Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Quality after 70,000 miles
By trevk56

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced a 2000 Toyota Tundra with this car and never keep a car for more than three years, but I am now starting my 6th year with this 4Runner. I have had the 45 and 60,000 mile maintenance +tires/brakes that ran about $1700 and the AC synchronizer went out ($238). I have worked the front rotors once and replaced them once in 70,000 miles and can't complain because the brakes are great (4 wheel disk) and the power from the V8 and all wheel drive make effortless stoplight to highway merging simple. The gas mileage has stabilized (with full time 4WD) at 15.9-17.5 and best ever highway mileage was 19 worst was 11.2 pulling a trailer. Can pull Jet Skis or Boat at 75 up hills no problem.

The offroad systems are outstanding. Hill start assist is an option I have to have now. Works great on a boat launch ramp. The TSC and VSC just let you mash the gas and drive in the winter and deep snow without spinning a wheel. I took it out in the desert - solid with the stock tires and skids.

Mine has the plastic charcoal body molding on it that is fading in the sunlight. They painted all this on the 2005 model. An additional forward power point would be nice.

Most Underappreciated SUV
By 4Runner2003

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 years old and have had two 4runners, a 1999 and a 2003. I test drove every midsize SUV and some full size before I bought the second 4runner. I kept telling myself that I should get something different but this vehicle just fits me so naturally. Everyone who I let drive my 4runner comments on how stable, predictable and comfortable it is. It's also very capable off road. It seems no one has fully picked up on the 4runner's excellent traits. There's still way too many Explorers on the road.

Steering wheel controls, seats are low to the floor so I don't feel like I'm sitting in a chair, and the power assist tailgate.

Make it a little wider, a little taller and a little longer, but not too much.

Great SUV
By Ed Parans

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 1st 4 runner in 1995, my 2nd in 2000. This year I decided to upgrade into something more luxurious. I still wanted the room so a crossover was out of the question.I tried the MDX and the RX 330 and was left feeling dissapointed. They were nice enough inside but did not feel right. When I test drove a limited 4 runner, I got the best of both worlds. A great , reliable SUV in the mountains and pretty sweet ride when we head downtown.

Well made and reliable. Good road visibility and driving position.

What's with the cassette player?

Rattle Rattle Squeak Squeak
By 2Noisy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The sunroof rattles like it has marbles in it. The left front rubber insulator between body and frame squeaks when it's cold. The lumbar motor in driver's seat went out and was $750 to replace. There was a support tapping me in the back, so it had to be fixed. It has been to dealer for the noise and is still not fixed. The seat is ok now. I am running H/T tires and handling is great. Radio still sounds great with it's 10 speakers. Handles and rides well on trips, but rattles from sunroof will drive you crazy.

Handling, radio, mileage (22 HWY and if you slow down to 60-65, you may get almost 25 mpg.) Towing performance is satisfactory with a Sea Ray 18 behind it.

Fix the sunroof noise and frame squeaks permanently, not just for a while.

Good SUV
By Gygax

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid vehicle that has been a driven daily since purchase (along with yearly road trips from Midwest to Coastal states). Several minor issues have arisen since purchase that have been handled under warranty.

The 4Runner ride, transmission shifter, electric rear window, cargo space.

Redesign 2nd row seats to lay completely flat behind driver seat without moving them forward, improve transmission design (specially relating to 4x4 not always being able to engage), eliminate noises from sunroof area, redesign intermittent wiper for rear window, improve base stereo, improve MPG & HP