2010 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Mold Smell in A/C system & Low Oil Level Warning
By vmfromtx on 01/25/13 11:50 AM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my CX90 New and have owned it for over 2 years. My Volvo XC90 has an annoying issue. When I turn on the A/C, for the first 30 seconds, bad mold smell comes, and then I don't smell it. Reported to the dealer on 4 different occassions. They supposedly did everything ehey could, but the problem still persists. Recently, at 58000 miles, suddenly "Low Oil Level" sign came up. When I cheked the dipstick it was below minimum. Dealer supposedly checked it and found no oil leaks and says that they must not have put enough during the previous oil change, and that Volvo does eat some oil between service. I will have to monitor the oil level to see if there is a problem.

Nice Car - Couple concerns
By lhos315 on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the car about 8 months. I replaced a minivan w/very squeaky brakes. I was disappointed that within a couple months the brakes were already squeaking in this car. I've had it in the shop a couple of times but they have not been able to fix it. The ride is a little stiff as has been mentioned. The V8 is great with a lot of power. I got the nav package and this system is pretty poor. The rt traf is helpful but this system can't find big time retail stores without typing in an exact address. I wouldn't rec buying this nav system. I too have experienced the buzzzz in the speakers which hasn't been fixed. Does anyone know what this is? Overall a good/fun/safe car to drive around

Nice Ride!
By Kat1976 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle through the military/diplomatic sales in Bahrain and overall it exceeded my expectations. Dissapointments: the vehicle was delivered to DC/VA almost four/five weeks behind scheduled arrival date with wrong interior color (calcite seats...ouch...), my speakers are making weird bzzzz sound. I installed bluetooth and portable 'Garmin for Volvo' navigation system and I am pleased with both. I especially like the portable navsystem, because you can use it with other vehicles;saves you $ when you rent on vacation. I really like how it handles the bumpy DC/VA roads and that there are no blind spots like in other SUVs. Also, the free service plan on 2010 models is a MAJOR perk!

great at first NOW IM GETTING RID OF IT!
By Penny Johnson on 09/04/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We got it we loved it. we ordered it through the military program and got it fully loaded. 2 days after we got it it went to the shop, BLIS was not working properly. when we got it back the mirror was not on all the way and had to go back. our DVD player broke 3 months later and brought it in. we went to pick it up and they told us it had a recall and it couldnt be taken off the lot. I was mad bc we were going on vacation for the next two weeks and had to take our expedition. we went to pick it up and they LOST our headphones! AND it was dirty inside! i asked them if they would clean it and they said we had to pay for it! i will be trading this 6 MONTH OLD CAR

Good but needs a overhaul
By someone! on 07/20/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I got this car for my wife and we did the European delivery program which was amazing, I recommend it dearly, I've owned many volvos and this one is the best so far, the only problem I've had with it is the right middle pillar's plastic molding will rattle over jittery bumps and the materials in the interior are not up to date. but one thing if you get the 3.2 you probably will want AWD because it makes it drive much better and without it it's kinda slow

After 2 months
By 4everyoung on 03/29/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Overall one of the better values in the luxury suv market (especially one with 7 seats) and in my opinion one of the better looking suvs' out there even if its an older design.

Van to XC90
By Tatunka on 03/11/10 06:45 AM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Owned for a few months now and no problems. As noted I would like to see better technology in this car like a modern nav and stereo. The safe and sound warranty is great. All service including oil,brakes rotors, wear and tear etc (except tires) are covered for 5yr/60k 91 octane is recommended but hard to find so I use 93. You can use 87 but I notice a lack of power with the 3.2 engine. Overall, I love this SUV. It is sharp looking and safe. No new design appears in the works until 2012.

4 Months Driving Experience with XC90
By AusTXGK on 03/07/10 07:23 AM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the Volvo XC90 in November 2009. We replaced a 2004 Ford Expedition in order to downsize and gain a little better fuel economy. Pros: The interior and exterior quality and styling of the vehicle is excellent. The leather seats are the best quality/most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned. The vehicle is exceptionally quiet and drives very smoothly at cruising speeds. Cons: The acceleration of the vehicle is a little jerky from start to about 30 mph. It is very noticeable as the vehicle's automatic transmission shifts gears. I think the 6 cyl standard engine is a little undersized for this vehicle. Also the gas mileage is disappointing at average 20 MPG (17 MPG city).

good choice in mid size SUV category
By hook'em on 03/05/10 14:20 PM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this primarily because I believe, based on an in-depth research, it is the safest SUV around. I looked at the data behind the NHSA and IIHS's ratings in addition to some detailed rollover test results from something called JRS rollover test. I might have taken this safety stuff a little too seriously. However, looking beyond just the readily available ratings (which, in my opinion, would incorrectly indicate that other SUVs are just as safe as the XC90) revealed that Volvo's safety reputation in this case is well deserved. Other pluses: The interior is functional and flexible for our family of 4 (plus grand parents) and to my eyes, this SUV looks better than the others.

Good Value for the Money
By cabotcourt on 02/23/10 17:20 PM (PST)

2010 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was apathetic about buying the XC90...too many of them on the road, until I saw the styling of the R-design package...definitely sets itself apart from the pack. The 5 year maintenance/wear and tear program and safety record was what ultimately sold me. Overall, very happy with the vehicle. Just wish it had better gas mileage. A few other minor annoyances like the brake pedal being too close to the gas pedal and the seats seem a bit narrow, but once you get used to these "quirks" they take a back seat to the overall value I think the vehicle offers.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volvo XC90 Suv in VA is:

$100 per month*