Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great Review of a Hyundai?!?!
By BasicTek

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Taking a risk and buying a Hyundai after 11 years of ownership of a Nissan Maxima. There have been many doubts but so far this Hyundai keeps dispelling them. Unlike any other car I've owned this one has prompted me to drive out of the way just for the sheer enjoyment of driving and listening to the amazing stock stereo system. For a mid sized car it comes awfully close to Cadillac in ride quality. If you need to save precious $$$ from a new Camry or Accord I suggest you take gander at this car before making a decision. Hyundai has a chip on its shoulder and it shows as their newer products may not be just closing the gap but jumping ahead instead.

For a stock 80 watt stereo this thing rocks especially with XM/USB features and crisp clear sound. Also I really like the 249 HP engine with shiftronic tranny for fun driving. Finally I'd say the large storage spaces throughout including the huge trunk.

Many people have complained about various noises the car makes in the Hyundai forums. I'd recommend Hyundai does some serious research into this. I've search some rattles come and go and it makes the car seem cheap even though everything else about the car is contrary. Perception is reality.

Luv my Hyundai
By Jerry

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

OK, I only have the Sonata a couple of weeks but I am very very happy with the car. The power is impressive for a four cylinder and the gas mileage is great, avg 29 MPG all around. That avg is highway and city combined. It has a classy interior that is well layed out and very comfortable. I bought the Sonata to replace an Elantra, 77K miles, that I gave to my son. He needed a car. This is my seventh Hyundai. I traded a Land Rover for a Santa Fe, which I still own. I made a great trade. To date I've had no issues with any of my Hyundai. I plan to look at the new Genesis Coupe when it hits the showroom floor. I got the Sonata at an I can't pass it up deal, $12400 for the GLS automatic.

I like the Ipod hook-up and the USB input. The paint job is classy and is very eye catching. The interior is well done and looks great. I've had numerous compliments on the color I chose, Blue flake. The seats are comfortable.

None that I can think of. The car drives nice.

So far, so GREAT! Really happy with it.
By Chadly

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I researched a new midsize sedan for about 10 months, and kept coming back to the Sonata. It hurt me not to buy American, but this car just had everything I wanted - for a price no one could compete with. After (only) two and half months, it's been exactly as advertised: Very nice interior; very good fuel economy (32 highway); handles well, and equally (if not more)important, impressed my snooty Infinity/BMW/Acura desiring wife!! Oh, and a note to those who complain about the doors automatically unlocking when you put the car in park... The owners manual says, in BOLD "This feature can be adjusted by your authorized Hyundai dealer". Read the manual!

Everything about the interior. It's very tight; very quiet; very nice looking, very roomy and very practical. It handles like a small car yet gives you the room of a larger sedan.

Mine seems to 'wander' a bit on the road - almost like it needs an alignment. I will get it checked out at my first service. Wish I didn't have to manually turn the 'cruise' switch on every time (wish it would just stay on)

Worth reading
By John

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Let me start by saying that I think any new car review by owner needs to be prefaced with "What car were you driving before you bought this ?" Everyone has their own standards by which the judge a car. It would be helpful to know where the owner is "coming from". In my case, I was driving a 97 4Cyl Camry with 101K miles. I have owned the Sonata for 3 months now, and so far I am really pleased with all aspects of it. Initially I felt that the steering was a little bit of a slave to the road, pulling either way depending on which side of the crown I was on. But that has worked itself out after the first month. This is a great car.

Interior.... the whole interior is great. I challenge anyone to find a car in this price range that has an interior that can compete with the 2009 Sonata. Everything is laid out beautifully, chrome in all the right place. The dash looks even better at night, a very pleasing display

I think a 6 speed would be a good idea. The right arm rest could be better situated for driving comfort.

Overall, pretty great.
By Enjoying new Sonata.

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I like most everything about our new Sonata. The (PE) Popular Equipment package, for about $600 extra, makes the GLS pretty nice, w/pwr seats, woodrgrain interior trim, radio controls on the steering wheel, trip computer. Somehow the advertised price of $14k went up to $21k by the time I got out the door (service contract, taxes, extras like floor mats) even tho I qualified for the $3500 rebates.

XM satellite radio. The many [affordable] convenience features. They told me the BlueTooth is invaluable, but I dont know how to use it yet.

I dont understand why the speedometer has to read to 160mph; this makes the lines very close together, and very difficult to read accurately for typical 35 mph driving where lots of police. Also, dont care much for the air bag warning light that stays on all the time if no front seat passenger