It Still Works But Required Work
By Wayne on
2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought this SUV in 2003 as a carpool car that could handle the NE winter, and ski trips to VT. It had Toyota 2nd hand warranty. 2 immediate problems: car stalled when accelerator punched (once on the Whitestone Bridge!), and parking gear did not engage (almost rolled off of a cliff!). Both were dangerous and the dealer only ID'd the second problem (both had numerous complaints). At 140,000 miles: paint job failing on rear hatch (no fix), bumper rusted out ($1000+ at dealer), replaced air sensor twice ($450 each at dealer) and inside tire rod ends ($70 at non- dealer part store).
Favorite Features
Seems pretty durable, and will probably keep it until 200k. Looked nice when I bought it. Now considered a beat up version of the car you let your nanny drive, and I will keep it running with non-Toyota parts (to save the money). Obviously something is wrong with Toyota paints.
Suggested Improvements
Improve durability of Toyota paint. Never buy a chrome bumper car unless you live in the desert. Once you are out of the warranty period, never get your car serviced at a Toyota dealer. I save routinely 45% for any item I get fixed.