Used 2013 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My 2013 Subaru Forester
By willowby

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2013 Subaru Forester, so here comes the nit pickin'. I bought this SUV in November of 2012. I hate the gray plastic dyed interior trim inside, looks great until you scratch it. Too expensive to fix or replace! Don't like the silver plastic front grill, there is no touch up paint for it! The inside carpet is fraying around the floor mat, but it's not too bad so far, could use better quality carpet. The ride is not bad, but could be smoother. The Bluetooth doesn't filter out noise very well, when trying to call out! No exterior temp gauge! This vehicle could maybe be 3 inches higher. Keep in mind, these things I mentioned may be improved on the 2014 model!

I love the way it drives. Also, I can see all around the car through my rear view mirror, i have great visibility even on the back rear side windows. Huge back rear window! The blind spots are minimal! Has great torgue! Not slow too me! Has a great turning radius! I got a lot of features for a reasonable price! Black fender flares would look nice!

I would put a interior temp gauge inside the car! This makes me feel uncomfortable! Get rid of the gray dyed interior plastic and replace it with a hard grained vinyl! Make the Bluetooth better quality for filtering out noise, when trying to call out, it keeps saying it can't understand me! Improve the quality of the carpet! Raise the vehicle at least 3 inches off the ground! The front grill should be a hard plastic black rubber, the 2014's grill has been changed! Don't know the material that is being used! Fog lights should come standard on all vehicles! Better gas mileage, 28 city, 35 hwy. Mazda has Skyactive technology! Black fender flares would look nice!

Subaru Forester 2013: Meh...
By gber

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Subaru in Feb, 2013. The Subaru does very well in poor driving conditions - I used it through 3 snowstorms. Get the winter package - heated seats and windows. But in regular conditions, the Subaru disappoints. The engine is geared to punchy in city driving, which I like, but on the highway, the engine is all noise, and little pickup. Once up to speed it is fine. Gas mileage has yet to crack 21mpg in mixed driving. Which brings me to the handling. On city driving it is fine, but at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is pronounced - I gather from the forums that this is rather typical for Foresters. Overall, a boring, but competent vehicle.

Poor driving condition handling is excellent - the vehicle feels so in control, I dare say I drive faster than I should. Ground clearance is awesome - I confidently drive over ice damns and snow that have caused my Jetta to bottom out. Interior space is wonderful too. Flat and boxy - ideal for large cargo. My favorite feature - the visibility through those boxy windows is class leading. I hate the tiny windows other SUVs come with in the name of style. Winter package is well worth it - heated front windows and heated seats. 'Nuff said. Very large panorama roof window. Open it up and you feel like you're in a convertible.

The 4 gear auto transmission is to blame for poor highway acceleration and poor gas mileage (21 mpg so far). The ratio of engine noise to acceleration is poor. The Bluetooth and voice controlled electronics that come standard with the premium model are horrible. After a week, I stopped using it all together. Wind noise at highway s peed is a bit pronounced. The seats could be more comfortable even with all the adjustments that the electronic seats provide.

Basic and awesome.
By curban

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, and I love it. I was looking for a comfortable and basic SUV that can handle weather, terrain, and carrying bikes, camping gear, whatever. After 8 months of ownership I'm completely satisfied with the Forester. It's great fun to drive (the base model with manual transmission, I drove the automatic at the dealership and didn't like it), it's hard not to feel happy when you're in it. Handling is solid and it doesn't feel top heavy at all (helps that the Subaru engines are mounted very low to the ground). In terms of interior comfort I love how spacious the interior is. The controls are a bit plasticky but I like them that way. The seats are quite comfortable.

All wheel drive, spacious interior, visibility, huge cargo room, bluetooth

Improve the audio + speakers. Otherwise no complaints.

Great Value
By reddog19

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Subaru. We sold our 2000 Honda CRV, which we loved, and thought the Forester provided the best value among the competition. Initially our best gas mileage was about 22 during a half hour commute, but after our first oil change it rose to 24.5 on the commuting run which is more acceptable. There are no blind spots with this vehicle and it drives great. The AWD is as good, if not better, than my Silverado truck. It scales my steep driveway covered with 4" of snow and ice with ease, something the CRV had trouble doing. It is a nice looking car that we hope will serve us as well as the CRV. The base vehicle with alloy wheel package is a great value compared to the others

The all wheel drive system. It works as well as advertised and we haven't found a situation that the car can't handle. Visibility - most of the competition has large blind spots where it is hard to see the surrounding traffic; this one does not. Value - the base model with automatic with the alloy wheel package. Drive position - you sit a little higher; my wife is short and she loves the seating position. Outside temperature display - every car should have this, even the base models.

The quality of the seats could be improved. Although they are adequate, they could be better.

Great little car
By sicsniper911

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new in September of 2012 and thus far it has been a great car. I have nearly 10,000 miles on it already and everyday i still look forward to driving it. It has the 5 speed manual tranny in it and with that it has plenty of get up in go. The cornering on road is great for how big the car is and offroad it is even better. I have plenty of clearance for mild to moderate offroading and plenty of grip as well. Also performs excellent in the snow with no slipping unless i forced the car to do it. Highly recommended to anyone looking to buy.

My favorite features of the car are it's ability on and off the road. Living in Nevada, i have the opportunities to go off the beaten trail a lot and this car has never let me down. Winter driving is great with Subaru's AWD system backing you up and sunny driving is great too with the enormous moon roof. Also there is plenty of room for passengers to come with you on these outings. the front seats are big and the rear seats have plenty of room so passengers aren't to squished together and have ample legroom for long trips.

The only thing I would improve on this car is the lack of fog lights with the particular model. I would think that because of the fact that they come with most Subaru's standard , they would come on the highest model of the Forester with the manual tranny but evidently not.

• SUV