Used 2009 Dodge Challenger Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Challenger

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:

Black Pearl SRT8
By Black Pearl

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 09 SRT8 in December of 09. This car is the best machine I have ever owned. I don't drive it daily usually bring it out on the weekends. It's not ever to cold to drive it in AZ so I can drive it year round. The 6.1 hemi runs like a wild animal. At full open throttle the exhaust sounds like music to my ears.

What I like most is the body this car has one if the best bodies I have seen on a car in decades. The fact that it has a 6.1 hemi under the hood is just the cherry on top. If you don't have a SRT go test drive one it's a monster.

For improvements the car should come with the CAI, 93 Performance Tune, and last but not least a supercharger. All that for 45k.

Silver Bullet
By Tony Skells

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a new 1970 challenger se and kept it for 8 years until the family outgrew it. it was a great car and in the time i owned it i did nothing except do oil changes and tune ups. my 2009 rt is a better performing car than the original. i like the mds tranny as a gas saver. compared to ford and gm Chrysler got the retro challenger looking right. the fit and finish is a-one. my wife gets to drive it more than i do. she is a driver and loves the car. there are a lot of auto suppliers on line that have a lot of upgrade items for this car.since 2009 Chrysler has also put out a catalog of accessories.

the rt looks great with 20 inch low profile tires. the leather individual buckets seats are very comfortable. i am glad i got the electronics option. the keyless start is great with this car. the suspension on the rt is very sports car like.

better placement of the direction sign indicators in the dash fascia. memory setting for the driver's seat. make the compact spare standard. have operating rear windows. the car is a two adult seater not a five seater unless you have thin short friends/children. the upgraded mats should come with rt

An Excellent Upgrade
By saku97

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I first purchased the SXT model in May 2009 and loved it. Just out of curiousity I went back to the dealership and drove the R/T Model. I was instantly sold. I was hesitant to buy the 6 speed manual as it has been years since driving a "stick". I'm glad I did. This car is pure power and an eye catcher. I have owned a few sports cars in my day and this is by far my favorite. I have owned 2 Camaros and loved them, but, they cannot touch this car. I parked it for the winter and cannot wait until the spring. I frequently go to the garage and admire it . I'm hooked.

looks, power, sound, stereo system and power again.

rear seat entry from the driver's side would be nice, but, I'm okay with how it is now.

one complaint
By Bill

2009 Dodge Challenger SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I could not afford the RT so I bought the SE cause I had to have it. It is a beautiful car in every respect. I will soon be installing some upgrades, duals, air charger. V chip. It will then sound as good as it looks and go a little better. This car has the 18 inch aluminum wheels and I have no plans to change them.

Body styling

one touch up windows. The windows freeze at the lower stiping and do not drop out of the upper seals, this is a real concern for anyone who drives it in the winter. Still looking for a solution to this. I don't drive it in the winter myself and it still bites because I need to start it once a week.

2009 Dodge Challenger RT
By bathat

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a real eye catcher. Within 2 weeks of first seeing the Challenger, I had one in my garage. I get compliments every time I take it out for a drive, and have had a few impromptu photo shoots in parking lots. Great acceleration. The exhaust configuration specific to the RT manual delivers a confident, but not obnoxious exhaust note. Interior noise is not an issue, even at hwy speeds. This is not a sports car, so you're not going to corner with a Mustang or Camaro, but you may find it more comfortable for cruising. After 10k mi, not 1 issue. Visibility takes getting used to. Hill start assist and skip shift are easily disabled (most if not all muscle cars have this.)

Incredible torque and acceleration with a comfortable ride, suitable for cross country road trips. Highway mileage is good considering the power. I get 27 mpg at 65 mph. Not so good in town, depending on your foot. Great looks and build quality.

Stock tires do not handle the power very well on hard acceleration from a stop. Hood release feels cheap, No donut spare with my option pkg. Front end looks intimidating, though rear looks bland.