Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 449 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Would not purchase another BMW
By h13cyl

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In 2006 I purchase a new 325I. Have own many different type of cars and none have disappointed like this 2006 325I. Here is the history of the money pit;
In 2006 I purchase a new 325I. The bad; head replaced, valve cover-broken bolts, door handle sticking, water pump, rear window replaced because of faulty defogger grid , rear windows sometime work, starter motor, ignition coils, less than 90k on my car.
No more than a money pit. The Good; fun to drive.
the car now has 125k on the clock, oil pan gasket replace, another starter, more broken valve cover bolts, oil filter housing gasket replaced.

The life of your car is dependent upon the way you maintain it.
By jatoops

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never read so many poor reviews on a vehicle that was the World Car of the Year for 2006 (its first year of production). I used to be a BMW service employee at Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. I saw countless '06 325i's and 330i's. Shockingly, the customers who performed recommended services at the right times rarely had complaints regarding the 3's reliability, and since returned to buy newer models. BMW's aren't made to be run into the ground by drivers who have zero regard for taking care of their car. I've loyally taken care of my car. It's 8 years old with 82,000 miles and all I've replaced unexpectedly is a taillight bulb. Take care of your cars, you'll be amazed at the difference.

When I first test drove a 3 series, I was shocked at how heavy the steering was. I was used to the feather-like effort of a 2010 E-class coupe. After buying the 330 and driving it, I've grown to love the heavy steering - it's natural feeling and provides excellent feedback. The Logic7 sound system is incredibly good and quality made. The engine is on another level, and the sound is even better. xDrive is effective through even heavy Chicago snowstorms. The car tracks well even with all-season tires. The driving experience truly makes you feel in complete mechanical control without being too "raw" to perform as a luxury car. The ride is solid. Not floaty, but not harsh either.

The cupholders are abysmal. Flimsy and inconveniently located. Under heavy acceleration or braking, a bottle of water will go flying. Some interior surfaces wear more quickly than others. An alarm system is not standard - instead the car comes pre-wired, and the install is $600 at any certified dealer, where the install should be done. On a car with BMW logo on its hood and running a $45,000+ sticker brand new, an alarm system should be standard.

Buy beware
By garyatvartac

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My BMW is a maintenance night mare. I absolutely hate my car b/c it is as reliable as the wind. The craftsman ship of the 3 series is poor at best. My car started to pour not leak oil. The entire cooling system failed at 90,000 miles. The car is a big money pit. The electric water pump on the car costs around 600 dollars and the thermostat is 150 at a discounted auto parts store. I paid 1200 at an independent shop to get the starter replaced. My BMW was nothing but an overpriced piece of junk. The car was underpowered and unreliable at best.

Fun to drive but frequent fixes
By alphonsea

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this 325i new in Oct. 2005 as a 2006 model. High on fun to drive meter but too many serious repairs. The car was great until about 75K miles. From 75k to 129k ignition coil failures, head bolt replacements, chipping paint, window motor failure, radio LED failure and sticky door handles. However I still love the car but not inclined to purchase another. I also had a 94 325 and a 97 525 which had less electronics but were more reliable.

Handling, smooth reving engine, excellent braking

Get rid of half the electronics and focus on durable drivetrain and suspension.

Amazing performance, the true driving machine!
By at_car_guy

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned the car for two years. The warranty and maintenance plan will help you not worry about its bills. It is an engineering marvel, it shows unmatched performance. It is in a level no other car in it's class could match. On the negative side, the interior is poor and has no sense of luxury. especially the door panels. Anywyas, keep in mind when buying from BMW dealers, that BMW Financial services is such as disgusting company to buy from! If not really into the car, I'd suggest opting for Mercedes C class, on performance it falls much shorter than the Bimmer, but it has a nice interior, it's more comfortable and Mercedes dealers and MB Financial service know how to treat people well!

Brakes, Steering, Cornering capability, abundant grip, beautiful engine sound, more efficient than it's competitors and a true definition of a production driving machine and driving pleasure.

The interior needs a touch of luxury, especially the door panels. You can see the body color through the gap between the door when the doors are closed. The interior of this car is not in line with the excellence in rest of it.