performance, it is easy to find the parts and not as expensive as if you want car parts for a newer car. Overall I love this car and I am glad they chose this Nissan Maxima as a first car. I would recommend this car to anyone. The 2002 Nissan Maxima is great on gas mileage being a little bit more expensive didn’t set me back, I love all the comfort features the car has to offer it is more than enough, everyone can rely on this car it is great as long as you take care of it, and the performance is good many owners of this same model loves their car and it has lasted them for many years and more to come. I rate this 3 stars out of 5!

Can't let it go...
By joshua38104

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Maxima with, If I remember correctly about 85k miles. I now have 130K 2 yrs later. Ive had to replace a set of tires, the radiator, the battery and now a minor oil leak. Sounds bad, but it's a used car and was more than likely its timing. With that being said I love this car. Ive thought about a new car but when I look around I compare other cars to my Maxima. Mine is a beautiful color (bluish) with leather seats that are in terrific condition, 6-disc CD player (that needs replacing bc the factory one is crappy) and a sunroof. No leaks. Keyless entry. MPG could be better but not too bad. This car runs and runs fast! Powerful engine. Love LOVE this car!

Keyless entry

MPG and factory CD player

pearly white
By stubdew

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car i have had 2000 gle 2001 and now the 2002 maxima se love the style of this car and comfort

all the interior

heated seats cloth,,,,,don't care much for leather

Fast and good looking but eats oil
By lostinfresno

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my Maxima in 2011 with 106000 car runs great and fast when using premium fuel.
Mine has needed strus since the day I bought it. I have put 27K on it and i'm putting KYB strus on. My mechanic said the monroe struts are too weak for a cra of this performance level.
Hard to believe my car burns 2 qts every 1k miles.
With that said this car runs strong will fry the tires in first and second gear. I have replaced the factory stereo (that was junk)
The interior is roomy and trunk
is cavernous.
I love the Zeon headlights most cars from 2002 don not have these in this price range I have replaced the radiator because the plastic tank developed a pin hole Still have original clutch

6 speed manual 17inch wheels

I hope Nissan has addressed the oil consumption because they still use this engine in a lot of vehicles

2002 Nissan Maxima
By zawada

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle, i would highly recommend it. It was very reliable and had an amazing engine. Perform regular maintenance and this car will not let you down. Only draw back was the poor MPG and recommendation for premium fuel

Xneon lights, spacious...but best feature was the HEATED STEERING WHEEL!

Hated the orange blinkers on the side of the vehicle, had to change those to clear lights