Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

It's Been A Good Van
By Pat

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new because my 6ft 2in husband could fit comfortably. We owned 3 Ford Aerostars I loved. This van sits lower to the ground; I like high. No major problems but I don't understand why it likes to roll back on an incline. Dealer said that was normal. It can carry 4 kids in the back and 3 in the center with the seats pushed together. I'll keep it til 200,000 miles and look at a Pilot.

Favorite Features

The middle seats push together. The navigational system - can't live without it!

Suggested Improvements

Noise is noticeable.

We love our Odyssey!
By Dwayne

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have driven this minivan crisscrossed throughout the southeast and loved every mile. The car has had no repairs. It runs like a sewing machine and has great room for all that my wife buys. We both drive it around town and wish it got better mileage, but at 19mpg city I'll take it.

Favorite Features

Drives like a car. Excellent cargo capacity. Comfortable and useful in almost all situations.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the timing belt with chain.

Wife calls this her "Grapefruit"
By bjgreen

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It isn't quite a lemon, but the legendary Honda reliability has passed our van over - hence we call it a "grapefruit." We bought the van new in 2001 and it continues to be our primary family (of five) car. During warranty we had a leaking gasket and a defective fuel pump. After warranty we've had to replace the hinges for both sliding doors and the key cylinder ignition. So the car has left us stranded twice in 8 years. One of the plastic air conditioner knobs split (we glued it back together). The drivers side interior door handle's metallic covering started to peel off and was sharp enough to cut my wife's finger. It is now wrapped in duct tape.

Favorite Features

The interior is very intelligent. The ability to re-arrange seats, and completely flatten the rear-bench is great. The stereo and climate controls on the center stack are laid out really nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability needs to improve. It may be that the type of driving soccer moms tend to put on vans requires an extra level of sturdiness beyond what Honda typically puts into passenger cars.

Versatile, passenger/utility vehicle
By Satisfied Customer

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle to replace a pickup truck and provide with added passenger capacity. It has exceeded all expectation. I chose the Honda for its record of reliability and its engine torque rating. Its towing capacity (3500 lbs) and interior space (capable of carrying a 4x8 sheet) easily cover my need for a pickup truck. I remove the seats, layout a custom fit carpet and carry tools and building materials inside. It makes a comfortable family van. I have pulled a camper over 10000 mi with no problems. On a trip to Mexico City (no towing) I averaged 27 MPG. On fishing trips to Canada I have carried 6 guys comfortably. Other than standard maintenance I have had no repair costs.

Favorite Features

Traction control, ABS, towing package, gas mileage (27/20), power.

Suggested Improvements

Between seat console compartment rather than tray. I added a 10ga fused wire for trailer connection. There are times I wish I had a 5000 lb towing capacity

Great Van
By sueber

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new in Jan 2001, now Sept 2008 it has 102000 miles. No major problems, maintains quality impression of Honda. Around town it gets 16 MPG, on highway it's 23+. Just took a 700 mile round trip from NJ to VT. Going it got 24+ MPG, returning it got 23+ MPG. Easy to drive, and very comfortable ride. After 7 years of ownership it is still a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Room, seating arrangement options.

Suggested Improvements

None.