2002 Honda Odyssey 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - SUV Replacement

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Review

EX Passenger Minivan (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

SUV Replacement
By John K on

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought our Odyssey to replace a Nissan Pathfinder after my second son was born & we realized that the SUV was not going to cut it space-wise. We needed something that could pull our pop-up and lug all the things that a typical family hauls around for traveling together. So far the van has been excellent with no major problems and returns excellent gas mileage in comparison to our old vehicle. On one extended trip we averaged between 26 & 28 mpg. Short trips return around 18.5, which is about what our SUV got on the highway. The van drives well and at 240 hp, it has plenty of guts for merging, passing, and towing. Not as cool as my previous sports cars, but not bad and really handy.

Favorite Features

The ability to haul around 7 people in reasonable comfort or plywood & lumber if necessary. I brought home a new washing machine with the 2nd row seats in place. I love the VVT engine, very smooth and fairly powerful, reminds me of driving the Acura TL, which I believe shares that engine.

Suggested Improvements

The foam sides on the center tray cup holders are laughable and soon loose their resiliency. Honda should eliminate having the AC come on automatically with the Auto setting on climate control. It wastes fuel and wears out the compressor. Most customers can figure out when they want their AC on.