Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

58,000 Miles Since I Bought New
By Greg

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review on this rig. First one was at about 27,000 miles. This is my 5th Toyota (4th new Toyota and second 4Runner). I have had no problems at all (knocking on wood). These are bulletproof vehicles if you service them regularly. The maintenance cost is very reasonable. I have found the longer I own a Toyota the more I like it. This one is still very solid. I did not like the OEM tires (Grand Trek) so I replaced them at 27k with the top of the line Toyos (HWY tread)... what a difference! Like putting a new suspension on. I have been very pleased with the MPG (21.8). Actually get better city than hwy because I keep it under 20000 rpm in the city but have a lead foot on the hwy.

Reliability, solid quality feel, sporty look, smooth tranny, quiet ride, it has a firm ride (since it is a true truck axle set up) but not bad for what it is. I like the remote window opener.. use it a lot for those things I forgot to put in or take out. No rattles, V6 has plenty of power! JBL sound.

I don't like the heater/ac controls. They work fine but even after 2 years they are confusing. I like the simple ones like on my Camry. Plenty of room (I am 6'2") but don't plan on driving far with the back seat down..it cramps the driver position for bigger people. I wish it had an iPod adapter.

Hype
By Ron

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife's 4Runner was showing a fault message so she took it to the dealer, the message has been removed but now the windows don't work. So much for the hype about Toyota Quality. The fuse panel is very low and doesn't have a fuse puller so back to the shop again, at least it's still under warranty. The layout of the acessories is awful, it's a safety issue to try to find things and drive. Pull off the road before selecting the defroster of looking for the cruise control. Fuel economy is really poor, under 9 mpg towing a lightweight trailer on flat ground. The 4.7L engine sure isn't up to the challenge.

Outside styling.

Fuel usage, lack of headroom and layout of controls.

Typical Toyota
By dave

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a typical Toyota, built rock solid with excellent reliability. I drive through out So Cal and this car is very comfortable on long commutes. I am 6-0 tall and have plenty of leg and head room. The ride is excellent. Very smooth on the road and around town. Gas mileage exceeds specs. I get 24+ (rated at 22 mpg) on the highway. I also find the optional 3rd row seat a very useful addition. I am very happy with this SUV.

7 passenger seating, flawless V6 engine, comfortable interior.

Fold flat 3rd row seat would be a great improvement.

Decent, but it's not perfect
By clifford

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The good: easy to drive around town, not bad on the road up to 300 miles or so, very sensitive to tire rotation as it is 4wd, decent rock crawling/off road capability, decent tow vehicle. The bad: windows rattle like an old Camaro when partially down, vibration at 1800 rpm, engine idles too high when cold, expensive maintenance in the future if you keep it 90-100K miles, timing belt and valve adjustment. Is this the very last vehicle to require a valve adjustment?? Window noise.

V-8 power, smooth tranmission, good brakes.

Confirming what everyone is saying!
By brian

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I've waited about 5,000 miles to write this. I love the truck! The looks of the Sport Ed. is awesome. Love the 6-spoke rims! Smooth, solid, quiet ride. This thing handles excellent for an SUV and the steering feel is so tight! Brakes are good, V6 is pretty quick. Gas mileage has been about 19-20 MPG, but my last trip with 4 snowboards on the rack got me ~16 mpg. Only driven in a few inches of snow, but it handled good. Can't wait to get rid of the Dunlops tho. Best vehicle buying decision EVER!

Auto A/C, cargo mirrors, headlights, rear window, rims, 4WD. My passengers say: "This thing is smooth!" and I've had about 5 people in 1.5 months say "the rear windows go all the way down!" They love it as much as I do.

Front seats are kinda uncomfortable for long rides. I need it to be a little taller (I'm only 5'10") so that my thighs rest on the edge. Running boards get in the way, but I like the way they look.

• SUV