2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
WARNING!
By TNTStang on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Not pleased, 50000km's and have had 2 blown trannys, 1 front end suspension, 1 computer module, rusted step bars, 2 passenger balljoints, And I pamper the thing, no off roading, and I drive like a granny. Never another Explorer. Also a clunk from the rear that the dealer can't fix, apparently it is normal, it is not, I have driven others with no clunk.

Fordd Explorer 2 Door 4 Wheel Drive
By spasegrl on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I am delighted that so far I have been able to put appliances, etc that I need to haul in the back of my Explorer Sport without any difficulty. The suspension is a little bumpy though, even on decent roads. When the weather is cold the back door sticks and I can't get it open. Cold weather really affects the Explorer, and not for the good. My engine sometimes sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I would not recommend 2 doors for a family of more than 2- difficult to get out of te back.

Exploder is what it should be called!
By Exploder2000 on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I traded in my 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder so I could get a dependable SUV...what a mistake I made. I have only had this car for 11 months and have had nothing but problems. Timing chain (3 times), transmission (3 times), stalls out when you shift into gear, EGR Valve, and countless others. I hate this car!

Happy Camper
By cwiltz on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The only problem that I have had is that the timing chain was making a rattle on my V6SOHC engine. Fun to drive and great for a small family. I definately will consider the Explorer with 3 rows when it comes time to purchase again. They could improve slightly on the driver's seat having a little more room. Also the rear wiper seems to be in a spot where it can be bent easily.

disappointment
By ukleinschmidt on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

being German and just moved to the U.S., I bought the Explorer in 2000 to get the 'American' feeling of a SUV. Exploring the vehicle's behavior in the first year was interrupted by a 6 week break the service shop needed to replace the broken transmission. Riding the SUV felt like a 'bounce mobil', it is too stiff, the fuel economy is not the best and spped only in straight lanes, curves seem to destabilize the drinving behavior.

2000 Explorer XLS
By kuli42 on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV

I bought this car used with 40,000 miles on it. I have had a number of things go wrong (spark plugs, wires, oxygen sensor, IAC valve, transmission acting up). As long as you are willing and able to keep up with the "not-so-routine" maintenance it's not a bad vehicle. But when it developes a new noise just about every week that requires investigation, it gets a little tiring.

Will not Buy a Ford again
By sdouglas1 on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle with 3,000 miles on it. Right after the warranty went out, so did my transmission and a valve that it died every time it idled very long. I have other small problems as well. They kept calling to see if I wanted to buy and extended warranty and my suggestion was build a car that does break down after 35,000 miles.

A Lot Better Than My 2000 Ford Explorer
By wjddec10 on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When I got my 2002 explorer, i loved it a lot better than my 200 Explorer. I love the 3rd row seat, and believe it or not at 6'1", I can fit confortablly in the back for a good distance. The eager 239HP V8 is WONDERFUL and is a bit upgrade from the 215HP V8 from 2000, but it could use a little more power, about 20-30 more horses. It has great breaks and accelleration is top notch. The standard AM/FM/Cassette/CD sterio is pretty good for a standard sterio. Rear visibility is good and the large windows make it a good view all around. THANK GOD FORD PUT IN A INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION IN BACK!!! Hint hint GM and Chrysler!

Saved my life!!!
By Crystal N. on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I purchased my truck in June 03, over the weekend i was rear-ended at 65mph. The truck has since been totalled, but I am alive with a bruise! I was told a police officer i should have died. He hit my rear corner and it folded, the roof began to buckle from the force and i was plowed into a guard rail, I loved my truck but safety is FIRST, and i walked away with 1 bruise and whiplash, not to mention because i was stopped i didn't have my seatbelt on. I would buy another Explorer in a heartbeat. It may be a rough ride, but the bells and whistles are fun to have plus if you have children it's the most safest vehicle on the road (personally)

Never Buy a 2 Door SUV
By jemiller4golf on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and found that it did not handle well on wet roads and curves. Besides a hefty transmission repair bill, I have had issues with the ABS system, air bag indicator light, and keyless remote system. Before I purchase my next vehicle I will review any Technical Service Bulletins and Recall notices on the National Highway Safety website as I saw a number of issues listed for the Explorer that I am experiencing.