Used 2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice SUV Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!
By dylywylly

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

Um it's yellow! And I support my local economy by my repair costs.

This SUV is built like a car not like an SUV. Look at this and look at a Jeep Liberty, the liberty has a mor solid feel because it is built like an SUV. Very poor craftsmanship.

One of my best!
By wado

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot and have had many cars, trucks, SUVs but my 2002 Ford Escape was by far one of the best vehicles, that I have ever owned! The "ease", of entry/exit, is awesome, for me, and the performance vs mpg is a "perfect combination" I have owned over a hundred vehicles, mostly used, but 37 new, mostly Ford,GM, and this one stands out! Bravo to Ford for such a nice ride, just wish that they had left the spare INSIDE, where it belongs, and continued offering the column shift, for those of us, that are cramped by consoles. The redesigned 2008 and up are much more refined however!! Definitely worth a look!

Ease of entry/exit acceleration/braking/clearance in snow (great even w/o 4wd!) Standard sound system was great!

I did not care for the "look" of the gray unpainted front and rear bumper covers.

Great Vehicle
By JC

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is really great SUV. My mom has 2002 Ford Escape that already has over 273,000 miles. Her friend drove a lot for work and vacation. Then she brought it from her friend because they got new car. We take a good care of this vehicle and thanks god its working very good. We rode/drove it A LOT. Ford Escape goes very well on winter, I remember we made it on the hill with 2WD which is awesome. This SUV is better gas than Jeep and Chevy blazer. Her vehicle is a little bit bad shape now but as long its run like reliable and we're keeping until the car break down but this SUV never die.

Everything are perfect but not enough seats for more than five people though. That's OK.

That all I want this vehicle have bigger gas tank. Its only has 16 gallon gas tank.

lacks reliability and quality components
By Rachel

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4 yrs ago, used. So far I have had to fix the AC/heater 3 times, fix the parking brake twice (soon to be 3 times as it's going out again) and replace both the transmission and the CD player. And now there's an electric problem that is causing my emergency brake light and emissions system warning lights to come on for no reason, as well as causing failures in my CD player, dashboard lights, and gas gauge.

It has a lot of horsepower, which is fun, and it handles really quite well. Good storage, for it's size.

Inner workings are a nightmare. From what I've read a lot of people have had problems with their transmission, so I think Ford should issue a recall. Numerous electric problems, bad parking brake. needs better mpg.

Its a Keeper!
By Kbirch

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 13,000 miles. It gets 17mpg city, 20 mixed and 24 highway. I hope to drive it to 200,000 miles if the NY winters don't get to body/hardware first. It still drives/shifts as smooth as the day I picked it up back in '03. REPAIRS: I have had to replace the rear wiper motor at 60K, both front end tie rods at 70K and drivers side wheel bearing at 72K. Overall, no complaints though. Its a very reliable, fun car to drive and strongly recommend it for those looking for an subcompact SUV

Its a fun to drive car. Leg/headroom as I am 6'6" and have plenty of room all around. Great for hauling a trailer with my 4wheeler. Handles awesome in the snow, have driven it through 12" of snow with no problems.

Gas mileage