2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A home run...
By rwoavon on 01/18/10 17:29 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car to replace a 2000 Volvo x-Country wagon which fell apart at 59,000 miles. I bought the Subaru Outback because 1)it provided wagon- like features; 2) it was cheaper than a Volvo; 3) the 2.5 ltr. turbo flies. We are now at 45,000 miles and have been DELIGHTED with 1)it's reliability- never a problem; 2) the engine- wow, does this car move; 3) it's capabilities- all wheel drive makes this car indestructible on snow, ice and rain. Negatives- we wish the car was a wee bit larger. Also, lack of a telescoping steering wheel is annoying. We love this car but looked at the new and larger 2010 redesign. However, without a 2.5 liter turbo option, we prefer our car. Zoom Zoom!

Comfort, convenience, and safety
By Jerbear on 12/04/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our second Subaru. The first was a 1999 Forester. We bought this one because it had better ground clearance than the Forester, was more roomy and looked better. Ours is a stick shift which we like because of the better control and because we tow it behind our RV on trips. We average about 21 mpg in mixed driving and around 29 mpg on the highway. Love the car. No problems aside from an alignment problem when new which was taken car of by the dealer. Wife is an EMT and HAS to be able to get through...this does--and does it very smoothly! We'll get another in a couple of years as well.

2006 Subaru Outback not a hardy 4WD
By aurora on 08/30/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Three big disappointments: 1. it is promoted as a 4 WD with high clearance. So you would think you could take it on a mountain road. Although it has high clearance there is no "low gear" so it doesn't have the umpf to make it up a steep hill (I do not mean extreme steep just a somewhat steep hill -- like to a trailhead). 2. I have owned this car for 3 years and I have had to replace two rear wheel bearings. A mechanic told me that when Subaru redesigned the Outback the rear wheel bearings weren't of the quality as the previous design. 3. We had absolutely no steering control on a powder snowy road last winter & crashed 5mph. I've never experienced anything like that in previous cars.

All around good
By preacherman on 07/23/09 17:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Limited offers all the extras and the standard 4cyld is more than adequate for average usage. Good snow and ice traction keeps you going through all 4 season. A good highway car if you don't need lots of extra space. Drives more like a car costing much more and the build quality is outstanding. Drove this car cross country MA to CA and averaged over 28mpg. With a small trailer from CA to MI the average was almost 21mpg. Speeds were up to 75mph on both trips. Take it easy and get 30+mpg.

I love my first Subie!
By nhsubie on 07/07/09 07:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru and it won't be my last! We shopped around for months for a solid used car and finally decided on the 06 Outback Limited after driving the new Jetta, Rabbit, Civic, Fit, CRV, v50, Forester, Sonata, and old 04 Outback. The 06 Outback Limited outshines them all! This car has everything you would ever want in a car - AWD, HUGE moonroof, heated seats, leather, turning radius, 28 mpg, smooth ride, and space to haul. And at $14k, it's a steal!

My 3rd outback
By jsta on 06/23/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned 3 outbacks (1997, 2001 and currently, my 2006. The 2006 is superior to the 2nd generation outback. It's tighter in quality, with better handling and not as soft riding as the 2001. I don't know why some get such poor mpg, but I have kept the second trip odometer on actual mileage, and for 50k miles, I have averaged 26.8 mpg and, I drive lots in mtns, on any of the 4 mountain passes in the northern cascade mtn range. City mileage is about 24 - 25, but on long freeway hauls, driving 60 70 mph, I have hit 30 mpg, but usually get about 28 mpg. That said, if Subaru does not improve mpg levels (though they are far better than many USA all wheel drive cars), I might jump ship to Honda.

Worst car ever owned!!!!!!!!!!!!
By BHOW on 06/23/09 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Ivory Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

DO NOT BUY!!!! I had my computer go haywire, and it said that the engine was overheating, when it wasn't even close, and it wasn't even a hot day! The daytime lights went out twice. It is underpowered, and I wasted $30,000 hard earned dollars. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

A superior fast touring car
By Hans Harald on 06/01/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Am 70 years old now, owned some very nice and powerful cars during my life, this one is the most satisfying of them all, by far, especially after replacing the OEM Yokohamas with Michelins (see below under "suggested improvements"), which actually make the car do what I am waxing about in this review!

Not a Car for those with Infants
By Tamara on 05/21/09 12:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased this vehicle, I did not have a child. With the exception of the headlight and interior lighting systems (mentioned in reviews by others), I was reasonably happy with the car until I had a child. This car does not allow for the infant car seat to be safely placed in the center of the backseat, which is the safest place for the child to ride. Moreover, the front passenger seat had to be pushed so far forward to accommodate the child carrier behind it, that that seat was rendered virtually useless. Although I had hoped to keep my OB for some time, the inconvenience associated with trying to transport an infant in this car will likely cause me to trade it soon.

Good Value
By Daniel on 05/10/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First Outback and likely we would get another. Good performer for the price. Got ours brand new for just over $20K. I have had brake noise issues since day one. I have taken it on several road trips, holds a nice amount of cargo and good MPG.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.