2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Second Time Owner
By jvp58 on 09/10/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Odyssey my first was 2010 this one 2012. They both seem to have similar problems with the quality of the front end. I have had the 2012 for 2 yrs now and these are my thoughts. Before I go on let me say that I'm very familiar with how a car works mechanically. With 22,000 miles the van is in the shop for the following problems. Noise in left front, worse in the winter, grinding noise from engine,worse a low idle and strong vibration when applying brakes, worse when on highway. Just received call from service manager and here is the list of things that need to be replaced. Stabilizer links and bushings, Power steering pump, Front brakes and rotors and the two front tires.

My Honda Odyssey is a Lemon!
By atlantalemon on 03/16/14 06:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in 2012 and paid cash for this car. It broke down on the interstate 150 miles from Atlanta with a clogged ERG valve with 30,000 miles on it. The carborator broke apart also and it spent 7 days in the shop. This was in 2013. Now, 4/2014, I drove 1,000 miles after I changed the oil & all the oil is burning up! They are going to re-built the entire engine because it is burning oil at a rate of a 30 year old car! I will Never purchase a Honda again! Do your research because I have after all these problems and many Honda owners have had similar problems. They are lemons and my $40,000 went down the drain! I will Never Buy Honda Again!

2012 Honda Odyssey STILL VIBRATING (10 YEARS LATER)
By tdadamchik on 12/10/12 17:47 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As I head towards arbitration in January 2013 with Honda and do more independent research, it appears that this unfortunate vibration issue has been occuring as long back as 2001. Honda should be ashamed. I am making a personal mission to spread the word of the lack of Honda quality. Honda offered 4500 (2000 of which the lawyer gets) to shut me up and move on. I said, "Thanks but no thanks". Im taking my chances and going before arbitrator. I wanted Honda to pay the difference of what I owe and the KBB so I can just get rid of this thing. They said no. Consumers can only be fooled for so long Honda. The word will spread. [HTML removed]

Love this van!!
By brittanyx3 on 10/20/12 13:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For one I am young, but have 3 kids 4,6, and 9! I was very hesitant on getting another mini van after i got out of my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan about 2 yrs ago! But i love this van! I dont feel like I am driving a mini van! The kids love the space that we have now after coming out of a 2010 Kia Forte Koup! They can move!!! The vans design is fabulous and love the 3 seats in the middle row! This is my first Honda ever so pretty thrilled with it so far! The drive is smooth! You dont even know its running after you start it! Has alot of power and love the electric doors and trunk! If you are looking for a good quality van this is for you!

Drive it on the Interstate before you buy
By jaw407 on 10/11/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2008 Odyssey Ex-L with Nav. and rear entertainment for the 2012 EX-L. I tried to return the van the next day and was told my trade was already shipped off and they didn't have it anymore. What a disappointment in the drive. The dealership is not near the highway so the test drive was fine. It wasn’t until after I bought the van and got onto the Interstate that “buyer’s remorse” set in. The wife and I could hardly carry a conversation from the loud road and wind noise. The steering is much more sensitive and it felt like the van was getting blown all over the highway. My 2008 was much quieter and the drive was more enjoyable than this 2012. We travel a lot on the interstate and if I ever get equity back I’m trading it in as soon as I can.

It checks the boxes but almost impresses
By psychic99 on 09/17/12 09:47 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

OK my 2005 Sienna XLE needed new --loved it. First thing, I can't believe how the interiors of these vans have CHEAPENED over the years. So much so I couldn't stomach the new Sienna. The Ody was just passable. Already the door switches are scratched because of the cheap plastic. I almost pulled the trigger on the Quest but couldn't get over the ugly stick and the suboptimal tranny (CVT). I have a Maxi CVT, it's just the load killed it. In any case driver console is just cheap. All the rest of the car is great. What were they thinking? Also should have 110 in 2nd row, not 3rd. Lots of finishing not good. Had to slap a few panels in, pull some plastic and carpet fibers. Hmm...

Great car to drive, just not a 4 kid car
By yinzermama on 09/03/12 09:11 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Middle row not as functional as initially thought. Traded in '08 8 pass Sienna for it. If you have 2 kids tops who use the middle as "captians" with the center down all the time - 3 in car seats - or 1 in the middle, 2 in the back - it would work. But the 8th spot is not comfy for all the time seating and the outboard seats, when slid to get in the back, still make a tight space and don't revert to their original position once up. Also you have to push the BACK of the seat to lock it so if your kid forgets you are driving with a seat bonking around you can't reach to click back in place. Long term, with 4 kids, I think a true 2 captain's chair set up would have been better for us.

Redesign not so functional
By gmlkz on 04/05/12 06:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been singing the praises of Honda for years and this is the 3rd that we've owned. Just got the 2012, and although they've added some great new features, I'm rather disappointed with some of the redesign. They took away a bunch of useful storage, which kept me neatly organized w/ my brew of kids & friends. their marketing materials now advertise how great it is to fit a piece of plywood in the back with the seats folded. That's great, but it no longer neatly fits my compact single stroller in the back with the seats up like the old model did. Seems like they forgot that many people purchasing minivans have kids, use storage, and push strollers, more often than hauling wood.

Disappointed!
By mom_on_the_go on 02/23/12 18:56 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a new 2012 Odyssey in Dec. I traded in my 2008 Sienna with over 100,000 miles. Big mistake!!! I really enjoyed driving the Sienna. It was easy to maneuver and I had no problems getting in and out of parking spaces. It also had nice leg room in the front. The Odyssey leg space is so small my husband sits in the back with the kids even on short trips around town. The worst parts are the SLOW back doors and the fact you have to hold down on the remote key for 3 seconds before the doors begin to open. Big issue- the car pulls to the left when going over 60 mph in fast lane. Service dept said it was because of minor slant in road for drainage?!?!

I love my Odyssey
By michard85 on 11/06/11 07:21 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At first I did not want to get a minivan, but with 2 kids and my wife watching my nephew, the decision to buy one made perfect sense. The Odyssey is so smooth, easy to drive, and turns on a dime. My wife loves to drive it and I don't mind driving it myself. It's quiet but don't let that fool you. If you need to, just punch it and it will surprise you on the amount of power it has. The automatic doors are a life saver, especially at Walmart.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Odyssey in VA is:

$123 per month*