Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 282 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

LessThan Perfect
By Phillip

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 65,000 miles, I have become to like the car more now than when first purchased. Bad interior rattle near top of back glass. It took tree trips to dealer to get fixed. Has lots of other little rattles in cold weather. Transmission hesitation and jerkiness at low speeds is a definite design flaw to me; however, Toyota will not admit to this of course. The hvac system is very hard to control, especially in cold weather. Once automatic system acclimates, warm air comes from floor vents and unwanted cold air comes from dash vents. Toyota will not admit to this design flaw either. The laser cruise control in concept is great; however, it doesn't work as should, waste of money.

Overall, I like the car, especially its reliability. The economy with all that power is amazing.....motor is tops. The exterior design is pleasing, lots of people look at it. Sound system is tops. Navigation system is very handy.

Transmission, transmission, transmission. I think Toyota would benefit greatly to replace the present transmission with a CVT type transmission. The current transmission is really poor.

Great Value
By JB

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a true bargain. I have owned other sedans but for the money this may be the smartest choice. This car is a true pleasure if you like a luxurious ride with great reliability. The car is smart looking without going overboard, the interior is excellent. For buyers looking for a sport feel this car is not the right choice.

Interior layout is second to none.

improve the latch on the stereo cover

Best Ever!
By Susan F

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Toyota Avalon. I love this 2005 Ltd. When I owned my other the XLS was the top of the line but, was an excellent car prompting me to buy another one after reaching 145,000 with no major problems. This is a truly exceptional handling car with power, luxury and is also fun to drive. When I am driving my Avalon, I am truly at the helm of my flag ship. Do your self a favor, go test drive a truly luxury, full-sized Avalon and you will be hooked. Happy driving!

Pop-up sun screen on back windshield, reclining rear seats, exceptional safety features, sound system, power, mileage, rain sensing wipers, heated & cooled front seats.

None

Not up to Toyota hype of Quality
By My First Toyota

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In for service many, many times for rattles and squeaks. Noise was in both front and back of vehicle. Original set of tires lasted 19,000 miles and was told by the dealer this is common for that car. They are expensive to replace as are the wiper blades. Rear brakes showing more wear than front (odd for a front wheel drive car) and will have to be replaced in approx. 5-10 thousand miles. Mileage on the road is down about 3 miles per gallon since new. All in all I guess I am disappointed in my Toyota ownership experience. It is not that it is a bad vehicle, but it simply does not live up to the quality Toyota advertises.

Still love the looks and room of interior. A big car and great for travel, aside from the 14 cubic foot trunk which is a little small. I find it quiet when not rattling or squeaking. Lots of paint chipping, more than my other vehicles.

Navigation system is terrible to use. Sometimes more is not better. After having many Honda's I tried the Avalon because of its size and looks. I found the Honda's I had to be much more trouble free.

Great car
By james

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased the 05 limited model, excellent power, nice interior features, real nice ride. The paint buffs out real nice, lots of depth and great shine even on the light color. Real solid feel to the ride.

The keyless entry, start, trunk, etc. Back seats recline like sitting in your easy chair at home. Great leg room.

None so far.