2006 Honda Pilot EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2006 Pilot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Sort Reviews by

Love My Pilot
By Leann

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Pilot new and never have had any service work done! I love my Pilot. Very nice ride.

Favorite Features

dependable, roomy, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Noisy tires on highway.

So Far So Good
By Pat M

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leased in June 2006. So far so good. Very reliable. Only oil change maintenance. No major problems or repair work. Except for a bad back speaker that the service dept said there was nothing wrong with...it still isn't fixed. Currently deciding if I should purchase after lease ends July 2009.

Favorite Features

Seat heaters, roomy interior, 3rd seat fold down, sunroof, leather seats. Easy to drive and has great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights are too low and dim. Some controls are oddly placed, such as cruise control and sunroof switches. Cold have better gas mileage. Wish it had better radio system. Interior finish is lackluster. Road noise.

Horrible On Gas!
By John

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read all these great reviews about the Honda pilot having good gas mileage for its size, well guess what? NOT TRUE! Horrible! 10 - 12 miles in the winter city driving, and 13-14 in the summer city driving. On the highway I would get about 18 mpg. Where did they get 18 city and 24 hwy? I had it for not even 2 years and got rid of it. I'm not here to only insult the gas mileage. it was reliable and I had no problems with it. The Japanese still have a lot of work when it comes to the mid-size suv segment. More torque than horsepower! Is it that hard for Honda to do that? Apparently yes. I guess they should stick to small lightweight cars. Up next for me? Definitely not the '09 Pilot

Favorite Features

The exterior is beautiful, no doubt. Love the standard fogs on the Ex model (which is what i had).

Suggested Improvements

The defrost system works slower than the turtles we all see on the Dsl commercials. The gas is just darn wright horrible, and is it to hard to make that moonroof a little bigger?

love it
By karen

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love pretty much everything about this car. It is a great alternative for those of us who don't want to drive a mini-van but still want to have all that room and comfort. Great space inside. I have sat in the third row with my son on an hour and a half drive and it was okay. I do not suggest any longer than that for adults, but plenty of space for the wee ones. I love the gear shift on the steering column, it frees up the center console for other things like my purse. It is a very comfortable car to drive and I drive over an hour to work. I love the fact that the second row of seats recline, it makes it so much more comfortable on a long drive.

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, reclining 2nd row, roomy center console, electronic adjustable seats are great! Quiet engine with enough get up and go for merging into traffic. cylinder management saves gas on the road.

Suggested Improvements

the usual honda road noise needs improving. would love memory seats and an auto dimming rear view mirror.

Great for the Money
By tmqn

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's SUV; replaced an Oddy (bad trans, bad cat converter at 112K). Have nearly 40K miles in 1.5 years; back/forth to a lake house we have. Also do a lot of antiquing/hauling. Looked at everything before buying, and very happy with purchase. I see the suggested improvements on the review boards, but we have had no real issues and it's the best deal for the money, hands-down. Little noisy on the highway, really does better with high test gas, but overall we really like the overall quality and reliability (with my wife on the road alone a lot). BTW: we get about 22/18 mpg.

Favorite Features

Features for the money -- cd, roof, leather, 3rd row seat, heated seats/mirrors, electronic mirrors, pwr seat, maintenance indicators, tire pressure, etc. Handles very well for a larger heavy SUV. Larger on inside than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Be more honest about best fuel to use -- used 87 octane (according to book), and have carbon build-up at 40K mi. Only $150 service, but should not happen with newer vehicles. Add pwr passenger seat to EXL model. Never have figured out how to use XM with radio steering controls.

Noisy ErgoNot
By talldriver2

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a Honda Pilot because of Honda's reputation and my need for an SUV. I traded in a fully-loaded, Ford Explorer Ltd Edition, that was a fun and reliable piece of luxury machinery. I came to realize that the Pilot is incredibly noisy on the highway. Every little creak and creep of the tires, body and plastic is amplified tenfold. Additionally, the egonomics are ErgoNOTmics. The steering wheel blocks the gauges. The steering controls are constantly being activated by my fingers, accidentally, while turning (very annoying and dangerous). The radio controls are backwards and difficult to reach with the seat completely back. The trip odometers are impossible to reset while driving, etc.

Favorite Features

The engine is very reliable, the steering is excellent and the storage space is great. The tranny shifts very smoothly and the AWD is outstanding in New England snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the ride noise. Improve the paint job. (My hood is full of tiny chips, after only 9,500 miles and I don't live or drive in a sandy or stony area.) The heated seats are a real disappointment. They take about 15 minutes to get to warm, 20 minutes to reach setpoint. My Explorer took 2 minutes.

My 7th and final Honda
By judi

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 6 Hondas (cars) we were in the market for something with more space. This is a great fit that suits our needs. The fuel mileage on mine is much better than reported for every tank I calculate, never less than 20 but as high as 25 on a long trip, no complaints there. Where the big disappointment comes in is road noise and rattles. Car has been back to dealers (2) numerous times for rattles but for some reason they continue on. Although we've been loyal Honda buyers for many years, this is beyond annoying and will have to look beyond Honda for future purchases.

Favorite Features

3rd row seats. Lots of space in back for all our stuff when traveling. Handling is smooth.

Suggested Improvements

With Hondas technology surely they can make these ride quieter. You might have more repeat buyers that way.

A good choice
By budinct

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put over 10K miles on the Pilot and I have had no problems or issues. It drives very smooth and handles great. I finally have used it in the snow and it feels very secure. I have owned three SUVs (MB, Jeep x2) and the Honda is the best value and fit.

Favorite Features

Exterior style, roominess, standard features, low TCO.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see standard dimming rear view mirror, auto off lights and better standard tores.

Great SUV but LOUSY mileage
By Faye

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Pilot but the mileage is the PITS (thank God, I don't drive far to work). Also, when driving you hear a lot of road noise-this was disappointing as I thought it would have been more sound proof. The doors slam solid shut, but if the window is down and you close the door, it almost rattles. One other thing I don't like is when you wind the window down in the am, the dew drips into the car and onto the handle where the window controls are. Makes me concerned that there will eventually be water damage there. I bought a window guard. Other than these gripes, I love driving this vehicle. It feels very solid on the road.

Favorite Features

seat warmers (for when it's cold out), Good a/c, the extra third row though it's not too roomy.

Suggested Improvements

not enough trunk space, but what do you expect. It's not a van, and the third row takes up the extra space.

Great Vehicle
By Gamecock

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only thing that would be nice is better fuel economy. But I understand as this is a big SUV. Love everything about it.

Favorite Features

Leather, sunroof, iPod adapter, xm radio