Used 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )

Very Reliable, Very Forgiving, and Very Good MPG
By fusioncell

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

159k miles now. 37Mpg hwy . Replaced coil pack, brakes, and thermostat housing were the only normal maintenance items. The sporty look and functionality of the ZX3 Hatchback still makes me happy. After 10 years of owning the 1st year made Focus, our daughter ran off the road through a ditch and cut down a few small trees with this car. She was unhurt, the Focus was bent but not broken beyond repair. A motor mount, a tie rod, a tire, and some exhaust rebending put her back in good balance. Yes, and some body work on the rear quarter... but that was the only real big expense. Everything was repairable by the weekend warrior skills of good neighbors. Great car !

Front buckets are big and comfortable for such a small car, made long distance driving better.

At 133HP for year 2000... it is a little underpowered uphill in 5th gear. Could use a turbo, or supercharger.

Great engineering!Great car
By joser93

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Awsome car its been in the family for 13 years never huge repairs just maintance that i have performed always did oil changes on time transmission service a/c blows ice cold at 35 degrees engine has 120 hp and it beat a 2011honda si an audi s4 , audi v6, audi 1.8 turbo. Honda hatch 1.8 vtec honda crx with a 1.8 gsr so my focus can take them. Over all car has been great no major issues with motor has passed all smogs with no problems iys still runs at 14.67 :1 afr i get 35-40 mpg high way even at 3000 rpm

I love the 2.0 4 cly engine i put a borla exaust on it it sounds mean haha with an intake and a power programmer i get 150 hp :)

A little more hp would be nice and maybe a kit to make it awd :)

Love My Ford Focus
By edcetera

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Ford Focus is the only vehicle that I've bought brand new ... on an angry whim when another Ford I owned broke down one too many times. Turns out, it was a great move. I've had it now for 12 years and it has 335,00 miles on it. I'm shooting for 400,000! More importantly, other than routine maintainance, the car has only had mechanical problems 3 times in all those years and miles (a broken fan belt, and two failed alternators). That's it! There are some minor things that have eventually failed, such as a CD player which, for some weird reason, only allows me to change CDs the first thing in the morning. I still drive it daily for work. I still drive it daily with no fears.

Very, very dependable car .... I've had only 3 mechanical problems in 12 years! Cute looking, comfortable to sit in for long periods. Great sound system. I love my Focus!

It does seem that the brakes wear out faster than they should. They also squeek something.

We parted ways on our 10 year anniversary :(
By katemcn

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car. I bought it slightly used in 2001 for 8K. Had it paid off in 3 years. I learned to drive standard on it. It took me to Humboldt County in California for college. Later, Sacramento. San Francisco. Nevada. Texas! Other than routine maintenance, expenses were incredibly minimal. Gas mileage was a dream. Just this year things started falling apart @130K mi. (Computer needs total re-calibration; dies at idle; other problems.) I did hope to get more mileage out of it, but I can't complain-- this car hardly cost me anything for an entire decade! It saw me through my entire 20's, and it's near the end of its life. I'll shed a tear in a couple of days when I scrap it for parts.

Great gas mileage! Comfortable seats. Nice stock stereo. Smooth ride. Ice-cold AC until the end. Generally quite reliable. Easy to change oil/filter at home. Parallel parks like a champ in big cities or crowded areas. Overall very low maintenance.

When the window is down and the car is moving, there's a pulsating sound that's a little off-putting. Recently, mechanics have told me the engine is not arranged in a logical or convenient way, and had trouble repairing it. I do wish it would have lasted another 50K mi. But I suppose it would have cost more in the first place if it were that reliable. Frankly, I'm surprised (and grateful) it lasted this long.

Very Reliable
By mazzaro67

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Well balanced, handling and solid feel without the road noise !!! Overall a great designed and attractive hatchback. Ford Focus ZX3 got daughter home in her 1st blizzard at nite. Drove me to work for 8 years x 70miles each day. 5 very long trips over 1000 miles. I even slept in the back for 2 nites. Now at 112k miles, everything still works fine. I did change the following once: Battery, Brakes, Tires, Thermostat housing, Belts, hoses, filters, front tie rod links, and plugs. Nothing on this car is hard to work on either.

Great cargo/sleep space, Great mileage (also hit 41MPG hw). Front seats are big solid and suprisingly comforatable on long trips. Radio sounds great too, even after 11 years.

Nothing big... The front tie rod links needs better quality. I had discovered one bent, and popped out of a cheap plastic connector bushing. The replacement $20 Moog tie rod links are much stronger quality than the stock. Took me 15 minutes to replace them easily. This made a good difference in the way the Focus tracks solidly on the highway.