Used 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Like the newer style , but liked interior of 07
By MarieB.

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving a 2012 (bought used) for almost a year. I traded in my 07 Odyssey for the 2012. I like the updated style of the exterior, but I miss some of the features of the 07. It drives/handles just fine, no complaints. There is quite a bit of road noise, for the $$$ a quieter interior would be expected. I like the way the 3rd row seats fold so easily. The center console is a poor design, once you put stuff on top, it's a hassle to get to anything that may have been put inside. Drawers would be a good idea. We miss the cup holders on the sides of the 2nd row seats. There is a center fold down with cup holders, but that isn't always down if there is an extra passenger or if the kids want to spread out. It is comfy, both the 07 and the 12 are super comfy and roomy. We've taken road trips with 4 adults and 2 kids with plenty of room for everyone and their stuff. I wish the power lift hatch was available on the lower models, I paid more because that is one feature I really wanted; but the other features aren't used often. All in all, we're pleased, but it is expensive.

IF you have to drive a minivan this is the one to
By Phil Brewer

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

SO, no one lays awake at night dreaming of their new minivan, right? A BMW 5 series, yes! A minivan, not so much. THat being said, I needed a minivan, I insisted on a degree of luxury and comfort combined with good handling and economy at the gas station. THis car did it all. Overall I averaged 24mpg in 55k miles of driving. Easily got 29-31mpg on the highway. Admittedly I am not a lead-foot. For my everyday commute it was fine. Where it really shone was trips to Costco and family treks. I could get all four of my kids and my wife and travel in comfort with the fantastic extra wide DVD entertaining them. I loaded up all my CD's on the harddrive for unlimited listening options. THe Nav display is recessed so it doesn't get direct sun glare. I would definitely recommend it as the best minivan option for someone who needs one. As for winter driving, the forward traction 2WD was pretty good and I made it better by switching to snow tires during the cold months.

Disappointed to say the least
By CN

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a dismal experience with a 2011 Toyota Sienna, which we purchased new, we bought the Odyssey in large part based on the 140,000 trouble-free miles put on our 2003 Odyssey.

Initially, all was well. But, in two years and a tad under 50,000 miles, we had to replace the power steering pump and transmission (though that took four trips to the dealer before Honda relented). There was also a chronic grinding/whining noise that intermittently came from the a/c compressor and was never fixed. Not wanting to risk more failures, we traded it in for a 2014 Odyssey before the warranty ran out.

Eighteen months and 31,000 miles into the 2014 model, it has been trouble-free, just like the 2003 model.

Give me a brake
By ericlight

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda spent a lot of time redesigning this minivan but skimped on the quality. There should be a class action lawsuit over brake warpage and suspension noise. Honda is charging consumers to routinely fix a design defect. If rotors warp at 12-15k miles regardless of driving style then you have a design flaw. Everyone we know who owns this van has warped rotors. So much of this van is well designed but they didn't car about the most important safety system.

True 8 passenger seating unlike any other van. Good handling. Flexible layout. Good control layout.

Brakes, rough ride after a while, make front seats softer and better for long trips. Awd.

The name Honda is no longer synonymous with quality
By equiuga

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Odyssey EX-L with around 23K on it and it IMMEDIATELY started to shake when braking. I took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors free of charge. 3K miles later it started shaking AGAIN and they wanted me to pay for it for over $300.00. I am now at 47K and getting my first brake job and am told that I need rotors FRONT AND BACK to the tune of $1200.00. FOR A BRAKE JOB! I am calling Honda America b/c I am infuriated. I have owned 4 previous Hondas, a Subaru Outback and a Ford F-150 and have NEVER EVER had issues with my rotors like this, even with the awful Ford! I have also had problems with the suspension, rear hatch, RES, rim peeling, and transmission. AWFUL!

Interior and exterior styling are attractive.

Quality of the mechanics beneath the "skin". You know the saying "beauty is only skin deep," well that applies to the Odyssey.