Used 2001 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Best SUV I’ve Owned
By Russ

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 1992 Explorer was totaled in 2002. I planned to keep that as long as possible. Bought a used 2001 Explorer in 2002 and still have it in 2018 with 175K miles. Passes Calif smog checks easily, 16 to 17 mpg combined, change the oil and filter every 3K miles. Original hoses, belts, transmission, etc. No technology inside and rides rougher than new SUV’s but the comfort is good for long drives and the reliability is awesome.

my big blue
By zac

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i got my big blue at 164,000 never had issues a little rust work needs to be in the wheel area, but fords are know for it . i love my rig , right now it hit 171,000 miles on it i change the oil every 4 ,000 miles n like all my cars, i keep up with replacing parts . a car only as good as , the mechince who works on it . i did a road trip with it , she went good on it .

Love it!
By allies

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first vehicle purchase. I've never been fond of Fords, but this vehicle definitely changed my opinion. I love how smoothly it handles, it's incredibly comfortable and I find the fuel economy to be quite well (averaging 17+ MPG in the city).

I'm starting to run into some issues at 87,000 miles, all minor and relatively cheap fixes - but my biggest hassle was with the fuel pump. Finding a replacement was extremely difficult.

Overall I think it's a great little SUV and definitely fits all my requirements for what I need. It's a comfortable, reliable ride, and has lots of hidey-holes where you can keep tool kits, travel bags and other knick-knacks hidden and out of the way.

By far, the way the vehicle handles is its best feature. Very easy to maneuver and control and there's no need to have to retrain yourself from driving a smaller vehicle to this one. It turns just as nicely (if not better) than small cars and it's easy to navigate in narrow places.

Replacement parts are a huge hassle with this vehicle. Everything I've needed either had to be ordered in, or I've had to do trial and error with things fitting, since the XLS has different parts than other Explorers of the '95-'00 and '02+ years.

165,000 and running good.
By Fergus

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our this Exploder new and at 165,000 miles replaced the ball joints today. I replaced the thermostat at around 60,000, the brake pads around 110,000 and battery around 120,000. It has proven to be a very dependable vehicle. I have never seen it get less that 20 MPG and have seen it get as much as 29 MPG highway. I give some credit to Militec-1, as I have used it in all my vehicles since being introduced to it in 1988.

Mileage and dependability are my favorite features. I do love the auto headlamps and auto-dimming rear view mirror as well.

Factory paint, starting to see some metal and rust showing. Partly my fault due to the lack of waxing; but, would expect better as we do not live on the coast.

trouble free
By Kaos_agent1

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dora (The Explorer) in 2004 with 40K miles on her. 4.0l V6. To date I have replaced the thermostat, both radiator hoses (innie and outie), brakes, serpentine belt and tires. She has never let me down and has 150k on her. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, hands down. This is one of that last real SUVs - built on a truck chassis (Ranger platform). We lived in mountains of northern New Mexico and spent a lot of time boulder crawling on two-track roads along mountain ridges. Great 4X4 capability as well as highway capability. the ride is a bit bouncy, but I tamed it a bit when I put a set of bilstien shocks in place of the factory ones. The explorer is paid off and still alive

Off road capability, driving lights, ride comfort

better suspension... that's about it