2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Stay with Toyota
By Andrew on 02/10/10 07:03 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 3 months ago and there has been nothing but problems. It was checked out before I bought it with 82000 miles, and everything was good. But it has been in the shop 5 times now since I've owned it. I'm going to sell it as fast as possible and buy another Toyota Tacoma.. I'm never buying subaru again...

OK but I expect more
By jasn on 06/12/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this after owning a Acura, Honda & Toyota - comparatively, the performance responsiveness is lacking in the Outback & it guzzles premium gas. Brakes and AC had to be replaced already & the much-vaunted AWD doesnt seem to make much difference on the snow covered roads of Canada - still slip & slide all over. I would definitely not buy another... back to Honda or Toyota for me.

AWD is necessary
By sidekick on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

There is always something to improve on the car and I am never satisfied with what carmakers have to offer. But being an experienced driver, the one thing is most important - AWD. So, the choice is instantly limited. And Outback is a really multipurpose AWD - 3.0 engine gives enough acceleration power, but you can still use it on bumpy streets and even off road.

Sublime Subaru
By Subfan on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After extensively researching and driving several crossover vehicles, the Outback seemed the logical choice. (Others considered: Nissan Murano, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Toyota Highlander.) I bought the top-of-the-line VDC model, and paid slightly under dealer's invoice (whatever that means, given dealer holdback and other strategems). I needed a modest amount of cargo capacity and good handling of mountain roads; purchasing something larger just didn't seem necessary. I'm very pleased with the result--fine handling, power, and visibility; a smooth, quiet ride; and an interior that matches that of more expensive vehicles.