2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Good for snow, but thirsty and noisy
By Raj on 04/26/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fairly spacious little wagon that works well for our family of four and dog. The car shines in the snow, which we've had plenty of the last two winters. The reliability has not been so impressive - frozen calipers, broken primary pulley - and the clutch is pitifully heavy. The engine is torquey but thirsty - lots of sub-20 mpg tanks around town this winter. During the summer, I dream of selling the thing, but it's effectiveness in the snow keeps it in the family (for now).

The balance I need for my family
By jszilvagyi on 04/12/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has offered the perfect balance of performance, comfort, fuel economy and reliability for my family. I have experienced cars that are better in one or two categories but this has been perfect for loading up my family for week long road trips as well as my daily commute.

Subaru loyality shot
By spirit1 on 10/23/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to have the stereo replaced (after fighting with the dealership over it because they initially refused to repair it) while it was under warranty because of a faulty CD player. Soon after the repair, the speakers quit working. Some of them will work some of the time, but never all of them together and most often, none of them. Dealership won't back their work. With 50,000 miles on the car I had a dash light burn out. Soon after several instrument panel lights have burned out - windshield heater control, passenger side seat warmer button and the air circulating button. The cruise control lever sticks and often won't disengage. CV boot shaft just replaced. 62,000 miles. Now what?

SUV - Significantly Underpowered Vehicle
By Paul on 09/02/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

An OK car, but nothing to get excited about. I don't notice any particular benefit to the AWD, but northern NJ has pretty tame weather. The 4 cylinder is kind of wimpy in this fairly heavy car. Disappointed by cheap plastic in the interior. First day pulled the coin tray clear off the dash. Also, there are these silly little doors in the back that don't really close over storage areas. Most annoying - after 3 years, developed a whining sound at highway speed - exactly like our 2002 Impreza. Dealer wants $492 to replace some window gizmos. I think not. Our '97 Dodge Caravan doesn't sound like this. Probably last Subaru I'll buy.

Great car
By Bill on 05/16/08 08:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback a little over a year. I run my cars to death and they never set for long periods of time. I do newspaper delivery in this car. So you know the car has to be good. It gets driven anywhere from 60 miles to 150 miles everyday. The only problems I've had with it is the water pump went out, nothing new had a '97 legacy gt with the same problem. Recently the CV boot tore in half and threw grease all over the catalytic converter. Not a big deal. The water pump was bad for almost two weeks before I took it into the shop. Car has never really left me down. Now I have had some performance parts put on it to compensate. Overall a great car would buy again.

Feel Secure
By Merle on 10/11/06 04:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just like our 1997 Outback, it's reliable, good of fuel, and we feel secure.

Subarules
By Long Hot Summer Days on 03/13/06 17:42 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Outback. They are the most reliable cars. They are very versatile; you can haul the wife and 3 kids or drop the back seat and move desks, filing cabinets, etc. They are very desirable. Buy in the spring and sell at the first snow fall.

Get Back to the Drawing Boards
By sfsailman on 11/23/05 23:33 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a dog this car is. Funny looking side panels, what are those about. Ever try to transport a dog in the back? No ventilation = unhappy pet. Cup holders are useless since they are too far back. And the thing auto shifts at the strangest times. Now it sounds like it's blowing its nose around 1500 RPM's. I'm going back to Toyota where I should have stayed. Give me back my Tacoma, please.

great car but problems since day 1
By Michael Armani on 12/23/04 23:29 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really like the car, great all around vehicle. towing jet ski, hauling stuff, going thru snow, it does it all. However, idle problem with manual transmission model. Car out of service 6 days in first 2 weeks of ownership ! one fuel inj replaced. Idle and hesitation continued to be a problem. Very disappointed in both the dealer and Subarus willingness to sort.

Great Car!
By Alexandra Gomez on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in Southern Manitoba, where the winters are very cold. I have used my car for every day driving and never felt afraid of the weather or road conditions. I also like the fact that is a wagon, but it doesn't look like an 'old mama's' wagon at all. I recommend this car to my friends all the time. When the time comes to get a new vehicle, I'm sure it will be a Subaru.