2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Not the Toyota I Expected
By mikeecee on 05/20/11 16:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Avalon was purchased w/ about 90,000 miles...we took it for a short test drive it was great! HOWEVA', when driving on longer trips, both passenger and driver seats become uncomfortable, to the point of numb legs. After about a year of ownership, during an oil change, the technician informed me there was 'a lot of oil on the engine'. We took it to the dealer, and a crankshaft gasket had failed (they said it is a freak thing). Most expensive repair ever. Otherwise, it has been fairly reliable

Ultimate reliability
By Kevin McLean on 11/12/09 08:54 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 137,000 miles on my Avalon touring edition 2005, the car had zero problems. Of course I have changed the front brakes out once, and tires rotated/changed once. This car has been a sigh of relief in having the confidence this car will not break down. I realize that no car will not run into problems with regular maintenance performed. But, so far this is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. In one year alone I put up 55,000 miles on my Avalon with only a battery change. If you're in outside sales, having to keep every appointment, this is the car for you. Luxury & reliability, this Avalon will be the last car I will ever have to purchase.

Lots for the money
By glendola on 01/30/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Avalon new in 12/05. It did have 1,100 miles, however I consider that new. It was in the showroom, and in black on black it was a totally impressive and sharp car. I was impressed with the laundry list of standard equipment. From the reclining rear seats, to the most exceptional stereo I have heard, even in cars that cost $15k more. I won't get into the other standard features because that would take forever, let's just say you want for nothing in this car in the way of luxury. I have had absolutely no complaints mechanically. Even the tires with 48,000 miles still have at least 15,0000 miles left on them. The performance is astonishing. Would definitely repurchase.

Love It!
By Phil on 11/13/08 05:17 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Ford Explorer to the 2005 Avalon Touring Edition. I love it! I'm 6'6" and even I would be comfortable in the back seat! I love how the Touring Edition hugs the road. By rotating my tires every 5,000 miles, I was able to get 60,000 miles off the original set. 2 years and 1 month of ownership the battery died. I am disappointed somewhat in the quality of the interior. The finish is wearing off on inside the drivers door handle and a few other small issues but overall the car is great and gets great gas mileage.

Great Ride
By Dan Barrett on 06/18/07 13:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Exceptional vehicle, it is a solid 12 on a 10 point scale. No disappointments, just a pleasant ride, excellent performance and good fuel economy.

Nice car, Major oil leak...
By Freezer on 10/12/06 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 11/05 as a pre-owned "certified" vehicle. We have the blizzard pearl with black interior. Purchased with 8,000 miles on it. The vehicle handles nice with plenty of horsepower. Noticed an oil leak the first day we brought it home. Brought it back to the dealer and they performed a TSB repair, oil lines etc. To make a long story short we went back to this dealer at least 3 times to fix and to another dealer about 4 additional times to finally get this resolved. We had to involve the Toyota Corp rep to get satisfied results. The engine had to be pulled to find the leak which was a void in the seam sealer near the cam saddle. Lets just say that I never expected this from a Toyota.

Lovely Avy Touring 05
By Touring05 on 08/02/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving this car for a year now and I like this car a lot. I am in love with this car, let me put it this way. I know that there are always some problems with any new car but it's a small matter. For instance the shield between a spoiler and the trunk is somehow sticking out. The other thing is the frog light is loosening. Other than that it's a great car. As you know it's a big car and comfortable which I feel like I am in the living room especially when I am in the back seat with recliner. Also I think It's saved me gas with this big car and comfy. How can you beat that? Most importantly I like the power this car. it's unbelievable but at the same time it rides like a lexus.

Best Choice I could have made!!!
By Linda Taylor on 05/25/06 00:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a bad back and right leg and the Avalon is so easy to drive. I can drive for longer periods of time and the comfort is great for long legged passengers both in front and in the back seat. The size of the truck is fabulous too!

Disappointed
By Slats on 03/29/06 15:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I HATE to say this, but as a long-time Cadillac owner, I finally switched to Toyota on the advice of friends who are loyal Toyota owners. The ride is great, the gas mileage is spectacular, and the interior and trunk space are huge. BUT - the interior finish is cheap. The yellow foam on the front seats shows through. I've had the steering column replaced (recall item), the driver seatbelt stopped retracting, the power steering pump went out (10,000 miles) and it's got a ferocious pull to the right that the dealer says will probably be a future recall. Not the quality/reliability I was looking for. I'm considering switching to Lexus. Not what I expected at all.

Great Family Car
By Avalong on 12/14/05 17:42 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to run from the hurricane with my invalid mother, pregnant daughter and 17 yr old son. We were all comfortable during the 1200 mile trip to and from. The car was quiet, comfortable and on interstate the gas mileage was great. there are some "blind" spots when you are travelling faster than normal on the interstate that you need to watch out for.