2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!
By dylywylly on 07/27/14 15:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

One of my best!
By wado on 05/05/10 22:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot and have had many cars, trucks, SUVs but my 2002 Ford Escape was by far one of the best vehicles, that I have ever owned! The "ease", of entry/exit, is awesome, for me, and the performance vs mpg is a "perfect combination" I have owned over a hundred vehicles, mostly used, but 37 new, mostly Ford,GM, and this one stands out! Bravo to Ford for such a nice ride, just wish that they had left the spare INSIDE, where it belongs, and continued offering the column shift, for those of us, that are cramped by consoles. The redesigned 2008 and up are much more refined however!! Definitely worth a look!

Great Vehicle
By JC on 12/05/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is really great SUV. My mom has 2002 Ford Escape that already has over 273,000 miles. Her friend drove a lot for work and vacation. Then she brought it from her friend because they got new car. We take a good care of this vehicle and thanks god its working very good. We rode/drove it A LOT. Ford Escape goes very well on winter, I remember we made it on the hill with 2WD which is awesome. This SUV is better gas than Jeep and Chevy blazer. Her vehicle is a little bit bad shape now but as long its run like reliable and we're keeping until the car break down but this SUV never die.

lacks reliability and quality components
By Rachel on 10/01/09 05:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4 yrs ago, used. So far I have had to fix the AC/heater 3 times, fix the parking brake twice (soon to be 3 times as it's going out again) and replace both the transmission and the CD player. And now there's an electric problem that is causing my emergency brake light and emissions system warning lights to come on for no reason, as well as causing failures in my CD player, dashboard lights, and gas gauge.

Its a Keeper!
By Kbirch on 09/08/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 13,000 miles. It gets 17mpg city, 20 mixed and 24 highway. I hope to drive it to 200,000 miles if the NY winters don't get to body/hardware first. It still drives/shifts as smooth as the day I picked it up back in '03. REPAIRS: I have had to replace the rear wiper motor at 60K, both front end tie rods at 70K and drivers side wheel bearing at 72K. Overall, no complaints though. Its a very reliable, fun car to drive and strongly recommend it for those looking for an subcompact SUV

Good American Car
By Jane Johnson on 06/22/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I first saw the Escape when it first arrived on the scene. I told my husband then that I wanted that car when I was ready to get another car. In 2002 I bought my first Escape. I have never had a sorry day. I love this car. It has 105000 miles on it now and it's never been in the shop for more than the usual oil changes. I am older and therefore have a problem climbing out of most cars. With my Escape I can climb up and hop down. That is the main reason I wanted a small SUV. I also have a horse so this great car can carry all my horse equipment with no problem. I think American cars get a bum rap. I get 21 miles to the gallon highway (I drive 30 miles to work each way). luv it

Love my Escape
By LJ on 06/30/08 18:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had very few problems with my Escape other than the recall issues. It's in the shop now for a new alternator but that after six years and 219,000 miles of driving. Thumbs up!

Reliable, durable vehicle
By waterseh on 03/18/08 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 7 and a half years and have never had a problem with it. I have done all the regularly scheduled maintainance and the car now has 140,000 miles on it and still runs like we first bought it. We have towed trailers, hauled lumber and taken it on some fairly easy trails (it is not 4WD) and it has always performed admirably. It even survived a rear-ending on the interstate and the subsequent $7,500 worth of damage. The only thing I would change about it is better fuel economy (22 city, 25 interstate), and that isn't even too bad for a SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle and it has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Not when it's broken
By hanges on 01/27/06 04:35 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best performing vehicle that I have EVER owned; too bad it had to go into the shop for work over 12 times in one year (20,000 miles). Rotors, fuel lines, EGR valve, fuel tank gaskets, etc. I did get 30 mpg with it and with it fully loaded (floor to ceiling with slip 40/60 seats) set the cruise at 72 and never have it drop below 70, even then going through the Rocky Mountains.

Changes I would make
By Jenifer on 07/15/05 00:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car locks should automatically lock when the vehicle is put into drive. There should be rear air conditioning for the back seat. The passenger seat should be automatic when needing to move back and forth. There have been two recalls to this vehicle. To spend $25,000+ you should get a car that has no recalls! Ford should compensate their customers on their recalls, especially when you spend that amount of money. Maybe replace the vehicles with a newer one or one with no imperfections.

1 2 3 4 5 next »