Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

242,000 Miles and Still going!
By dyfwn

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Yes I have 242,000 miles on my '01 Wagon. I have had to replace my share of tires and brakes due to the 600+ miles I drive a week.

In the 5 years I have owned the car, which I purchased used with 66,000 miles it, I haven't had a repair bill over $360. And that was for the water pump and the timing belt at 215,000 miles.

My sercet, is to change the oil every 3,000 miles. Do not wait the 3 months if you are driving like I do.

My only wish would be for the seats to sit a bit more like a chair. The low angle can get to you on long trips.

took a $9000 loss to be rid of this car
By yuba4

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This should have been a great car, but was an absolute disaster.
17 service trips in first 16 months.
Ford was uncooperative and rude.
The worst of many problems was the rear brakes, which were always slightly engaged.
This resulted in bad fuel economy, but FAR worse was that it was extremely dangerous to drive on ice and snow.
The rear wheels constantly slid.
I race autocross, ride motorcycles, and race bicycles so I know a ridiculously unsafe vehicle from a regular vehicle, but every contact point of Ford ignored my concerns and insisted I was just a bad driver.
Send me a $9000 check, and I will CONSIDER buying another Ford.
Lemon law only until 12k miles - went to heck at 15k

Overall design and packaging was right on the money - should have been a great car

Corporate customer service rating 1/5, dealer customer service rating 1/5, engine, suspension, brakes, rear wheel alignment. Will never consider another Ford. Ever.

Would not recommend!
By Christina

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for 5 years. I bought it w/over 50,000 miles on it. W/in 45 days the engine blew. It makes a loud rattling sound, it shakes, the brakes always squeak & the front passenger seat belt has never worked. It's a very small car inside; very uncomfortable to drive. For being such a small car, it doesn’t get good mileage. The engine now has about 100,000 miles on it & the vehicle has about 172,000 miles. It has lasted me a long time for being a “Ford” but I have also had to put a lot of money into it for various things. It now needs a new Cadillac converter & water bottle. It would make an ok car for someone w/o children. But is not recommended for a tall person.

I don't think I really have anything that is a favorite about this car.

Everything! The car looks nice but runs horribly, is not safe because of the seat belt being defected and because it is always braking down, and it is too small on the inside.

I Used To Praise It
By bonnilass

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm now 60 years old. This car had 50k miles on it and was 4 y/o when I got it. Everything that could go wrong on this car has gone wrong twice in the 5 years I've had it (now 118k)and again I am facing motor mounts, a timing belt, a new head gasket the shifter came off at the base, the suspension trashed, CV joints, cooling system problems, numerous strange rattles, and the stereo pops out on the right side when I accelerate so it's taped into place. The wind whistles through every crack, and conversation in the cabin is not fun. It's a MONEY PIT $$$$ that knows no bounds, at least $1500 per year on the average. Unfortunately most of it hits all at once. I'm saddened by it's performance.

It's Bright yellow. After tinting the windows, putting a couple of personal decals on it and fancy wheels. I felt like a kid again. The fold down back seats create a lot of room; perfect for lightweight hauling. It's spunky & cute.

Due to the age of this vehicle, I'm sure Ford has learned enough from this vehicle that they don't need my advice on improving it.

Garbage
By bg

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had 13k miles on it and was 5 y/o when purchased. Thought the proverbial little old lady must have owned it. How mistaken I was. A/c out 6 months later. Cooling system problems, electrical problems, bearing problems, fuel pump, door panels rattle (this will drive you slowly insane), brake problems, motor mounts all replaced, transmission mounts. Need I say more?

hatch

outsource to India. maybe they can put it together correctly. or maybe the engineering makes that impossible.