Used 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Second Time Owner
By jvp58

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Odyssey my first was 2010 this one 2012. They both seem to have similar problems with the quality of the front end. I have had the 2012 for 2 yrs now and these are my thoughts. Before I go on let me say that I'm very familiar with how a car works mechanically. With 22,000 miles the van is in the shop for the following problems. Noise in left front, worse in the winter, grinding noise from engine,worse a low idle and strong vibration when applying brakes, worse when on highway. Just received call from service manager and here is the list of things that need to be replaced. Stabilizer links and bushings, Power steering pump, Front brakes and rotors and the two front tires.

Favorite Features

I ran out of room on my review, so the brakes and rotors not covered as the tires are not. They are cheap tires. Most of my miles are highway, the brakes and rotors shouldn't have to be replaced. I'm not happy. Let me add that they van does ride well on highway and has plenty of room for my family which ranges from 4 to 6 people at times. Not all bad but for the money you think it would be better quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cut down on road noise and air noise. Be able to control rear A/C from front of car, can only control temp but not fan speed. Use better tires so that they don't wear out so soon and use better quality materials in the front end and brake system. I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and at 43,000 miles I just did a front brake job along with rotors and thats mostly city miles. So next van I get will probably be a Toyota they seem to have better quality parts.

My Honda Odyssey is a Lemon!
By atlantalemon

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in 2012 and paid cash for this car. It broke down on the interstate 150 miles from Atlanta with a clogged ERG valve with 30,000 miles on it. The carborator broke apart also and it spent 7 days in the shop. This was in 2013. Now, 4/2014, I drove 1,000 miles after I changed the oil & all the oil is burning up! They are going to re-built the entire engine because it is burning oil at a rate of a 30 year old car! I will Never purchase a Honda again! Do your research because I have after all these problems and many Honda owners have had similar problems. They are lemons and my $40,000 went down the drain! I will Never Buy Honda Again!

Favorite Features

None its a lemon

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy a Honda

2012 Honda Odyssey STILL VIBRATING (10 YEARS LATER)
By tdadamchik

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As I head towards arbitration in January 2013 with Honda and do more independent research, it appears that this unfortunate vibration issue has been occuring as long back as 2001. Honda should be ashamed. I am making a personal mission to spread the word of the lack of Honda quality. Honda offered 4500 (2000 of which the lawyer gets) to shut me up and move on. I said, "Thanks but no thanks". Im taking my chances and going before arbitrator. I wanted Honda to pay the difference of what I owe and the KBB so I can just get rid of this thing. They said no. Consumers can only be fooled for so long Honda. The word will spread. [HTML removed]

Favorite Features

None. I have this vibrating vehicle. The first time we are stranded on the side of I95, I will be filing a civil suit with the words I told you so somewhere in the deposition. Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! Do not buy a Honda Odyssey! is the most valuable advice you can save yourself. Get a nice vibration-free Toyota Sienna!

Suggested Improvements

Stop the vibration. For the love of God, how many people have to complain before you hire competent engineers to fix this problem? Put a fix in place. Nissan made good years ago on their trucks regarding the transmission coolant line running through the radiator. They fixed it for all consumers FREE of charge. I know, because I had a Nissan with 65000 miles. Nissan made good on their product. Honda has customers complaining for 11 years and has done nothing.

Love this van!!
By brittanyx3

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For one I am young, but have 3 kids 4,6, and 9! I was very hesitant on getting another mini van after i got out of my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan about 2 yrs ago! But i love this van! I dont feel like I am driving a mini van! The kids love the space that we have now after coming out of a 2010 Kia Forte Koup! They can move!!! The vans design is fabulous and love the 3 seats in the middle row! This is my first Honda ever so pretty thrilled with it so far! The drive is smooth! You dont even know its running after you start it! Has alot of power and love the electric doors and trunk! If you are looking for a good quality van this is for you!

Favorite Features

Everything!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

None!!!

Drive it on the Interstate before you buy
By jaw407

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2008 Odyssey Ex-L with Nav. and rear entertainment for the 2012 EX-L. I tried to return the van the next day and was told my trade was already shipped off and they didn't have it anymore. What a disappointment in the drive. The dealership is not near the highway so the test drive was fine. It wasn’t until after I bought the van and got onto the Interstate that “buyer’s remorse” set in. The wife and I could hardly carry a conversation from the loud road and wind noise. The steering is much more sensitive and it felt like the van was getting blown all over the highway. My 2008 was much quieter and the drive was more enjoyable than this 2012. We travel a lot on the interstate and if I ever get equity back I’m trading it in as soon as I can.

Favorite Features

Comfortable drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

First and foremost; Get Rid of the road and air noise. Fix both side view mirrors. There is a larger than normal blind spot. Re-position the air control knobs. While driving when you adjust the temp. you can't see what degree you are setting it to because your hand is in the way. Cheap plastics, especially dashboard.