2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Mountain lion/Battle tank

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Mountain lion/Battle tank
By Ashwin on

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best AWD money can buy, I am so used to it now whenever I drive any other car it is always a comparison to an outback and everything else is disappointing, I specially like the solidly build chassis and suspension, wish there was little less body roll, I drove this car uphill in 1.5 feet of snow and it was like driving a battle tank, I love the sure footed handling, I tried a 4 wheel drive Passat and Volvo, BMW, Jeep, etc and nothing performs like it, I drove it in the mountains in Catskill all winter, I found many jeep 4x4 stuck in the same tracks as mine, love the robust engine. Cross country trip was so comfortable, no problems so far, I am at 100000 miles, VDC should be standard.

Solid h6 engine, sturdy, safe, heavy duty, nimble footed, significant power, excellent traction-built for bad weather, whenever there is storm I go out. But be careful when icy, it's beyond physics to be safe in ice roads even with awd. Like heated seats, heated, rear view, heated wiper bay.

Should have less body roll, should have standard vdc for vehicle this size/weight, not much use of awd in city on a good day, it just adds more momentum and drains power, better to have feature to turn awd off for NYC, stop n go driving, better if uses 87 octane fuel, abs not good on icy roads.