2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (70 reviews )
Great car - Toyota hits a homerun again
By thomasw828 on 01/03/08 04:54 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought car on 12/26. Love the vehicle, nav system, and great sound system. Left a 05 Lexus Es330 for this and am very satisfied. first mileage is over 38 mpg, still learning the tricks.

Lexus for the price of a Toyota
By sukhoixx on 12/29/07 02:59 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very very quiet and comfortable car. The ride is so fun, in the way that I am amused by not hearing the engine sound so much, and not feeling the road. I get to enjoy my CDs and watch the FE gauges. The car feels very stable as if driving a mini-tank, yet it is very responsive and fast. I don't know how quiet and comfortable Lexus can get, but after getting this car for $26.3k out the door, I don't think I'd wanna go for Lexus for $$$ more.

This One's a Keeper
By DC Commuter on 12/23/07 09:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a DC commuter and purchased this car, primarily, to have access to the HOV lanes on days when I don't have a carpool. With a 40 mile one-way commute in sometimes heavy traffic, average mpg for the first 1500 miles has been 35.5. I will say that this car is a phenomenal deal for the money. Being accustomed to driving higher-end performance cars, we weren't really expecting that much out of the Camry, other than a more economical means of transport that gives to us flexibility in getting in and out of the city. However, we have been absolutely, truly impressed. The Camry has great acceleration and handling, the ride is very smooth, and the fit and finish quality is truly noticeable.

Camry Hybrid 2007
By Kinsale on 12/10/07 18:40 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our 2007 Camry Hybrid fully loaded is a great car. It has plenty of power when the electric motor kicks in instantly with no hesitation. The ride is very good, outside noise is minimal, all controls are easy to reach, and it is fun to drive. MPG is outstanding averaging 39 MPG during normal driving. 52.7 MPG is the best, but rarely achieved. It is nice to pull up to the gas pump fill up the 17 gallon tank and be able to go 520 miles as shown on the display. The car has more than ampleinterior room, but lacks in the trunk were the battery takes up space. The build is very tight. It takes a little getting use to the engine turning off at stop signs as it runs on the battery power.

Incredible vehicle
By david hatchel on 12/04/07 21:23 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a new '08 camry hybrid two weeks ago - what a great car. One day on the way to work I got 40 mpg, another day 43 mpg!!! I ran almost all the way to work at 43 mph on whittier blvd, very light traffic at 5:30 a.m. on just the electric motor. Mine was made in japan, silver, jbl sound system, leather. It is so quiet. Mine seems to have a lot of power! I'm very happy to have it.

Awesome
By Joe W on 12/03/07 13:27 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

EPA mileage is a diservice to this vehicle. I averaged 40.1 and 36.7 MPG. This included a roundtrip from Phoenix, AZ to Laughlin, NV at an average speed of 59 MPH. This is the first car I owned that exceeded the EPA estimates.

It's a winner!
By Dallassite on 11/15/07 11:28 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my 2008 Hybrid for about 2 months. I avg'ed 33.5 mpg for first few tanks; last tank 35.6 mpg. I drive pretty quick. Mix of city/suburban/freeway driving. I'm 6'3" and I am very comfortable driving. It is quiet, surprisingly quick and really a nice car.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid-First Tank
By Bob from Arizona on 11/13/07 15:03 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our 2008 Hybrid Camry in November 08. The car is so quiet you have to check to see if the power is turned on. Our first driving experience in a Hybrid was a trip of about 225 miles and involved climbing from sea level to over 4,500 ft. The car had no problem climbing hills or keeping up with traffic. We averaged 42 miles per gallon on this road trip which is better than stated by Toyota. I am sure the car is capable of doing even better but if you can get over 722 miles on a tank of gas (17.2 gallons), you're doing well. The key to getting great gas mileage on a hybrid is to avoid jack rabbit starts and keep your speed down.

A joy, but city MPG not always roses
By Steve on 11/13/07 08:53 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car, but I have used it mainly for city driving, with a long shallow upwards grade when I go north and a lot of stops, and it is a struggle to keep mileage above 30 MPG. I have read and written to innumerable folks who have a similar experience. The problem is the combo of a cold engine, short trips, complete stops, and moderate hills. I am learning better how to coast more, and this improved things, and I recently got almost 50 MPG in my commute when I went south (down). But in the city, particularly in the cold, it is certainly not a given that the mileage will be in the 35 MPG range. I have only 800 miles on it, so maybe things will improve. But I second all other raves here.

Great Ride and Mileage
By Sean on 11/11/07 19:25 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I test drove several hybrids before settling for the Camry, and what won me over was the handling, the ride and the smooth transition from gas to electric. I currently have about 2900 miles on my Camry and have even taken it on a road trip and my fuel average is 39.9 miles per gallon. Much better than the EPA estimate for the 2008 model. Coming from a VW suv that got 16.5 mpg this is a god send, since the prices of gas keep rising. I got the fully loaded Camry with leather and navigation. This is the best car I have ever owned. Thank you Toyota

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.