Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Subaru Impreza STi Fan
By AngusinMD

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was fortunate enough to get one of the first few in Annapolis. I love the car, it is everything I thought it would be in terms of performance. I wanted a car with a huge 'grin factor' to justify all of the hours spent at work. And this car provides the grin factor in spades. I can't really ask for anything more from the car in terms of performance, styling, and fun. It is a sports car so the creature comforts must be overlooked.

Favorite Features

The engine is by far my favorite feature, the sound is wonderful to listen to and the turbo spooling up and down is like a jet engine. The aural satisfaction is 100%. The short throw transmission is a blast to drive, and the wide tires provide tons of grip.

Suggested Improvements

Something could be done to improve the drink holder design and the trunk release does not always work perfectly.

Rich Power
By idle0ne

i was looking at this car thinking it would be a decent car, i had yet to test drive it and i liked the interior. When i test drove the car i was sold on it, that is by far the fastest turbo 4cyl engine i have ever seen. The price bit my wallet a bit more than i wanted them to, i tried to get the car for invoice but i couldnt get anyone to do that, the best i got was $600 over invoice or around $31k then taxes etc.. i am getting the car for a total of $32,900. I cant wait to open this car up to it's full capabilities but i want to break it in properly and get used to the power so i can control the car and not let the car control me.

Favorite Features

Power and the interior looks

Suggested Improvements

i would suggest they improve the car a bit more by adding a navigation system and adding the cruise control and radio controls to the steering wheel for easy access, i know that i dont want to take my hands away from the wheel unless i am shifting.

X STI C
By Strider

What a fun car to drive as a daily commuter. Power will definitly get you tickets if you don't practice some self control. Invest in a radar detector (V1)...saved me a few times already. You WILL get people wanting to race you at stoplights!...don't think most even have an idea what's under the hood :) It's just nice to know that you would win in most cases.

Favorite Features

Power/Torque, Handling, Brakes, and 4 doors on a car that is so performance oriented.

Suggested Improvements

No Radio (should have a basic radio as a standard feature), no floor mats. minor rattle now and then (seems to be temp. dependent)

I love this car!!!
By It's finally mine!

I bought this car because of it's performance combined with it's versatility. I work closely with several different doctors and have had the opportunity to drive many of their cars ranging from King Ranch F-350's and H2's to Z06 Vettes and BMW Z3's. This STI will easily keep pace with my friends' Vette, plus I have a back seat and a trunk and average 25 mpg. This is the first turbo-powered car I have owned, but the power deliver seems very smooth to me. It is very easy to putt around town in, but even easier to fly on the interstate with.

Favorite Features

The boxer engine sound is addicting. Even better is the sound of the turbo spooling up. I like the double overdrive tranny. The lights are like the Sun. I never have to worry about seeing something with no time to stop. The high beams will reflect light over 6/10 of a mile away!

Suggested Improvements

Having the I/C water spray button on the left dash is a reach. First gear tends to rev up way too fast. The ride will rattle your fillings out on the crappy Oklahoma roads. I wish we could have gotten last year's "bug-eyed" model of the STI. It was a little less noticable.

SuperCar Performance...
By EmergenZ

Subaru got everything right on the STi! Look at the performance features: 300HP/300ft-lbs TQ, Short-throw 6-Spd, dual LSD's, DCCD System, Brembo's, BBS's...the list goes on. The STi's "fun-factor" is phenomenal. It is difficult to find a true flaw with this car. I've had the opportunity to now drive mine in snow, in which it did not disappoint (clad in all season tires).

Favorite Features

- Bang-for-the-buck factor - Dash Layout (centered tach, built-in shift warning system) - HID's - Ability to plant a smile on a driver's face

Suggested Improvements

The only item that I would ask for would be for the large rear wing to be an option (I would have opted for a notch-back trunk).