Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 321 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Reliable Car and Great Value!
By Benjamin

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this 2007 Sonata SE V6 since June 2011 (4 years) and it has been a wonderful car to own. I used to live in Texas so the paint has some minor wear thanks the the flaming sun but other than that most people don't seem to notice. I have received many compliments on this car to the point that many people thought is was a brand new car! This car used to be a rental car and I'm impressed how well it has held up since I took ownership!
I got this car around 97k miles and it is currently at the 152k mark and it is a trooper. I drove it from the West Texas area to Austin,TX (8 hours of driving) and I had a quarter of a tank of gas left! It gets really good gas mileage on the highway as long as you are in the 60-70 mph range. It gets terrible gas mileage in the city but that's a given for most cars anyway. During my undergraduate degree I drove six hours (one trip, 12 for round trip) from my hometown to my college and I haven't had any major mechanical problems with my Sonata. I'm currently attending Graduate school in Ohio and I have made 2 round trips of 2,224 miles from Texas to Northwest Ohio and I still haven't had any mechanical problems. It still runs and sounds great! It has good acceleration, braking, a quiet cabin and is smooth on the highway. I'm not a big fan of the body roll and the steering but I have dealt with worse. I have had regular maintenance and some major maintenance due to the age of the car. I had to fix the rear axle for the major maintenance but I haven't had any problems with my engine and transmission. My passenger window motor went out probably due to my car transitioning from Texas to Ohio weather and from people opening it all time -_- I have had some problems with the brake lights but the manufacturer recall quickly resolved that issue. If you baby this car and drive non-aggressively it will return the favor. I'm really happy with this car and I hope it continues to thrive!

What hasn't gone wrong???
By Kaitlyn

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I HATE this car. I take relatively good care of my car but it is literally falling apart. In the 5 years that I have had it, my driver window dry rotted and had to be replaced, my back passenger window has done the same thing, my driver door handles have both broken (interior completely broke off and exterior won't catch the latch anymore, the passenger side exterior hand literally broke off, my fuzes keep blowing so my airbag and check engine light are constantly on, my airbag had to be replaced on the passenger side, and my visor will not stay up anymore. Should i continue? It was a good first car due to good mpg and safety features, however, in the long run it is proving to be more money and trouble than it's actually worth.

Excellent Vehicle for the Price
By Rudy

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The 6 cylinder 07 Sonata has plenty of pep and the transmission is rather smooth. I have done all the regular maintenance and have gone to the dealer only once to service a recall on the passenger seat air bag. Which, by the way, was not serviced because the sensor chose to operate that day when I took it in, but has been malfunctioning on and off as long as I've had this car since new. The other recall was for the brake light switch that I chose to replace myself. I have a trust problem with all mechanics. The interior materials used are rather cheap. However, some tender loving care will do a lot to preserve it. The car has about 70K miles on it and still runs very smoothly. The paint job is of poor quality and seems to chip fairly easily. I clean it often and polish it regularly. I search often on the Internet for potential problems that others may have endured to maintain this vehicle.

08.16
This vehicle now has over 75000 miles. Since others have had problems with oil leaking onto the alternator, I've re-torqued the valve cover bolts to specification. Admittedly, there were several bolts loose and out of spec. There are no fluid leaks and the engine runs as smoothly as new. There are times when I have to look at the tech. to be sure the engine is on. Exteriorly, the finish is fine except for several paint chips forward and over the front fender well. Interiorly, the driver's side arm rest faux leather has cracked and the plastic on the dash adjacent to the windshield has developed a small crack. All exterior and interior systems work and I've had no mechanical problems. I particularly like the satellite radio for continuous music and the V6 power is mated very well to this transmission. My previous vehicles have been Datsun/Nissans and Toyotas with price to value ratios increasing at a rate beyond what I'm willing to pay. This trial purchase of a Hyundai has been, thus far, successful.

Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --,
the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Fun to drive -- when it runs Quiet ride Impressive power for a 4cyl Tons of trunk space very spacious interior -- roomy front AND back seat

Unreliable -- ticking time bomb for the next mechanical or body malfunction. Expensive to continually repair whatever goes wrong next. =\

Not a bad vehicle... Just nothing special...
By meathead212121

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle used with just under 35k miles on it about 2.5 years ago and have put about 25k miles on it since purchase.

The car is decently loaded... not as well as others but enough to keep the average person happy.
with everything designed to be functional more than luxurious... basically they're meant to go for the longhaul and/or help you not freak out as much do to the cost of the car.

The Platinum model I bought has plenty in it and isn't exciting (not my style) but I will say if proper maintenance is done it that it can be EXTREMELY reliable. I can't justify trading it because I've had no issues with it and for that I'm keeping it.

The V-6 in this car is pretty powerful and actually does very well on gas. I can average just under 25mpg's combined which I feel is great for the size of the vehicle. The car has PLENTY of giddyup to it and enough room for 4 adults to fit comfortably. Heated seats are a great option with the leather here in ND and they do only have one setting (scalding hot) but when it averages around 0 degrees you really can't complain. The sound in this car is amazing as well. The Infinity sound system can pump out the jams on long trips with 1 very large shortfall... no AUX input to plug your phone in... HUGE mark against it for me but for most people driving shouldn't be a major issue

One thing I have found out and I've seen other people speak of it as well. On the ice going under 15mph I have to turn off the ESC otherwise when I make a left-hand turn the rear-drivers wheel brake kicks in and sends me in a spin. Was a huge annoyance at first but it's become 2nd nature to me. The lack of Aux input is a small drawback but there seems to be enough radio stations to keep me happy for the most part. Some things in the car do feel cheap (volume knob, some interior plastics, etc.) for the price of the car you really can't complain... its a great value and if you can accept your trade is going to be low then I recommend it