Used 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Can't Complain
By Bobbi

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new Aug 2000. Had 2 miles on speedometer. It has been really a great car. Yes I've had some issues as with all cars but all in all It has treated me fairly good. The belts need to be changed around every sixty thousand miles and it still wants to squeal especially when cold. AC never that good. Oil dip stick broke off twice. They need to get rid of the plastic head. I have two hundred and thirty thousand on her and she's still running nice. Fuel pump replaced once. recall done on sensor...free I now need struts but won't put any more money in her as she's old. She's been a good car and I'll drive her till she stops!

Handling great. Good brakes and gas mileage.

Change the plastic head on the dip stick it gets hot & breaks off. Belt issues?

Nissan Sentra
By Sergio

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have own this car since 2004. I bought from a dealership at 44,000 miles. I only had to do Oil Changes until 80,300 miles when the catalytic converter went bad. but, lucky enough was cover under warranty. (but, the dealership made me pay for half $400). Aside from regular up keep i haven't had to do much till recently. Now, I am at 127,000 and the radiator was cracked after that was fixed I started having issues with the Idling of the vehicle. which I am trying to get resolved now. Nissan is aware of this issue. when the vehicle is on Park it will go to 2-3,000 RPM. Oh yeah. I also had issues with the pedal sticking. but, I got it resolved. (read below how)

I don't car to much for the vehicle. but, it gets me from point A to point B. and that is what I love about it. Oh yeah, plus its paid off so, I have not auto payment each month.

In regards to the pedal sticking I actually went and had the Throttle body removed and cleaned cost about $110 and it about an hours worth of labor. But, it was truly worth it.. cause now I don't have that annoying sticking pedal!

Piece of foreign junk!!!
By Awful luck with cars

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 5-spd car in Nov. 2008 only because my 93 Buick Centry(oh how I miss you!!!) finally died. So the car was great for the first 5 months, then the battery and alternator died, but i expected this since the car was 8 years old with 101,000 miles on it, so no big deal. a couple of months after that, Mass Airflow Sensor died, then EVAP Sensor, then a coil in 1 of my cylinders, then my struts, springs and strut mounts broke on the driver side....oh yea, and my check engine light is still on!! I've spent about 3k just trying to fix the car so it passed inspection, but after the struts blew, Im done!!! To make things worse...I still owe $2500 on the loan when I bought the car! My luck!

Fun to drive when it's running! plenty of storage. Handles nicely

Small cupholders, body rots out easily, CD player works when it wants to, engine falls apart, most auto repair shops can't figure out what's wrong when the check engine light is on b/c nissan has weird codes or something like that, just buy a new car if you can!!

I have loved this car.
By Happy girl

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Nissan in 2002. This car has been more than I could have hoped for. In 8 years of ownership I have only had 1 problem with the alternator going out at 133,000 miles. This car just keeps going and I often say I will drive it till it dies. The interior is a little small if you have a family and the drink holders are awkward but all in all this car has been awesome. Bravo to Nissan.

Drink holders should be in a better place.

Owner of 10 years
By grezavi

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car model when it was first released back in late 1999 as 2000. Typically I don't buy first model years but in this case I did because it was so much superior than the Civic or Toyota. I had problems with its electrical system and A/C in the first couple of years but after sorting that out, things have been great and I am very pleased. The last year or so a check engine light has come on, it is harmless for the part and has been on for about 40,000 miles so go figure. I am very impressed by the car now in its 10th year of ownership and I am tempted to repeat another Sentra purchase.

Handling.

Electrical systems more reliable and better seat belt tensioners.

• SUV