2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Love the car

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS PZEV Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Love the car
By nerl945 on

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Elantra for a week now, have put almost 700 miles on it. I've done two fill-ups, first one included 65% highway and got 38.1, The second one today which included 75% in town and 25% highway, I got 33.1. This is actual mileage, miles divided by gallons. Taking it on a trip this weekend and expect 40 plus on highway. The front has as much room as our 2010 Malibu, back 3" less leg room. Trunk is .3 cubic ft less than Malibu. It has more than enough power and drives very nicely. First time I ever paid "sticker" for a car but it is worth it. Made in the USA by non union labor. Gas mileage, outstanding style, build quality, outstanding warranty drew me to the car.

I love the room in the front seats, nothing sacrificed here. It handles great, seems to have a sport suspension. I'm in sales and I love the large trunk. Six speed automatic shifs up and down very smoothly. Nice radio with XM/CD. Seats very comfortable.

Needs automatic lights. Does not tell you when to change oil, fixed 7500 miles, they recommend Quaker State but I will use Mobile One. Need instant fuel economy rather than just accumulated mileage. Long warranty should go to second owner but reverts to 3/36
By nerl945
on 09/13/11 21:52 PM (PDT)

I've put 6000 miles on my Elantra, and I now see I am NOT going to get 40 mpg. The best I have gotten has been 38.4 on a trip. The "on board mpg" is off from 3 to 5 mpg. When I got 38.4, my "on board" said I got 42.5 mpg! Has Hyundai adjusted this thing up to make people think they are getting 40+ mpg? I milk a car for everything I can get in gas mileage, for instance, I can get 38 mpg in my 2010 4 cylinder Malibu, I got 34-36 on my 2008 Sebring and I'd get up to 35 on my 2006 V6 Malibu.