Used 2009 Dodge Journey SE Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

This car is awful...
By jfogs

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you want a car where you need to replace the brakes and rotors every 15k miles and will start when it feels like it, then this is the car for you. Think I'm kidding? Just google it. Do not buy Dodge/Chrysler. This company deserved to die and you and I are paying to keep them on life support. Never again.

The fact that it ever works

Gasoline and a match

Do not purchase this vehicle - 2009 - 4 Cyclinder Model
By barry_72

Brakes are horrible.
Just after 12k miles, front brakes had to be replaced.
I replaced with Autozone pads (lifetime warranty) and those lasted for another 20k miles better than the mopar's.
I'm on my 3rd set of brakes using Autozone pads which offer free replacements.
Rear brakes had to be replaced at 38k miles.
I've never had a car in which the rear brakes had to be addressed before 100k miles.

Don't let Chrysler touch your brakes.
$30 for your first pair of Autozone brand and they last longer with LIFETIME warranty even with normal wear.
Chrysler will just put the same sub standard parts on your car for replacement that you'll have to pay dearly to replace.

Interior design. Size. Style. (Had to replace the sun glasses drop down storage and fix the rear seat's center console since the plastic molding broke off.

Chrysler should take ownership when their mechanical design is less than other makes/models. Interior has a nice design but terrible quality. Brakes are the worst I've experienced on any car. Why in the world would you have to replace your battery from under the driver side wheel well? Battery placement is a horrible design idea.

Dodge Journey United Kingdom
By miffed3

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Dodge journey SXT CRD AUTO in May 2009 7000 miles on the clock, went in for service @ 20000. The result being new brake pads on front and 1 new tyre. Three months later another new tyre. In Feb this year car was juddering on take off so took it to the dealer they ran the computer on the car and told me to pick the car up as it was now running perfectly.Needless to say there was no difference in the running of the car. Was told to bring the car back to workshop on the 16 Feb.on the way the gearbox intermittently lost its drive so the car limped into the workshop. Was told it needed a new gearbox and it would be a week {Chrysler supplied a hire car} it is now 21st May & lots of phone calls to garage,{none from them to me}lots of
phone calls from Chrysler customer service, have had three delivery dates from them for this gearbox to arrive but still hasn’t infact Chrysler customer service told me he was going to stop ringing me with updates as it was clearly upsetting me…….Who wouldn’t be upset ive owned this car for 2 years now but its only been in my drive for 21 months and in the workshop for 3 months.The Garage who sold me this car is based on Mereyside United Kingdom & said under no circumstances would they consider a buy back. Will keep posting on here and other forums as and when things begin to happen.

Seat cover stains
By PHIL COMER

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the day I drove my new car off the lot I have had problems with water stains on the seat cover material. I have been trying to get the company to do something about it for over a year now. They are supposed to let me know by 10/21/2010. This is clearly a defect in the material. Even condensation from a cold soda can will leave a stain.

seat material

Nice Looking and um nice looking
By EGH75

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car when I first saw it. Nice looking car and test drove good. Since it was first year model, there was no history. I wish I didn't buy it. Rubber pieces on outside of door just by rear tires fallen off. Replaced rear brakes at 40k and fronts at 56k. Both visor mirror covers have broken off. Stained seats can't be cleaned. Pass. window motor is shot. Had my engine computer flashed twice. I've had to change both inner and outer tie rods. I'm getting poor gas mileage. No where close to the gas mileage you're supposed to get. I'm already looking at trading it in. Too much plastic on the inside. Feels cheap. Although it's a 7 seater you can only put children in the very back.

Outside looks. Interior looks good but cheap plastic everywhere. Lots of storage.

Everything.