Used 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Give me a brake
By ericlight

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda spent a lot of time redesigning this minivan but skimped on the quality. There should be a class action lawsuit over brake warpage and suspension noise. Honda is charging consumers to routinely fix a design defect. If rotors warp at 12-15k miles regardless of driving style then you have a design flaw. Everyone we know who owns this van has warped rotors. So much of this van is well designed but they didn't car about the most important safety system.

True 8 passenger seating unlike any other van. Good handling. Flexible layout. Good control layout.

Brakes, rough ride after a while, make front seats softer and better for long trips. Awd.

The name Honda is no longer synonymous with quality
By equiuga

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Odyssey EX-L with around 23K on it and it IMMEDIATELY started to shake when braking. I took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors free of charge. 3K miles later it started shaking AGAIN and they wanted me to pay for it for over $300.00. I am now at 47K and getting my first brake job and am told that I need rotors FRONT AND BACK to the tune of $1200.00. FOR A BRAKE JOB! I am calling Honda America b/c I am infuriated. I have owned 4 previous Hondas, a Subaru Outback and a Ford F-150 and have NEVER EVER had issues with my rotors like this, even with the awful Ford! I have also had problems with the suspension, rear hatch, RES, rim peeling, and transmission. AWFUL!

Interior and exterior styling are attractive.

Quality of the mechanics beneath the "skin". You know the saying "beauty is only skin deep," well that applies to the Odyssey.

Second Time Owner
By jvp58

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Odyssey my first was 2010 this one 2012. They both seem to have similar problems with the quality of the front end. I have had the 2012 for 2 yrs now and these are my thoughts. Before I go on let me say that I'm very familiar with how a car works mechanically. With 22,000 miles the van is in the shop for the following problems. Noise in left front, worse in the winter, grinding noise from engine,worse a low idle and strong vibration when applying brakes, worse when on highway. Just received call from service manager and here is the list of things that need to be replaced. Stabilizer links and bushings, Power steering pump, Front brakes and rotors and the two front tires.

I ran out of room on my review, so the brakes and rotors not covered as the tires are not. They are cheap tires. Most of my miles are highway, the brakes and rotors shouldn't have to be replaced. I'm not happy. Let me add that they van does ride well on highway and has plenty of room for my family which ranges from 4 to 6 people at times. Not all bad but for the money you think it would be better quality.

Cut down on road noise and air noise. Be able to control rear A/C from front of car, can only control temp but not fan speed. Use better tires so that they don't wear out so soon and use better quality materials in the front end and brake system. I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and at 43,000 miles I just did a front brake job along with rotors and thats mostly city miles. So next van I get will probably be a Toyota they seem to have better quality parts.

My Honda Odyssey is a Lemon!
By atlantalemon

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in 2012 and paid cash for this car. It broke down on the interstate 150 miles from Atlanta with a clogged ERG valve with 30,000 miles on it. The carborator broke apart also and it spent 7 days in the shop. This was in 2013. Now, 4/2014, I drove 1,000 miles after I changed the oil & all the oil is burning up! They are going to re-built the entire engine because it is burning oil at a rate of a 30 year old car! I will Never purchase a Honda again! Do your research because I have after all these problems and many Honda owners have had similar problems. They are lemons and my $40,000 went down the drain! I will Never Buy Honda Again!

None its a lemon

Do not buy a Honda

2012 Honda Odyssey STILL VIBRATING (10 YEARS LATER)
By tdadamchik

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As I head towards arbitration in January 2013 with Honda and do more independent research, it appears that this unfortunate vibration issue has been occuring as long back as 2001. Honda should be ashamed. I am making a personal mission to spread the word of the lack of Honda quality. Honda offered 4500 (2000 of which the lawyer gets) to shut me up and move on. I said, "Thanks but no thanks". Im taking my chances and going before arbitrator. I wanted Honda to pay the difference of what I owe and the KBB so I can just get rid of this thing. They said no. Consumers can only be fooled for so long Honda. The word will spread. [HTML removed]

None. I have this vibrating vehicle. The first time we are stranded on the side of I95, I will be filing a civil suit with the words I told you so somewhere in the deposition. Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! is the most valuable advice you can save yourself. Get a nice vibration-free Toyota Sienna!

Stop the vibration. For the love of God, how many people have to complain before you hire competent engineers to fix this problem? Put a fix in place. Nissan made good years ago on their trucks regarding the transmission coolant line running through the radiator. They fixed it for all consumers FREE of charge. I know, because I had a Nissan with 65000 miles. Nissan made good on their product. Honda has customers complaining for 11 years and has done nothing.