Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Needed some work
By Amy

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased the car I knew it needed work. I had three recalls on it when I bought it not including a bit more repairs than I wanted to make on a used car. The gas mileage is great, specially on long trips. Other than that it is just going to be the car I hang on to until it breaks down. Hope it lasts a few years with all the repairs.

Speakers

I don't like how the car feels like it's being strained when the air is on. Need more trunk space.

It's been fairly reliable so far
By John

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 01. So far, no MAJOR issues with the car; it's been mechanically sound and reliable at 104K miles. The couple of times I took the car in for warranty-related work, the dealer refused and wanted me to pay (it was electrical issue). Seems like warranty work is a hit/miss with dealers. I've had only minor annoying electrical problems so far, like the dash clock not working (took it apart and repaired myself), turn signal switch intermittent (repaired myself), side mirror heaters no longer work, air blower switch position 1 doesn't work, several bulbs in the dash burned out (including the headlights numerous times). Steering vibrates at above 60 MPH intermittently.

I like the simple but functional interior of the car, it has decent acceleration, it's fairy comfortable for long drives (seats very supportive), AC works incredibly well, trunk space is big, it's quiet inside even at upper highway speeds, I even like the soft suspension for the smooth ride.

Hyundai, you need to honor your promised long warranty. Having read numerous posting here about denied warranty, I can relate. The only "warranty" that was honored was the airbag light problem AFTER I had already paid for repairs. All other work I thought should be warranty related, denied.

Buyer Beware
By Henry

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Elantra for almost a year, I bought it for around $4,500 in 2009. As I write this considering the age and mileage of my car I have boon somewhat lucky considering how hard I drive it. I have had some somewhat minor issues like CV joint problems and ball joint issues. Still I would definitely not recommend anyone buy one, unless it was in very good shape. Look into buying a reliable car and don't rush into buying. I wish someone would have told me this but instead I rushed and bought something cheap and I could have done better and so can you.

Trunk space, interior room, Easy to use and read interior gauge, although my radio light is broken. Horrible paint quality. Squeaky time

Acceleration, Exterior design, Interior quality, Can't handle the slightest heavy load.. the car has horrible drag with more then four people. Also my auto driver side window button gets stuck. Car shakes at high speeds. High noise over 40 mph. Gas mileage isn't nearly where it's suggested.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Bigger motor, more power

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

None

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.