Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 343 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great Car So Far.
By Holajn

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great car for my family. We have had to replace the radio twice already. It had several electronic glitches. The warranty covered it and will cover future repairs for the next ten years. The Sonata is additionally very efficient, it has plenty of horsepower which still managing to get 29 mpg on the highway.

Horsepower, this car can move very quickly. The Trunk is also very large and can hold a large amount of luggage. The warranty is also outstanding, 10 years, unlimited miles on the powertrain. The Best warranty out there!

Electronics (Radio) has several glitches. This car has rattles in the cabin as well. This could be improved if the fit & finish was more elaborate.

We'll see how it goes from here
By Ozzie

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought it after reading a lot of reviews and test drives on Memorial weekend. I knew that many people are complaining about suspension noise and cracking noise from dashboard due to temperature fluctuation. But the price was unbeatable, I have option package 2 and I paid almost 6K less than Accord LX. I put only a few hundred miles, so far I no problems other than cracking noise coming from the dashboard when I turn on A/C.

PRICE...... I like exterior and interior design. Trunk is bigger than Accord's and Camry's. Mileage is great so far, around 29 mpg. XM radio, USB and iPOD interface.

dashboard noise...Nervous about suspension noise everybody is talking but yet to hear it.

Glad I Bought It
By Driven It A Year Now

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had this car just under a year and approaching 10,000 on the odometer. Couldn't be happier with the car: I average slightly over 30 mpg on the highway, it's quiet as a cemetery and I haven't experienced any of the minor gripes that I've seen other owners contend with. Recent road trips of 500+ round trip miles didn't fatigue me at all. And call it luck or diligence, but I don't have a single ding on any part of the body. This is the first vehicle that I've owned that I take to a hand car wash, and it looks as good as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. Wouldn't hesitate to get another Sonata, but I'm going to wait til any kinks are worked out of the Genesis and get a 2012+ model.

soft, supple ride, sunroof, excellent Infinity sound system.

none come to mind at this time

Great Review of a Hyundai?!?!
By BasicTek

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Taking a risk and buying a Hyundai after 11 years of ownership of a Nissan Maxima. There have been many doubts but so far this Hyundai keeps dispelling them. Unlike any other car I've owned this one has prompted me to drive out of the way just for the sheer enjoyment of driving and listening to the amazing stock stereo system. For a mid sized car it comes awfully close to Cadillac in ride quality. If you need to save precious $$$ from a new Camry or Accord I suggest you take gander at this car before making a decision. Hyundai has a chip on its shoulder and it shows as their newer products may not be just closing the gap but jumping ahead instead.

For a stock 80 watt stereo this thing rocks especially with XM/USB features and crisp clear sound. Also I really like the 249 HP engine with shiftronic tranny for fun driving. Finally I'd say the large storage spaces throughout including the huge trunk.

Many people have complained about various noises the car makes in the Hyundai forums. I'd recommend Hyundai does some serious research into this. I've search some rattles come and go and it makes the car seem cheap even though everything else about the car is contrary. Perception is reality.

Luv my Hyundai
By Jerry

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

OK, I only have the Sonata a couple of weeks but I am very very happy with the car. The power is impressive for a four cylinder and the gas mileage is great, avg 29 MPG all around. That avg is highway and city combined. It has a classy interior that is well layed out and very comfortable. I bought the Sonata to replace an Elantra, 77K miles, that I gave to my son. He needed a car. This is my seventh Hyundai. I traded a Land Rover for a Santa Fe, which I still own. I made a great trade. To date I've had no issues with any of my Hyundai. I plan to look at the new Genesis Coupe when it hits the showroom floor. I got the Sonata at an I can't pass it up deal, $12400 for the GLS automatic.

I like the Ipod hook-up and the USB input. The paint job is classy and is very eye catching. The interior is well done and looks great. I've had numerous compliments on the color I chose, Blue flake. The seats are comfortable.

None that I can think of. The car drives nice.