Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great value...
By elbarto247

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2004 with 9K miles. always taken care of the care by doing the maintenance myself. Car has had no major problems since i purchased. Just had my transmission oil and radiator
flushed a replaced. Car still performs very well. Taken it on multiple trips a year and always average between 26-28 MPG. Have highly rated All season tires and always perform regular oil changes. Acceleration always begins to be a problem right before oil changes are necessary, but the car performs very well otherwise. Interior is differently not of high quality and things do brake but nothing a little lover and attention wont fix.

"Update" the car had a total loss after breaks failed on the highway in January of 2016. Tried to fix myself but could determine the reason for the loss of breaks. Took it to the dealership to get it fixed but after 3,000 in repairs they could figure out why the breaks were not engaging Eventually traded it in for a new car. Lasted me 13 years befor it gave out. Overall it was a good car and I would have boughten it again.

honeymoon is over
By bordelon

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Loved car until intake gasket leak, warped brake rotors, anti-theft sensor went out, 4 AC control plates, and now has a slight jerking when softly accelerating.
Bought used in 2004, am second owner.
Up to 98,000 miles.
Decent acceleration from stop if you press gas 3/4 way down.
For passing on interstate, floor it and it'll downshift.
Am doing mild hypermiling.
Average between 22 to 24 mpg in city.
Use cushion with opening for tailbone.
Seat bucket now painful to my tailbone.
Very little rust caused by rocks and parking lot car doors.

When arm is on armrest, hand rest easily on shifter. Large trunk. Smooth on rough roads. Virtually invisible to cops and thieves. Smooth shifting transmission.

As soon as GM finds out about a quality problem, stop blaming the vehicle owner. Solve the problem, implement the solution on the production line, and make repairs to the problem as they're brought in at no cost to the customer. Better seat cushion material, better stereo/speakers, better trim material quality, better fit/finish on interior and exterior (looks like rear bumper wasn't finished being installed)

One Hell Of A Car
By jc775

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

To Start off, I don't care about the negative comments foreign
car fans have to say. The Chevy Malibu is an amazing car! I got my '03 in'04 as a first car and i'm happy i did. This car got me home EVERY time. Yes i've changed the Intake manifold gasket and fuel pump but like they say, take care of the car, car will take care of you. Just recently, I was coming down the mountain road covered in black ice. Going the 50 mile speed limit, the car hits the black ice and crashes, hitting the side wall. She still started right up and drove us down not to far to safety at a chain instal shoulder. She took all the damage which cost her her life. This car saved my life and the lives of my friends.

Reliable, fast, great look, inexpensive repair costs, safe,trustworthy, amazing. My Malibu died at 200,000 miles and still had lots of life left in her

GM permanent fix to intake manifold gasket?

Not Bad, Not Great
By rswanson101

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving my '03 Malibu LS (fully loaded) for about a year now. I purchased it used with only 26,000km on it!
I really like the way the car rides. It's so quiet, even on the highway, and it soaks up bumps really well. The interior fit ad finish is ok, but nothing amazing. It's got nice pickup in the city, and really good passing power on the highway (I've passed with ease at 150 km/h on a steep hill. The worst drawback for me are fuel economy. I only get about 16 city and 22 hwy carefully, watching my driving habits, 15 & 19 driving normally. The other thing is that it feels cheap at times (ie some of the buttons/knobs). It's not too bad, but should be thought of as 'just a car'.

Dont buy it
By kevpa1

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car under with 90,000 miles. At first the car has no problem and after a while it started making a clunking noise randomly and it feels like its about to break down any minute. I cant want to trade this car in.

I like the V6 engine